Hi, I'm hoping for some advice here: I'd broken my 2006 Volpe at the chainstay recently and Bianchi just sent a replacement 2009 model frame+fork. Since sending in the broken frame, I've been considering swapping frames (for a Salsa Casseroll) but first I'd need to sell the replacement frame.
Others in this forum have recommended just staying with the Volpe platform since I know I like it, its just that I may like to change things up at this juncture. So this is kinda undecided, especially as I've not built the bike back up...yet (its been hard to not have a bike to ride for 5 weeks now).
Searching around, I've not yet tracked down a frame+fork price range. I've guessed it to be @ $600+ since in 2009 the complete bike sold for $1100.
So how does placing it on e-bay for "$650 or OBO" sound? And if I do need to build it & ride it in the near future, how much should I drop the price (assuming I don't scratch it up or otherwise damage the frame)?
Last edited by meaculpa; 09-09-11 at 03:24 PM.
If you look at bikeman.com, you'll see a lot of prices for various frames. I'm not sure I'd go over the price of Surly frames for example. I mean why would someone pay way more than $400 for a frame if they can just buy another frame for a better price? I could be wrong though.
To be safe though, if you have the money you could wait until you have the frame you want and the bicycle complete before selling the other frame. So, if it doesn't work out, you can then swap frames.
I agree with hybridkrdr, you'll be lucky to get $400 for it. Ebay works best if you let people bid on the frame, then some people tend to get competitive and bid the price up. If I were you, I'd list it on Ebay at $250 and a $50 shipping fee. You could set the reserve price at $400, that way if nobody bids it higher than that, you don't have to take a loss.
Thanks hybrid & Thor, glad I asked. The $600 was a craigslist price, expecting potential buyers to bid me down from there. But the Ebay strategy sounds better, never sold there before so this is very helpful. I would just be afraid of letting the frame go for $300 since decent new frames are usually $400 & up.
Also, I've decided to rebuild the replacement frame since I don't know when I'll have the few extra $$ for the Casseroll &, frankly, I need to have both the frames for a side by side comparison. The fact that the "new-ish" frame will have, say, 500 miles on it (with no scratches,etc) shouldn't affect the $400 reserve/$250+50 starting bid, or am I off on that one?