Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any tips on finding a cheap titanium frame

    I really like the idea of anodizing my own designs onto a titanium frame, but I would really like not to destroy a frame I care about perfecting this particular skill. Any clever ideas on where I could find an old titanium frame to practice on? I want to try my hand at stripping and brushing/polishing too, which is why I need an actual frame with some decals on rather than just some scrap titanium pieces. I'd rather not spend a fortune on this (I think around $100 would be my limit), but since it could be crashed and busted to heck for all I care I'm hoping that would bring the price down.

    I'm looking in the usual places (ebay and Craigslist), but since "buy my old and busted ti frame - its a real POS and could kill you if ridden" doesn't seem to be a common selling tactic, the options are limited (I may get lucky, but I may not).

    Anyone have any cool ideas on where to find an old frame? I know very few people who bike locally unfortunately, so I'm hard pressed to find anything in the immediate area. If anyone reading this happens to have crashed their Litespeed into a tree then feel free to pm me - if its in the Phildelphia area I'll even give you a free ride to the hospital.

    Dave

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave!

    Here's one! Don't bust it up, though!!!

    Bikesdirect.com

    Motobecane's (Frameset)

    LeChamp Team Ti @ $999.00

    - Slim

  3. #3
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,958
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk to local bike clubs. It's likely they'll know someone who had a crashed/busted titanium frame sitting in their basement.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  4. #4
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,571
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever do crash my old Litespeed, I'll let you know.

    Perhaps you've seen it already, but in case you haven't, Firefly Bicycles has been doing some very interesting anno work on their Ti bikes, along with the usual decals and masked/blasted designs. Firefly Gallery
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    If I ever do crash my old Litespeed, I'll let you know.
    When you come in here complaining about crashing your bike next week, that guy shining a laser pointer into your eyes while rubbing goose fat onto the tarmac at the bottom of the hill totally wasn't me.

    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Perhaps you've seen it already, but in case you haven't, Firefly Bicycles has been doing some very interesting anno work on their Ti bikes, along with the usual decals and masked/blasted designs. Firefly Gallery
    That is definitely the cleanest anodized lettering I have ever seen. That would be some sexy work (and I even like the color they chose).

    Dave

  6. #6
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,571
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deademeat View Post
    When you come in here complaining about crashing your bike next week, that guy shining a laser pointer into your eyes while rubbing goose fat onto the tarmac at the bottom of the hill totally wasn't me.
    Note to self: Take the flat route to work next week.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deademeat View Post
    I really like the idea of anodizing my own designs onto a titanium frame, but I would really like not to destroy a frame I care about perfecting this particular skill. Any clever ideas on where I could find an old titanium frame to practice on? I want to try my hand at stripping and brushing/polishing too, which is why I need an actual frame with some decals on rather than just some scrap titanium pieces. I'd rather not spend a fortune on this (I think around $100 would be my limit), but since it could be crashed and busted to heck for all I care I'm hoping that would bring the price down. ....
    I sympathize fully with your desire to make stuff--but with anything made from Titanium, there is no cheap way.
    It costs ~12-14X as much as steel or aluminum does and it is just as recyclable as aluminum, if a person knows where to take it. Any custom frame makers aren't likely to part with any totaled frames, or scraps either.

    Contacting riding clubs and offering to buy any trashed frames or forks is probably your best bet.

    Or you could reconsider just using scrap pieces--but they will not be cheap either. And you will need to find someplace local to get them, as the mail-order places all charge well for cutting & shipping. Look in your local phone book for "metals suppliers".

    A while back I bought a [scrap] piece .750" diameter x .029" wall thickness, and about 3.5 feet long. The local metals place I go to charged me $65 for it. A "new" piece would have been ~$100.



    A third option might be testing anodizing on titanium foil. You could tape it (or somehow stick it?) around an aluminum tube to hold it in a curved surface shape. This would give you the most play-area for the money.

    (...I dunno much about Ti really--just it's expen$$$ive, it's d4mn difficult to machine and it must be plasma-cut and tig welded...)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •