Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   steel frames with thin tubes cannot be locked outside? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/760398-steel-frames-thin-tubes-cannot-locked-outside.html)

hule 08-15-11 01:50 PM

steel frames with thin tubes cannot be locked outside?
 
how thin are the thin steel tubes on high end bikes? if left outside, there are two concerns,

one, any scratches while locked to a biking post will weaken the metal over time, worst case senario the bike will crumple during a ride. solution, use a (LOL) toptube protector...

two, leaving your bike outside in the rain will cause it to rust, the rust will weaken the frame.

the reason i made this topic was because others said it was easy to crumple up high end bike frame while trying to steal them. the theif would lift up the bike itself and use it as a lever against the lock. on a walmart bike the lock will pop, on a good bike with thin steel tubes, the bike itself will crumple while the lock stays intact.

so the question is it is safe to ride these flimsy bikes. sure they might be light but i like to use and abuse my bikes, not baby them, they need to be able to take a thrashing and still get me to places.

himespau 08-15-11 01:54 PM

The tubes may be thinner, but they are made of stronger steel, so I'd imagine it's pretty much a wash and what you're hearing is urban legend, but I don't really know. Now carbon fiber...that stuff will implode/melt if left out in the rain too long. That's a known fact. :innocent:

tagaproject6 08-15-11 01:55 PM

OP...Where are you getting your information? :eek:

StephenH 08-15-11 03:19 PM

If it's a bike you really care about, just don't leave it locked up outside unattended. Go get a heavy cheaper clunker, ride it for those events, save your good bike for other stuff. (The concerns about damaging the frame are just as valid for heavy steel frames and non-steel frames, btw).

JanMM 08-15-11 05:33 PM

They are little stronger than aluminum foil.:lol:

hule 08-15-11 05:42 PM

damn, Nivachrome steel have thier centers as thin as 0.4mm.

http://www.smartcycles.com/frame_materials.htm

Loose Chain 08-15-11 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hule (Post 13086781)
how thin are the thin steel tubes on high end bikes? if left outside, there are two concerns,

one, any scratches while locked to a biking post will weaken the metal over time, worst case senario the bike will crumple during a ride. solution, use a (LOL) toptube protector...

two, leaving your bike outside in the rain will cause it to rust, the rust will weaken the frame.

the reason i made this topic was because others said it was easy to crumple up high end bike frame while trying to steal them. the theif would lift up the bike itself and use it as a lever against the lock. on a walmart bike the lock will pop, on a good bike with thin steel tubes, the bike itself will crumple while the lock stays intact.

so the question is it is safe to ride these flimsy bikes. sure they might be light but i like to use and abuse my bikes, not baby them, they need to be able to take a thrashing and still get me to places.

Your post is full of WRONG thinking.

First, a Wall Mart bike is not stronger than a high end steel bicycle.

Second, even thin wall steel tubing is more damage tolerant than equally thin wall aluminum or carbon fiber which is known to fail catastrophically from almost invisible impact damage (internal delaminations).

Third, rust is really a non-issue and if it is then treat the frame with "Frame Saver" and if done so and keep the bike at all clean and waxed and maintained it will steel (pun) last longer than a carbon bike and longer than an aluminum bike and at worst, at least as long.

LC

fietsbob 08-15-11 09:00 PM

Because of using higher strength steel the tube wall can be thinner, in the center,
the outside diameter is unchanged.

cheap steel and lots of it makes, Schwinn Varsities the armageddon survivor bike. :crash:

scratches which form a stress-riser weakens aluminum that is flexed.

Quote:

so the question is it is safe to ride these flimsy bikes.
no, you should give them away, there are several on BF to take them off your hands :lol:

Pain 08-15-11 10:32 PM

I have seen some high end Dedacciai steel bikes with tubes so thin you can feel them flex when you squeeze them with your hand. Probably not the best choice for locking out in the rain.

tagaproject6 08-15-11 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pain (Post 13088919)
I have seen some high end Dedacciai steel bikes with tubes so thin you can feel them flex when you squeeze them with your hand. Probably not the best choice for locking out in the rain.

:roflmao:

bigbadwullf 08-16-11 07:44 AM

OP:
I'm a Prince in Nambia. My brother has been put in jail by an opposing political faction. I need $3,000,000 to secure his release. If you would be so kind to send any amount of money you can in USD......

hule 08-16-11 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf (Post 13089778)
OP:
I'm a Prince in Nambia. My brother has been put in jail by an opposing political faction. I need $3,000,000 to secure his release. If you would be so kind to send any amount of money you can in USD......

go lose some weight bye

himespau 08-16-11 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pain (Post 13088919)
I have seen some high end Dedacciai steel bikes with tubes so thin you can feel them flex when you squeeze them with your hand. Probably not the best choice for locking out in the rain.

are you sure those were really high end? can't imagine anything with that much flex would be wanted by anyone.

justadude 08-16-11 09:05 AM

Use 2 different locks. To minimize rust: I clean, wax, and lube a steel bike regularly. I always try to avoid leaving bikes in the rain or outdoors overnight. Usually if I try, I can find a covered place to park a bike. It's common sense.

hule 08-16-11 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 13090172)
Use 2 different locks. To minimize rust: I clean, wax, and lube a steel bike regularly. I always try to avoid leaving bikes in the rain or outdoors overnight. Usually if I try, I can find a covered place to park a bike. It's common sense.


exactly, i don't do this maintenance crap with my bike, if my bike gets some dirt on it i just leave it there, not even worth the 30 seconds to clean it up, got better things to do with my time, like anyone ever cleans their bike LOL.

today i just found out about this new product called framesaver, let me tell you if someone saw me waxing my bike or applying framesaver rust proofing on my bike they would have think i lost my head. just a bike, meant to be used an abused, i wish these manufacturers would stop cutting corners, these 0.4mm thin steel bikes won't even last 20 years. framesaver lol.

and i lock my bike outside in my backyard, rain or shine, just a bike, no need to baby it. and i got a good bike too, $500+ dollars. i take care of my gear, the way bikes are suppose to be taken care off. very little.

Robert Foster 08-16-11 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf (Post 13089778)
OP:
I'm a Prince in Nambia. My brother has been put in jail by an opposing political faction. I need $3,000,000 to secure his release. If you would be so kind to send any amount of money you can in USD......

I think I catch you drift. I wondered who would leave a high end bike made of anything out in the rain. Then I saw post 15. I only have one steel bike and it is my beater/utility/MTB and it is never left out in the rain. My other bikes will not even go out in the rain. :D

HappyStuffing 08-18-11 08:28 AM

Ya I'm on of those people who can't be bothered to "baby" my bike either. It still runs close to $1,000, but you'll never find me waxing it with frame saver or hesitating to leave it out in the rain because I have to run an errand. I'll wipe it down now and then if the dirt becomes way too caked on. I maintain the drive train and keep it tuned up, but this is like a once a week 20minute once over. If I see dirt on the frame, it adds character! If it get's rained on, it's getting washed!

flatlander_48 08-19-11 08:04 AM

NOTE:

Weigle's Framesaver is a rust inhibitor that is sprayed INSIDE the tubes. It is NOT a wax for the outside of frame tubes.

MichaelW 08-19-11 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himespau (Post 13090141)
are you sure those were really high end? can't imagine anything with that much flex would be wanted by anyone.

The thinnst tube ever was Reynolds ultra-lightweight 753 in its 1st version. Min wall thickness was about 0.3mm and definately crushable by hand. In normal riding, tubes are not subjected to crushing forces so it makes no difference to the stiffness of the frame. It was very difficult to work with, silver braze only by certified builders.

Most high end steel tubesets are much stronger in resisting crush and there is no problem leaving such frames locked up in the rain.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 AM.