Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unique saddle - the Easy Seat

    This is a unique saddle from the 1970's called the Easy Seat. It came and went and almost nobody noticed.

    I was lucky enough to get an original a couple of years ago. It is pretty neat. I used it for about a year. In fact, it wasn't any more comfortable than a normal seat. Maybe if I had a prostrate infection or hemorrhoids, it would be a different story.

    Anyway, I saw this on ebay today and thought you would get a kick out of it.
    Mike

  2. #2
    Dances with Rocks Dirtgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you forgot the link/pic Fred...
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough...

    To become a registered member of BikeForums Click Here

  3. #3
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheesh, what's going on here.

    One more time:
    Mike

  4. #4
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pic of the seat:
    Mike

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did't they used to make them in the 1870s.

  6. #6
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,838
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No thanks, I'll keep my 1973 Brooks Pro!

    The Easy Seat was designed by someone who knew something about human anatomy, but very little about the role of the saddle in stabilizing and integrating the bicycle and rider as a system. I would not want to use an Easy Seat on a fast descent through a series of switchbacks.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  7. #7
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by John E
    No thanks, I'll keep my 1973 Brooks Pro!

    The Easy Seat was designed by someone who knew something about human anatomy, but very little about the role of the saddle in stabilizing and integrating the bicycle and rider as a system. I would not want to use an Easy Seat on a fast descent through a series of switchbacks.
    Exactly, JohnE. I never realized how much the saddle nose is used for steering until I road the Easy Seat .

    Anyway, it is neat innovation and I like that.

    I saw on some website that the easy seat was baaaack! This time new and improved (of course).
    Mike

  8. #8
    Mr. Cellophane RainmanP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, et al.,
    Actually, I think these things are still available to some extent. Just in the last few months I saw them in Damark or a similar catalog. When I started commuting a year ago last November I bought something similar called a Spongy Wonder. At the time I was quite heavy and I found it much more comfortable than a standard saddle. Within 2-3 months I felt I no longer needed it and moved on to a Terry Liberator then to Brooks saddles. I have to tell you, though, that I credit that funny looking little seat for keeping me going in the beginning.
    Regards,
    Raymond
    If it ain't broke, mess with it anyway!

  9. #9
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RainmanP
    Mike, et al.,
    Actually, I think these things are still available to some extent. Just in the last few months I saw them in Damark or a similar catalog. When I started commuting a year ago last November I bought something similar called a Spongy Wonder. At the time I was quite heavy and I found it much more comfortable than a standard saddle. Within 2-3 months I felt I no longer needed it and moved on to a Terry Liberator then to Brooks saddles. I have to tell you, though, that I credit that funny looking little seat for keeping me going in the beginning.
    Regards,
    Raymond
    That is cool.
    Mike

  10. #10
    Life's Too Short urbanking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sudbury, Ontario
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That things looks funny! I bet it weighs 1000000 lbs too right?
    Live To Ride, Ride To Live!!

  11. #11
    Devilmaycare Cycling Fool Allister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Wynnum, Australia
    My Bikes
    1998 Cannondale F700
    Posts
    3,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the cybercylery hub was alive I spent a fun afternoon following all the links on the links page and saw some weird and wonderful saddle designs. I never came across the easy seat, but by far the most bizarre design was the moon saddle

    If we learn from our mistakes, I must be a goddamn genius.

  12. #12
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is delightfully bizarre, Allister.

    Some time ago, a friend of mine gave me a weird bicycle saddle that he found in his 150-year-old barn. It was a like a mini football goal post with a canvas belt hung between the posts. The rider apparently sat in this canvas swing and bicycled along. It must have been a thrill to ride to say the very least.

    HmmmÖ wonder why you donít see many of them anymore?

    If I have extra ambition some day, I will dig it out, put it on a bike, and post a pic
    Mike

  13. #13
    Kitten Purr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Metro NY
    My Bikes
    A no-name 10-speed tank, but man, that Xootr Swift in the window sure looks sweet...no, wait...someone just hung a "SOLD" sign on it...that's cuz I bought it!!!
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    That is delightfully bizarre, Allister.

    Some time ago, a friend of mine gave me a weird bicycle saddle that he found in his 150-year-old barn. It was a like a mini football goal post with a canvas belt hung between the posts. The rider apparently sat in this canvas swing and bicycled along. It must have been a thrill to ride to say the very least.
    OMG, I thought I had hallucinated that seat! That's right they really did exist!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    HmmmÖ wonder why you donít see many of them anymore?

    If I have extra ambition some day, I will dig it out, put it on a bike, and post a pic
    Please, if you have any info on who the manufacturer is, or what the name of the seat is, please let us know. Definitely Google-able stuff, there!

  14. #14
    holyrollin' FlatTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer(hot rod 3 sp.), noname cantilever frame 1 sp., Peugeot U-O8, Kia 10 sp., soon-to-be-custom Sears Free Spirit 3sp.(project), department store mountain bike 21 sp.
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan Henry Hammock. Go here for a look: http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bicycleseats.html

    Make your own from a set of old drop bars and a director's chair sling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •