Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-04, 11:03 PM   #1
cyclezealot
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
"Bicycling Mag. "Critics. What do you think of Current Sex Issue."

Agree with it.? .Sex treat us better than the couch potatoed, general public...Jan. Issue , but on our door step for Christmas.. Did "Bicycling Magazine" come up with a winning issue for your Christmas related bike activities or is it just sensational...? Is the topic a top motivator in your cycling addiction..
Could be a poll... Does your riding schedule preclude a night in the sack or the other way around.?
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 11:06 PM   #2
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Just when Bicycling Mag comes up with such a wonderful article on Pantani and makes you think there's hope, they sink to even bigger and "stupider" lows, for lack of a better word.

So obvious some editor needs some serious tail...

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 11:43 PM   #3
PriO
dotdotdot
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Cannondale R600
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i agree, this months issue was terrible
PriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 12:15 AM   #4
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am lost. Anyone want to give a synopsis. I tend not to ever read mags besides Decline and MBUK anymore.

Although, I hadn't realized there was a sex issue.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 02:25 AM   #5
cyclezealot
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Wondering if the different genders will react differently? I can think of different cycling friends..One guy thinks of organized tours as primarily a chance to meet cycling partners of the opposite sex...I am told one ride resulted him with a g/f-riding partner that lasted for several years..
The Sex issue..The whole Magazine is pretty much related to cycling and sex...Difficult to summarize the whole issue..
Articles are 1-Rules of Attraction..What kind of rider of the opposite sex might desire. 2- How cycling can enhance body attractiveness 3- How a healthy life style effects performance..3- A study of cycling/sexual workouts..- eg. calories burned,etc.4- Case studies in how cycling built 'beautiful bodies.'5- Cycling and Impotence 6- How loving and cycling complement each other.7- Aggressive cyclists of opposite sex hanging on each others wheels.
That is the issue.
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 05:33 AM   #6
MsMittens
Virtulized geek
 
MsMittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC, NY
Bikes: Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't gotten mine yet but I know that one section on it will be great: What kind of bike should I get? *teehee*.
MsMittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 05:56 AM   #7
hoodlum
Industrial Strength BS
 
hoodlum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, QR Kilo
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems as though they filled up 50 pages with some basic ideas that any 13 year old could have offered up.
1. People like sex.
2. Fit people are more attractive than fat people.
3. The odds are better for a single woman to meet a guy cycling than vice versa.

That's pretty much all I got out of it. Anybody else have a diffrent take?
hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 07:30 AM   #8
cyclezealot
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Poll was interesting..Forum members have ocassionally remarked..Sorry , not tonight honey- gotta ride tomorrow.
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 08:00 AM   #9
Moonshot
Now with racer-boy font!
 
Moonshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: East Alabama
Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
It seems as though they filled up 50 pages with some basic ideas that any 13 year old could have offered up.
1. People like sex.
2. Fit people are more attractive than fat people.
3. The odds are better for a single woman to meet a guy cycling than vice versa.

That's pretty much all I got out of it. Anybody else have a diffrent take?
Yeah, that's about all I got out of it too.
__________________

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 08:27 AM   #10
NW NJ Biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sussex County NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Wondering if the different genders will react differently? I can think of different cycling friends..One guy thinks of organized tours as primarily a chance to meet cycling partners of the opposite sex...I am told one ride resulted him with a g/f-riding partner that lasted for several years..
The Sex issue..The whole Magazine is pretty much related to cycling and sex...Difficult to summarize the whole issue..
Articles are 1-Rules of Attraction..What kind of rider of the opposite sex might desire. 2- How cycling can enhance body attractiveness 3- How a healthy life style effects performance..3- A study of cycling/sexual workouts..- eg. calories burned,etc.4- Case studies in how cycling built 'beautiful bodies.'5- Cycling and Impotence 6- How loving and cycling complement each other.7- Aggressive cyclists of opposite sex hanging on each others wheels.
That is the issue.
Your summary sounds like there is something of value in this issue. There is nothing worth reading.

It amazes me that there is plenty of useful cycling stuff to write about and the best they can come up with is this crap.
NW NJ Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 09:03 AM   #11
hubs
@#$% cars
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Bikes: '02 Schwinn Frontier;'03 Fisher Tiburon; '04 Raleigh Companion; 04 Dahon SpeedPro; 69 Raleigh Sport fixed
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, it was stupid. First, I don't want the sex allure coming in the family mailbox. Second, the content was idiotic anyway.

So disappointing when then last issue ... Pantini and everything ... was so good.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 10:04 AM   #12
seely
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was actually elated to get it... I have to write a 5 page paper on the benefits of cycling vs. other forms of training and they give a lot of good specific data.... they try to tie it in with sex to sell more issues obviously, but if you read the articles its pretty general data that can be applied to just about any kind of physical activity. There is a lot of crap in there too but I'm just happy to have another source for my paper.
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 10:07 AM   #13
Melo
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Probably my last year of subscribing. I think the Maz. has turned into a rag
Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 10:07 AM   #14
vanderzyden
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The latest issue is absurd, a waste.

Hello everyone. This is my first significant post, and I expect to be much more positive in future contributions. But I found this thread and, as you'll see below, I take an especially strong interest.

Below is my letter to the editor of Bicycling magazine, published by Rodale (who also publishes Backpacker, etc). When calling to cancel my subscription, the Rodale rep. told me that they were getting quite a backlash. It seems that many have had their fill of our increasingly pornographic culture. As a middle-aged man who has considered the issue from several perspectives, I can say with the greatest confidence that we don't need yet another enticement to indulge in extramarital sexuality.

John

"What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" -- the apostle Paul

------------------------------------
Bicycling:

"Absolutely ridiculous and outrageous.

"That is the only description worthy to ascribe to the most recent issue of Bicycling. I ask you, are you trying to play the prostitute in the world of cycling journalism? SEX, not BIKE, shouts to us from the front cover. And yet, there is nothing but cobwebs and dead men's bones on the inside. It's not just the provocative pictures; in fact, that is not the primary concern here. Rather, virtually every bit of propoganda and text in this latest issue is nothing but slime. However, consider the picture for a moment: most employers would not permit such images on display in the workplace, out of concern for sexual harassment!

"It would seem, also, that there is very little evidence, if any, to support the silly claims in your articles. You are merely regurgitating the vomit that is to be found in the likes of Cosmopolitan, The Enquirer, or Playboy. Knowing that you were distributing such material, it amazes me that you didn't you wrap the magazine in dark plastic to prevent the eyes of children from falling upon the smut on its pages! Consider well that you've failed miserably in your responsibility. You should be discussing pure cycling. Instead, you gossip like an adolescent in a school locker room. Moreover, you perpetuate the myth that better sex--in and of itself--leads to better life. Sex isn't the problem: your presentation of it is a full contribution to a very serious crisis. Unknowingly or not, you are spreading vile lies. Enough!

"Subscribers to your magazine seek information on bicycles, components, cycling lifestyle, nutrition, and exercise. In an obscene gesture of betrayal, you waste the content of an entire issue on rubbish. With such a full load of highly controversial content, it's clear that you can't resist the urge to sell out to the "sex craze" that is overtaking popular culture--and eroding the social fabric--in North America. It is utterly despicable that you are seen now to grovel before the gods of greed and sensuality in the middle of a cycling forum.

"I will be calling to cancel my subscription immediately. In particular, I will ask for a refund of my subscription dues, making claim against your 100% satisfaction guarantee. Furthermore, I'm sending a copy of this letter to a number of bicycle and component manufacturers."
vanderzyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 10:14 AM   #15
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read the issue but my first reaction is, "can't we leave sex out of cycling, please." I mean seriously, everywhere you look in this culture sex is being used to promote or prostitute something. I am just as big a Perv as the next guy but holy crap, the last thing i think about when riding a bike is sex, espescially when wearing spandex.

It could be 7th grade gym class all over again!!!!
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:18 AM   #16
ctyler
Badger Biker
 
ctyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin
Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Wondering if the different genders will react differently? I can think of different cycling friends..One guy thinks of organized tours as primarily a chance to meet cycling partners of the opposite sex...I am told one ride resulted him with a g/f-riding partner that lasted for several years..
The Sex issue..The whole Magazine is pretty much related to cycling and sex...Difficult to summarize the whole issue..
Articles are 1-Rules of Attraction..What kind of rider of the opposite sex might desire. 2- How cycling can enhance body attractiveness 3- How a healthy life style effects performance..3- A study of cycling/sexual workouts..- eg. calories burned,etc.4- Case studies in how cycling built 'beautiful bodies.'5- Cycling and Impotence 6- How loving and cycling complement each other.7- Aggressive cyclists of opposite sex hanging on each others wheels.
That is the issue.
What, no Viagra and Cycling article?
ctyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:19 AM   #17
ctyler
Badger Biker
 
ctyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin
Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderzyden
The latest issue is absurd, a waste.

Hello everyone. This is my first significant post, and I expect to be much more positive in future contributions. But I found this thread and, as you'll see below, I take an especially strong interest.

Below is my letter to the editor of Bicycling magazine, published by Rodale (who also publishes Backpacker, etc). When calling to cancel my subscription, the Rodale rep. told me that they were getting quite a backlash. It seems that many have had their fill of our increasingly pornographic culture. As a middle-aged man who has considered the issue from several perspectives, I can say with the greatest confidence that we don't need yet another enticement to indulge in extramarital sexuality.

John

"What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" -- the apostle Paul

------------------------------------
Bicycling:

"Absolutely ridiculous and outrageous.

"That is the only description worthy to ascribe to the most recent issue of Bicycling. I ask you, are you trying to play the prostitute in the world of cycling journalism? SEX, not BIKE, shouts to us from the front cover. And yet, there is nothing but cobwebs and dead men's bones on the inside. It's not just the provocative pictures; in fact, that is not the primary concern here. Rather, virtually every bit of propoganda and text in this latest issue is nothing but slime. However, consider the picture for a moment: most employers would not permit such images on display in the workplace, out of concern for sexual harassment!

"It would seem, also, that there is very little evidence, if any, to support the silly claims in your articles. You are merely regurgitating the vomit that is to be found in the likes of Cosmopolitan, The Enquirer, or Playboy. Knowing that you were distributing such material, it amazes me that you didn't you wrap the magazine in dark plastic to prevent the eyes of children from falling upon the smut on its pages! Consider well that you've failed miserably in your responsibility. You should be discussing pure cycling. Instead, you gossip like an adolescent in a school locker room. Moreover, you perpetuate the myth that better sex--in and of itself--leads to better life. Sex isn't the problem: your presentation of it is a full contribution to a very serious crisis. Unknowingly or not, you are spreading vile lies. Enough!

"Subscribers to your magazine seek information on bicycles, components, cycling lifestyle, nutrition, and exercise. In an obscene gesture of betrayal, you waste the content of an entire issue on rubbish. With such a full load of highly controversial content, it's clear that you can't resist the urge to sell out to the "sex craze" that is overtaking popular culture--and eroding the social fabric--in North America. It is utterly despicable that you are seen now to grovel before the gods of greed and sensuality in the middle of a cycling forum.

"I will be calling to cancel my subscription immediately. In particular, I will ask for a refund of my subscription dues, making claim against your 100% satisfaction guarantee. Furthermore, I'm sending a copy of this letter to a number of bicycle and component manufacturers."

Good for you. I got tired of that magazine a long time ago for many reasons.
ctyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:54 AM   #18
rule
Senior Member
 
rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wylie, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lame as lame gets. I want my money back. I wasn't offended by any of it; it was just not anything that I am interested in as it relates to what I am looking for from this type of magazine. A cycling and investing issue would strike me the same way.

The "Lovestrong" sex cushion ad in the back was the most ridiculous part of the issue. The fact that Bicycling even sought out and accepted such an ad for this targeted issue is sadly telling.
rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 12:31 PM   #19
Phatman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That chick in the bathtub was pretty hot.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 12:45 PM   #20
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator
 
KrisPistofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: POS Tennessee
Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
Posts: 7,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does it show any skin?
KrisPistofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 12:56 PM   #21
SanDiegoSteve
Senior Member
 
SanDiegoSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Felt Fc, Litespeed Ghisallo, beach cruiser
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm dissapointed. I'd be a lot happier with more coverage of cool gizmoes and reviewes this close to the holidays. Or just true bike porn.

Did anyone else notice the poll was like 90+% male?

Thought, the heart rate bit was kind of funny.
SanDiegoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 01:38 PM   #22
flythebike
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?
 
flythebike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Tubes
Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seely
if you read the articles
...

Are you still talking about Bicycling magazine?
flythebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 01:46 PM   #23
Dang
Senior Member
 
Dang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Highlands, Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seems that all bicycle mags are writtin by kids for rich kids. Dudes.
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 03:33 PM   #24
chigrl71
Beth
 
chigrl71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago Area
Bikes: Motobecane Gigi, Gary Fisher Marlin, Old Raleigh Road Bike
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I called and made a complaint to the company. It's the only way they will know people are unhappy about the "direction" they are going.
chigrl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 03:53 PM   #25
cyclezealot
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
As I said, ONe rider comes to mind who lets it be known, he goes on organized tours because he does not meet enough female cyclitst in other cycling events..I am told he struck it big with a five year old fling as a result of a ride in Colorado..
Recall a foreign film being made of sex and heart rate monitors...Dude, kept records of his best ever by recording their stats...It was funny as hell. Probably out 15 years ago..Laughed like crazy....Was not porn, either....Italian I think.
Mixed feelings about this issue...But, I do not get all morally outraged and gonna cancel "Bicycling Magazine" over this issue.
TV is far worse...Blame culture, not Bicycling if offeneded...
Popular TV shows is what promted the magazine to take this course...What.."
Sex and the City, Desperate Women...Married with Children..Sex and violence sells and we are the buyers who keep such programing popular..
My friend who goes to Bike tours to Meet women cyclists..Betcha he liked it...
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 PM.