Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 183
  1. #1
    Senior Member Cyclomania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    American SPacifNorthWest. PDX
    My Bikes
    American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What you hate about other cyclists' rant.

    Tell me what eats you up regarding other cyclists, here's two of my faves:

    1. Cyclists who zoom past me without any verbal or nonverbal ("ding!") warning and usually within inches of my bike. I ask, would you like a car to do the same to you, stupid cyclist?!

    2. Cyclists who ride scary Blvds in town without wearing a helmet or bright colors. Hawthorne Blvd (SE Portland) is the area where I see this action the most. Please stop this, ride quiet streets, not war zones without protection or visibility!!!
    Last edited by Cyclomania; 08-29-11 at 02:31 AM.
    Sometimes when I'm out doing a shopping run, I'll be offered a free sample (cut of pizza, doughnut, cheezywiz thingy)...little do they know that behind every bite is my gasoline!

  2. #2
    Senior Member JimF22003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Posts
    2,458
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I hate both of those rants.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nermal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Farmington, NM
    My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way too many of them are way too much faster than I.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

  4. #4
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    yes, I hate both of those rants.
    me too
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  5. #5
    Fred-ish rogerstg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't think of any cyclists' rant that I like.

  6. #6
    Senior Member JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Munising, Michigan, USA
    My Bikes
    Hifi 29er, Stumpy 29er, Rockhopper 29er, ...
    Posts
    1,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclomania View Post
    Tell me what eats you up regarding other cyclists...
    Hmm....The one thing that comes to mind right now is the cyclist so focused upon his own riding style that other types of cyclist are "invisible", and their needs don't matter.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lack of coherency in their rants.

  8. #8
    Senior Member JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Munising, Michigan, USA
    My Bikes
    Hifi 29er, Stumpy 29er, Rockhopper 29er, ...
    Posts
    1,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
    A lack of coherency in their rants.
    If coherent, would it still be a rant?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding two abreast on roads with a narrow shoulder. It's just a ****ty way to act and angers all drivers against the rest of us.

    Mountain bikers on single trail who don't thank the other rider for moving off the trail. It's just common courtesy.

  10. #10
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtute View Post
    Riding two abreast on roads with a narrow shoulder. It's just a ****ty way to act and angers all drivers against the rest of us.
    If there isn't room for a motor vehicle to safely share the lane with one bike, requiring crossing the line to pass, what difference does two make?

    From some of these rants, I feel like I am in a car forum, not a bike forum.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  11. #11
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused. Do you hate those two things mentioned in the OP, or do you hate reading others' ranting about them?
    Craig in Indy

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek SU100, Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate rants that devolve into recommendations for some sort of violent vigilante justice.

  13. #13
    Old Face, New Name RobCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukie (Portland), Oregon
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 7500FX
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Ignorance begets confidence more frequently than does knowledge" -Charles Darwin

    "I don't remember askin' you a got-damned thing!"

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    If there isn't room for a motor vehicle to safely share the lane with one bike, requiring crossing the line to pass, what difference does two make?

    From some of these rants, I feel like I am in a car forum, not a bike forum.
    Where have you ever been that a car cannot safely pass at some point? I ride plenty of narrow canyons with no shoulder. There's always a place for the cars to pass using a few feet of the other lane. American roads are practically always at least 20' wide. An H1 - probably the widest passenger car is under 87", so even two H1's passing on a 20' road have over 5' of roadway to allocate to space between them and room for a biker. The narrowest most paving machines will go down to is 8' per pass, so that would be a 16' roadway. Still plenty of room for an H1 to pass with a little of the other lane, and plenty of room for two typical passenger cars to pass with a biker. Yes it would be tight, but the I'm not buying the claim that there's not room to pass. Not based in reality of any road I'd consider biking on.

    Even if you happen to find some obscure road that's 14 feet wide, the car is going to pass. It's just a question of how close you want to be to it.
    Last edited by jbtute; 08-29-11 at 09:09 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member shipwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtute View Post
    Where have you ever been that a car cannot safely pass at some point? I ride plenty of narrow canyons with no shoulder. There's always a place for the cars to pass using a few feet of the other lane. American roads are practically always at least 20' wide. An H1 - probably the widest passenger car is under 87", so even two H1's passing on a 20' road have over 5' of roadway to allocate to space between them and room for a biker. The narrowest most paving machines will go down to is 8' per pass, so that would be a 16' roadway. Still plenty of room for an H1 to pass with a little of the other lane, and plenty of room for two typical passenger cars to pass with a biker. Yes it would be tight, but the I'm not buying the claim that there's not room to pass. Not based in reality of any road I'd consider biking on.

    Even if you happen to find some obscure road that's 14 feet wide, the car is going to pass. It's just a question of how close you want to be to it.
    I have been on many roads where it is difficult to pass one rider, much less two. Have you ever left the flatlands? Most roads here in northwest AR and southwest MO are well under 20 feet. Factor in blind curves, rolling hills and both cattle trailers AND texting soccer moms and yes, there are places on my daily ride that I would not want to pass. And if you lived here, those roads would be about your only option for cycling.

  16. #16
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtute View Post
    Where have you ever been that a car cannot safely pass at some point? I ride plenty of narrow canyons with no shoulder. There's always a place for the cars to pass using a few feet of the other lane.
    duh, so obviously there was not room to share the lane safely.

    If there is not room to share the lane with one bike safely, requiring the driver to cross into the other lane, then obviously another cyclist in that lane isn't going to make any difference...the driver still has to move into the other lane. This is one reason why many state laws specifically allow bikes to ride two-abreast.

    I assume you are one of those drivers who thinks if they are only a few feet in the other lane, oncoming traffic is supposed to get out of the way for you? News flash - you're doing it wrong...and illegally.
    Last edited by chipcom; 08-29-11 at 09:25 AM.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    I have been on many roads where it is difficult to pass one rider, much less two. Have you ever left the flatlands? Most roads here in northwest AR and southwest MO are well under 20 feet. Factor in blind curves, rolling hills and both cattle trailers AND texting soccer moms and yes, there are places on my daily ride that I would not want to pass. And if you lived here, those roads would be about your only option for cycling.
    Did you say MO and AR are not flatland? I guess it's all relative. Grew up in Montana, now live in Utah. I road the Wasatch Crest trail twice this weekend. Climbs up to 9,900ft and back down to about 4,000. I live at the base of the canyon and part of the way down is on the canyon road. It's windy, no shoulder, still plenty of room to pass safely. Not everywhere, but there are lots of opportunities to pass, and cars pass me all the time.

    Trying to somehow block them by riding side by side is stupid, asking to get hurt, AND makes life difficult for the rest of us.

  18. #18
    Senior Member triumph.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    N Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    12 colnago clx3.0, 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record
    Posts
    1,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsthewoo View Post
    I hate rants that devolve into recommendations for some sort of violent vigilante justice.
    Vigilante justice rocks!

  19. #19
    Senior Member shipwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtute View Post
    Did you say MO and AR are not flatland? I guess it's all relative. Grew up in Montana, now live in Utah. I road the Wasatch Crest trail twice this weekend. Climbs up to 9,900ft and back down to about 4,000. I live at the base of the canyon and part of the way down is on the canyon road. It's windy, no shoulder, still plenty of room to pass safely. Not everywhere, but there are lots of opportunities to pass, and cars pass me all the time.

    Trying to somehow block them by riding side by side is stupid, asking to get hurt, AND makes life difficult for the rest of us.
    Its funny, when I leave the ozarks to ride in Nebraska or Kansas, it takes a day or so to get used to not coasting every five minutes. All the little rollers do add up, but there are no good long climbs other than Mount Magazine, or Petit Jean(and before you make fun, they are little things, but we love them). there are several roads that are double yellow for over five miles at a stretch, long enough for most people to get pretty enraged. The shear number of little blind hills are what keeps some drivers from passing, though most still do regardless of safety. Sorry for the Flatlands remark, I thought I read Ohio on your info. I was in Bowling Green for a few days and got numb riding over the same overpass again and again...
    Last edited by shipwreck; 08-29-11 at 10:05 AM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member shipwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably get the most irritated<amused about someone griping that thier inner city commute is not handy enough. The busses front racks are to hard, the bike lane is to dangerous, the drivers want to kill them. The first time I took a bike to Chicago I rode from Shaumberg to downtown and back for five days in a row. I was ready for some sort of mad max thing, were everyone was actively trying to kill me. It was shocking that for the first time in my riding life drivers mostly made eye contact, yielded, very seldom right hooked me, nothing very much was thrown at me, and most gratifying, the one person who did yell abuse was easy to understand, because they had the courtesy to slow down a bit. There were no big farm dogs, and the canadian geese that attacked me were so fun I actualy turned around and went back for another pass. On following trips to other citys I have learned that when a driver in an urban enviroment almost kills you, at least they were probably trying. That personal attention can't be beat.

  21. #21
    Recently Addicted cleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    My Bikes
    M1 w/105
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good question.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    If coherent, would it still be a rant?
    2011 Gunnar Sport, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 8, 1998 Cannondale F500

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing helmets and bright colors should be mandatory!

    The life saved by these practices may be more than that of your own...

    I just hate it when I'm passed closely by another cyclist, but not warned...

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Its funny, when I leave the ozarks to ride in Nebraska or Kansas, it takes a day or so to get used to not coasting every five minutes. All the little rollers do add up, but there are no good long climbs other than Mount Magazine, or Petit Jean(and before you make fun, they are little things, but we love them). there are several roads that are double yellow for over five miles at a stretch, long enough for most people to get pretty enraged. The shear number of little blind hills are what keeps some drivers from passing, though most still do regardless of safety. Sorry for the Flatlands remark, I thought I read Ohio on your info. I was in Bowling Green for a few days and got numb riding over the same overpass again and again...
    No worries. Most of my extended family live in Iowa. I think my commute has more total elevation change than you can find in all of Iowa.

    I'm thinking driving is just different around here? On an average trip up the canyons around here you'd probably pass 20 or more bikers depending on the day. No one waits for passing lanes. Traffic is about 35mph and you just slip over enough to go bye and and the drivers going the other way make enough room for you. Much like passing a tractors on rural roads. It's dangerous when people try to double up because it then squeezes the other shoulder and riders on the other side, and it annoys the drivers. If we want more bike lanes, it really helps to have the general public like cyclists.

    Also Salt Lake City has the second highest Auto-Pedestrian death rate per capita in the nation. I don't recall who was first. Something like 29% of auto related fatalities are pedestrians. If you ride in the road thinking you're going to slow down traffic and make it safer, there's a good chance you'll end up as a speed bump.

  24. #24
    Senior Member shipwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driving probably is very different. I have never really seen more than two other cyclists on a ride. So that means that drivers don't either. They really don't know how to deal with one. So terrain is a factor, but driver familiarity probably more so.
    See, this is why I should not do forums, they can give you new ways to think about things.

    I doubt that bike lanes will ever be the norm here, they are mostly installing rumble strips everywhere.

  25. #25
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,043
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rants blow! It gets worse when it is on the BF, then turns into A&S.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •