Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Cyclist storckm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    My Bikes
    Yuba Mundo; Early 70's Free Spirit (Reynolds 531) fixie; 80's Shogun 500; Mid 90's Iron Horse tandem; trailer and tag-a-long; Schwinn Range for commuting, with lights and front and rear racks.
    Posts
    533
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Something unusual happened yesterday: A good reason not to shop at Kroger.

    On my way home yesterday, I stopped to buy some fruit and stuff, and after I had everything loaded and secured, I went to unlock the padlock, and my key sheared in half.

    First, I put my milk back so it wouldn't get too warm while I figured out what to do. I could have walked home and come back with a hacksaw, but it's at least a half an hour walk, and I was already late coming home. So I asked the manager if they had a hacksaw or bolt cutters--it's a small store and they know me--but of course they didn't. They did bring out a tool box, though, and I found a pry bar and hammer, and decided to give them a try. No luck, especially as I didn't want to damage my bike or the wooden pillar the chain went around.

    But I remember having read that you can pick a padlock using a thin piece of metal cut out of a soda can. (I even tried it on one of my locks once, to see how it worked, but hadn't been able to manage it.) So I asked them for an empty soda can, and then went back to the toolbox to get the aviation snips.

    But while digging through, I came across a cold chisel, and I figured that would be easier than trying to pick the lock. So I sit outside the store for awhile, with people walking in and out past me, hammering away at the chisel, until I cut through a link in the chain. Then run in quick to grab the milk, put away the tools, say thanks, and end up home only fifteen minutes later than I would have been.

  2. #2
    Fat Guy Rolling dcrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not really a good reason to not shop at Kroger. You already said they loaned you the tools because they know you. As far as the passer-bys, that would happen at any store. At *best* someone might ask what's going on, but that's not common.

    If you had a slim jim unlocking a car, nobody would think much about that either. I've had to do that after locking my keys in my car. Another time, I had to bust out a rear-side window (old crappy car years ago) and nobody seemed to notice.

    Kroger has nothing to do with it.
    Car-Free IT Geek
    My blog: fatguy.org

    Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, 1980s Raleigh Record single-speed conversion, Bacchetta Agio

  3. #3
    Juicy, Sweet Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Out of the Patch, In your Face
    My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,321
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've got no love for Kroger but why drag them into it? This is why I use 4 digit combination Master locks on my utility bike. Don't matter what you have if someone want's your bike bad enough they're gonna get it, given the time.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Schwinn Voyageur, 1974 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    our Kroger is the only grocery store in town with a bike rack.

  5. #5
    Buddy Ratzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that chipping away at a bike lock in daylight, out in the open, is terribly suspicious behaviour. Thieves don't act like this. But a couple times I've helped people in jams break their stuck locks.
    It matters how you look too. I've talked to people who steal bikes. They look like they have problems and need quick cash. It's a way of life. they don't do it out in the open.
    Having said that, we can't generalize, and some respectable guy in a suit could probably go around with an angle grinder stealing bikes all day.

  6. #6
    Bill
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    HIGHLANDS RANCH, CO
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iI agree! it's all Kroger's fault. Obvious by your account. I bet if you were at Safeway your key wouldn't have sheared in half. They're much safer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it. - Will Rogers

  7. #7
    Senior Member mulveyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In the wilds of NY
    My Bikes
    Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
    Posts
    1,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by storckm View Post
    On my way home yesterday, I stopped to buy some fruit and stuff, and after I had everything loaded and secured, I went to unlock the padlock, and my key sheared in half.

    First, I put my milk back so it wouldn't get too warm while I figured out what to do. I could have walked home and come back with a hacksaw, but it's at least a half an hour walk, and I was already late coming home. So I asked the manager if they had a hacksaw or bolt cutters--it's a small store and they know me--but of course they didn't. They did bring out a tool box, though, and I found a pry bar and hammer, and decided to give them a try. No luck, especially as I didn't want to damage my bike or the wooden pillar the chain went around.

    But I remember having read that you can pick a padlock using a thin piece of metal cut out of a soda can. (I even tried it on one of my locks once, to see how it worked, but hadn't been able to manage it.) So I asked them for an empty soda can, and then went back to the toolbox to get the aviation snips.

    But while digging through, I came across a cold chisel, and I figured that would be easier than trying to pick the lock. So I sit outside the store for awhile, with people walking in and out past me, hammering away at the chisel, until I cut through a link in the chain. Then run in quick to grab the milk, put away the tools, say thanks, and end up home only fifteen minutes later than I would have been.
    Sooo.... the store went beyond the call of duty by loaning you tools, letting you re-store your food... and they're the bad guys? What?
    Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The soda can trick only works on combination locks,,not padlocks. And i agree,Kroger was wrong for helping you,,,the nerve of them. Can someone tell me how Kroger was at fault ??????

  9. #9
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,033
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's not their fault you buy locks with cheap arse keys! More like a reason not to shop at the cheap arse place where you bought the cheap arse lock with the cheap arse key!

  10. #10
    Kittery Maine / NC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I missed something?
    1987 Schwinn Circuit
    1995 Scott Mohaka
    2008 Specialized Globe " old farts bike"

    Too Much Of Everything Is Just Enough
    Jerry Garcia

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
    That's not really a good reason to not shop at Kroger. You already said they loaned you the tools because they know you. As far as the passer-bys, that would happen at any store. At *best* someone might ask what's going on, but that's not common.

    If you had a slim jim unlocking a car, nobody would think much about that either. I've had to do that after locking my keys in my car. Another time, I had to bust out a rear-side window (old crappy car years ago) and nobody seemed to notice.

    Kroger has nothing to do with it.


    Storckm might be superstitious. He might think that Kroger's has some kinda bad or evil vibration that's in sync with his spiritual presence or something.

    He might even go to tea readings?

    Nah..........

    He's probably just a scientologist!

  12. #12
    Fat Guy Rolling dcrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    He's probably just a scientologist!
    He's just stuck in Ohio. That must be it. (Sorry to any other Ohio folks)
    Car-Free IT Geek
    My blog: fatguy.org

    Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, 1980s Raleigh Record single-speed conversion, Bacchetta Agio

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    My Bikes
    Iro Rob Roy, Colnago Competition, LHT, Kona Sutra flat bar, Torelli cyclocross, Vanco Cyclocross Fixed Gear Conversion
    Posts
    9,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As they loaned you some tools and were helpful it sounds like a good reason to shop there......

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
    He's just stuck in Ohio. That must be it. (Sorry to any other Ohio folks)
    I wonder what Storckm would being saying about Kroger's, if they had told him that he'd better get that piece of metal off their property by closing time or they'd have it recycled?

    Then Kroger's of course, would be the only good place to shop! ...Right?

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me thinks he typed "not" in the title by accident.

  16. #16
    Cyclist storckm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    My Bikes
    Yuba Mundo; Early 70's Free Spirit (Reynolds 531) fixie; 80's Shogun 500; Mid 90's Iron Horse tandem; trailer and tag-a-long; Schwinn Range for commuting, with lights and front and rear racks.
    Posts
    533
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the Kroger sub-title was a joke. But the reason it was not completely random is that I wasn't shopping at Kroger, where the chances of one of the myriad clerks recognizing me would have been small, but at a much smaller store. Somebody gave me the lock--it could easily have been thirty or forty years old.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Nermal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Farmington, NM
    My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    1,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure hope you're right, buster. He is otherwise destined to be an unhappy shopper at lots of places.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

  18. #18
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The folks at our local Kroger are friendly and helpful.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by storckm View Post
    Actually, the Kroger sub-title was a joke. But the reason it was not completely random is that I wasn't shopping at Kroger, where the chances of one of the myriad clerks recognizing me would have been small, but at a much smaller store. Somebody gave me the lock--it could easily have been thirty or forty years old.
    Hey there Storckm!

    Stop leaving critical info out!

    We were starting to get the wrong impression of you, buddy!

  20. #20
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,553
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reason for not shopping at Kroger is that we don't have any here.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  21. #21
    Recently Addicted cleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    My Bikes
    M1 w/105
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's why I only shop at Safeway....I've never had a key break in their lot, and don't want to risk it elsewhere!
    2011 Gunnar Sport, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 8, 1998 Cannondale F500

  22. #22
    6 miles per taco, w00t! HappyStuffing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Kroger did you a favor?

  23. #23
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    15,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are whining about Kroger? We don't have them anymore...they pulled out along with several other major chains. All we have is Hell Mart and Food Kitty.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  24. #24
    Dirt Bomb sknhgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Krogers. They have the best produce of all the stores around here.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

  25. #25
    Recently Addicted cleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    My Bikes
    M1 w/105
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I checked out their produce vs the Safeway next door.

    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I like Krogers. They have the best produce of all the stores around here.
    2011 Gunnar Sport, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 8, 1998 Cannondale F500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •