Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need Some Help Identifying This Specialized Road Bike...

    A friend of mine is trying to sell this bike and I offered to help her, but I am kind of stumped as to how to best sell it. I figured Craig's List is the best way, but I don't know how to identify it.

    So, this is why the bike is being sold: many years ago she was in a car accident and her bike was completely totaled. Someone (I don't know who) convinced her that the best thing to do was to buy a bike and get back on the saddle. But the accident was really bad and she basically froze and decided to never ride again. The bike has been sitting there for the last 8 or 9 years.

    She gave it to me because we thought I might be able to ride it, but my LBS told me that I was better off just purchasing a new bike that was a "woman"'s bike, rather than trying to get this men's bike to work.

    All I know about it is that it's a Specialized Allez, size 52.

    I'm attaching a picture to see if that helps. I've seen other bikes that look similar to this one, but I wasn't sure if it's the same one or not -- can anyone help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member cyclist2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Up
    My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Posts
    2,779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybedouin View Post
    A friend of mine is trying to sell this bike and I offered to help her, but I am kind of stumped as to how to best sell it. I figured Craig's List is the best way, but I don't know how to identify it.

    So, this is why the bike is being sold: many years ago she was in a car accident and her bike was completely totaled. Someone (I don't know who) convinced her that the best thing to do was to buy a bike and get back on the saddle. But the accident was really bad and she basically froze and decided to never ride again. The bike has been sitting there for the last 8 or 9 years.

    She gave it to me because we thought I might be able to ride it, but my LBS told me that I was better off just purchasing a new bike that was a "woman"'s bike, rather than trying to get this men's bike to work.

    All I know about it is that it's a Specialized Allez, size 52.

    I'm attaching a picture to see if that helps. I've seen other bikes that look similar to this one, but I wasn't sure if it's the same one or not -- can anyone help?
    I think that this bike is about 20 years old that is because it has downtube shifters and looks to have a steel fork.
    See this bikepedia website.
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

  3. #3
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized Allez with RX100 components, lugged steel frame. That's about all you need in order to advertise it. Did you want a precise year? RX100 would be circa 1992, so "early '90s" ought to suffice.

    By the way, unless I'm very much mistaken, that stem is an accident waiting to happen. Lower it into the fork far enough to hide the MAX line.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    Specialized Allez with RX100 components, lugged steel frame. That's about all you need in order to advertise it. Did you want a precise year? RX100 would be circa 1992, so "early '90s" ought to suffice.

    By the way, unless I'm very much mistaken, that stem is an accident waiting to happen. Lower it into the fork far enough to hide the MAX line.
    Thank you both.

    I'll lower it, I think that's the after effect of having a tall woman trying to ride too small of a bike.

    How much should this go for? What would be a fair price?

    Thank you for all your help.

  5. #5
    The Mississippi Flash triggerracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Mantachie MS
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock MB
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gypsybedouin, where are you located

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Florida

  7. #7
    splendid splendidness
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Thrilladelphia
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybedouin View Post
    She gave it to me because we thought I might be able to ride it, but my LBS told me that I was better off just purchasing a new bike that was a "woman"'s bike, rather than trying to get this men's bike to work.
    Baloney. If the bike fits you, you should ride it.

  8. #8
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybedouin View Post
    She gave it to me because we thought I might be able to ride it, but my LBS told me that I was better off just purchasing a new bike that was a "woman"'s bike, rather than trying to get this men's bike to work.
    Someone has said it- If you can make this bike fit- it will be no different to a new Womans Specific Bike---At least for a while. WSD bikes do not fit every girl. Quite a few find that the Mens frames fit them better. And if you are coming back into cycling- then "ANY" bike will get you over the first few months of riding till you find out the size- type and fittings that you do want on a bike--I'd change the LBS if they are giving that sort of advice without seeing you ride the bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Someone has said it- If you can make this bike fit- it will be no different to a new Womans Specific Bike---At least for a while. WSD bikes do not fit every girl. Quite a few find that the Mens frames fit them better. And if you are coming back into cycling- then "ANY" bike will get you over the first few months of riding till you find out the size- type and fittings that you do want on a bike--I'd change the LBS if they are giving that sort of advice without seeing you ride the bike.
    To defend my LBS a little bit, they did set up the bike and I sat on it -- based on that, they told me it was better to get a woman's bike. I have thought about getting a second opinion and I can do that, but I wanted to sell it too, because it doesn't fit any of us (I would be the best one out of our group of friends).

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I did get a second opinion at another LBS and they told me it was too big for me. The bike is actually a 54/medium/unisex, but really, it's for men. I saw a woman's bike they would recommend and I totally understand the difference in the length of the bike.

    *sigh* Oh well, I tried.

    It's up for sale. I'll see if anyone is interested.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •