Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-11, 03:04 AM   #26
Nermal
Senior Member
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Farmington, NM
Bikes: Giant Cypress SX
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We all have a few truely reprehensible instincts.
__________________
Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Nermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 05:17 AM   #27
horus11B
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dunno... i shot the last guy who tried to steal my car. Granted I was still in it at the time.

If it was my livelihood, ive got babies... **** that guy.
horus11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 10:45 AM   #28
Flying Merkel
Senior Member
 
Flying Merkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Yes, Flying Merkel!

However, in this society, if we're to evolve, we must take a higher road and not resort to the lowest form of human interaction____ and that's violence!



- Slim
Very noble. In the neighborhood I live in, taking the higher road will get you labeled a chump. You will be the perpetual target. Sometimes, you have to show your evil side.
Flying Merkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 12:42 PM   #29
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
...You're not dated... You're reminded!..

- Slim
Hey pal, are you talking to me? (bro?)
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 01:04 PM   #30
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
Violence breeds violence. People with tough guy syndrome are often as bad as criminals and often meet a "humbling" experience. Get tough with a bike thief and you might find they can be every bit as organized as any gang. That video could just have easily been one vigilante cyclist victim who decided to rough up the thief and then got jumped by the thief's lookout partners. Unless threatened with immediate bodily harm it is beyond stupid to take a simple problem/crime to physical altercation these days.
we're not talking about starting a bar fight because someone looked at you wrong, we're talking about catching a thief trying to take your property. there's a difference between having "tough guy syndrome" and having a pair of balls between your legs. the "problem" these days is said best by george carlin, "the pussification of the american male".
jimnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 01:08 PM   #31
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
However, in this society, if we're to evolve, we must take a higher road and not resort to the lowest form of human interaction____ and that's violence!

- Slim
"we" as a society are evolving into wusses. i'm not saying violence is the only answer, but it's definitely tool that needs to be used every now and again.
jimnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 01:28 PM   #32
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
Hey pal, are you talking to me? (bro?)

Yeah Bro, I'm talkin' to ya!

Sup!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 01:30 PM   #33
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
"we" as a society are evolving into wusses. i'm not saying violence is the only answer, but it's definitely tool that needs to be used every now and again.
I'm still waiting upon the day when our spears will become prunning hooks and our shields will become plowshares...

Of course, that's if we don't all get nuked, first!

Folks! There's just got to be another way!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 02:25 PM   #34
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The consensus when this video popped up 2 years ago was that it was either staged, or everyone involved was too inept for belief. The 'thief' wasn't apparently hurt, and the aggressive vigilante couldn't land a solid blow to save his life. How many swipes did he take, and there's no blood? Amazing.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 02:30 PM   #35
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
Posts: 4,034
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I blame the lawyers and justice system ,more then the criminals. I believe in old fashioned justice. If I was the Ruler of this world the first thing I would do is get rid of the "lawyer proffession", because it's useless and all it does is protect criminals and lets them off the hook, back into society.. where they continue to take advantage of the corrupt justice system.
wolfchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 03:12 PM   #36
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
The consensus when this video popped up 2 years ago was that it was either staged, or everyone involved was too inept for belief. The 'thief' wasn't apparently hurt, and the aggressive vigilante couldn't land a solid blow to save his life. How many swipes did he take, and there's no blood? Amazing.
Or it could be that most people can't fight well. We see movies and MMA fights on TV, but most people just flail their arms around in a fight hoping to land a hit and not get hit themselves.
jimnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 04:16 PM   #37
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know...at the end of the day, I guess we're just the animals we were created to be. World wars, violence, and bloodshed will continue to characterize us as the weak and fearful mammals that we are. It's out of our fear that we make weapons! It's also out of our fear that we run when unarmed, in the face of ferosity.

It's our own fear that will defeat us in the end, not some ghost from hither, or some alien from another part of the universe. We will prove more than adequately efficient at devastating ourselves, permanently. Afterall, it's in our DNA! We'll just pass this defective gene along, until one day...doomsday!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 04:24 PM   #38
Cyclomania
Senior Member
 
Cyclomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: American SPacifNorthWest. PDX
Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, I think these dudes attacking this thief were fairly lenient. They could have really hurt him badly. They were not wimpy attackers. More like ultimate fighters behind a grated fence. He's lucky to have gotten away, virtually unscathed.
Cyclomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 04:59 PM   #39
XR2
Senior Member
 
XR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the hills again
Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't "Bro" me if ya don't know me.
XR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 05:15 PM   #40
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
Don't "Bro" me if ya don't know me.
Yo Bro!...Sup!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 08:12 PM   #41
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: Tomasso Team Carbon
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
we're not talking about starting a bar fight because someone looked at you wrong, we're talking about catching a thief trying to take your property. there's a difference between having "tough guy syndrome" and having a pair of balls between your legs. the "problem" these days is said best by george carlin, "the pussification of the american male".
Here's what Betty thinks about having a set of balls
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Betty White.jpg (36.5 KB, 31 views)
Steve B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 08:53 PM   #42
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Here's what Betty thinks about having a set of balls
That Betty White is as Funny as Hell, I'll tell ya!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 09:15 PM   #43
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Yes, Flying Merkel!

However, in this society, if we're to evolve, we must take a higher road and not resort to the lowest form of human interaction____ and that's violence!

- Slim
Humility, meekness, kindness are not the highest human virtues. They're just other words for weakness. I'm not a hardass but if I caught someone trying to steal my bike, I'd be so angered, I might be moved to take vengeance. Nietzche believed that in the evolution of humanity, the old virtues of Christianity were replaced with a new morality, the will to war, the will to power, to overpower. Strength over weakness is the new arbiter of what is just. That's what Nietzsche thought, at least. Feel free to correct me anyone. I've been reading Will Durant's the Story of Philosophy and that's as much as I understood of Nietzsche.


I'm not saying you're not taking a risk in taking justice into your own hands, just offering a counterpoint to people who are saying violence is always wrong.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 09:18 PM   #44
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
I'm still waiting upon the day when our spears will become prunning hooks and our shields will become plowshares...

Of course, that's if we don't all get nuked, first!

Folks! There's just got to be another way!

- Slim
slim, with all due respect, sometimes I just don't know wtf you are talking about...and not just in this thread.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 09:50 PM   #45
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
slim, with all due respect, sometimes I just don't know wtf you are talking about...and not just in this thread.
I was trying to reference what I thought I remembered from the bible at Isaiah 2:4. However, as it turns out our swords get converted into plowshares and our spears into pruning hooks...It really doesn't matter. The point is that we are supposed to have the hope that our innate ways of war and fear will be overturned by the ultimate in righteous power...Afterwards, a millenium of peace and tranquility is supposed to dwell throughout the earth and the Great Crowd...

- Slim

PS.

Don't worry about it, my friend!

You can no more understand the insane, than you can understand yourself...

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-10-11 at 09:56 PM.
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 02:54 AM   #46
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
we're not talking about starting a bar fight because someone looked at you wrong, we're talking about catching a thief trying to take your property. there's a difference between having "tough guy syndrome" and having a pair of balls between your legs. the "problem" these days is said best by george carlin, "the pussification of the american male".
Balls are far less important than brains. Ask any woman. Men are usually the only ones to make that mistake due to some perceived masculinity conflict/question. It is without a doubt tough guy syndrome to jump a bike thief who is not actually attacking you. Anyone with a critical brain who has spent considerable time around real violence and its consequences knows how foolish it is to escalate a non-violent crime to violence when there are a myriad of better, more effective ways of dealing with the problem. "Tough guys" simply convince themselves that it is "necessary" to do so for whatever their personal justification. More often than not they fall back on the "balls" and "wussy" arguments as self-justifications and to boost their own egos (no I'm not trying to bad mouth you....). Fact of the matter is using your brain and "ending " the criminal w/o violence is WAY SMARTER than risking personal death or prison. Save your moments of physical affirmation for when they are truly warranted like stepping up for someone who is getting attacked.....

Oh, and careful taking your life lesson cues from a comedian no matter how funny he may be...
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 03:16 AM   #47
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
Humility, meekness, kindness are not the highest human virtues. They're just other words for weakness. I'm not a hardass but if I caught someone trying to steal my bike, I'd be so angered, I might be moved to take vengeance. Nietzche believed that in the evolution of humanity, the old virtues of Christianity were replaced with a new morality, the will to war, the will to power, to overpower. Strength over weakness is the new arbiter of what is just. That's what Nietzsche thought, at least. Feel free to correct me anyone. I've been reading Will Durant's the Story of Philosophy and that's as much as I understood of Nietzsche.


I'm not saying you're not taking a risk in taking justice into your own hands, just offering a counterpoint to people who are saying violence is always wrong.
Rubbish (respectfully). You can have each of those virtues in spades and still be a savage person in necessary circumstances. Lots of more thoughtful professional soldiers embody both and know when to turn off or on using their brain first and their brawn second. As for Nietzsche he is grotesquely overrated as model for action and is really only fully relevant in the context of his geopolitical time frame. I like a counterpoint but in this case it isn't all that applicable. Violence certainly has its place but this really isn't it. Truly strong people know the difference and make a distinction between situations that warrant and necessitate physical actions and those that simply do not.
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 03:35 AM   #48
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
You know...at the end of the day, I guess we're just the animals we were created to be. World wars, violence, and bloodshed will continue to characterize us as the weak and fearful mammals that we are. It's out of our fear that we make weapons! It's also out of our fear that we run when unarmed, in the face of ferosity.

It's our own fear that will defeat us in the end, not some ghost from hither, or some alien from another part of the universe. We will prove more than adequately efficient at devastating ourselves, permanently. Afterall, it's in our DNA! We'll just pass this defective gene along, until one day...doomsday!

- Slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
Balls are far less important than brains. Ask any woman. Men are usually the only ones to make that mistake due to some perceived masculinity conflict/question. It is without a doubt tough guy syndrome to jump a bike thief who is not actually attacking you. Anyone with a critical brain who has spent considerable time around real violence and its consequences knows how foolish it is to escalate a non-violent crime to violence when there are a myriad of better, more effective ways of dealing with the problem. "Tough guys" simply convince themselves that it is "necessary" to do so for whatever their personal justification. More often than not they fall back on the "balls" and "wussy" arguments as self-justifications and to boost their own egos (no I'm not trying to bad mouth you....). Fact of the matter is using your brain and "ending " the criminal w/o violence is WAY SMARTER than risking personal death or prison. Save your moments of physical affirmation for when they are truly warranted like stepping up for someone who is getting attacked.....

Oh, and careful taking your life lesson cues from a comedian no matter how funny he may be...
i think we've veered off course, let's bring it back towards the topic at hand, bike thieves.

i'll simplify my outlook on the situation: violence isn't the only answer, but sometimes a person deserves an ass kicking.
jimnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 12:39 PM   #49
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Theft of property can and should be a capitol crime.

Most of us have heard the phrase "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". What many are unaware of is that Jefferson plagiarized the concept from John Locke (whose ideas served as the philosophical underpinnings of our society) who coined the original phrase "Life, liberty, and property".

When dealing with the anti-social (of which all criminals are but one example) there are two possibilities capitulation or violence. That violence can be vigilante or governmental--never the less it is violence.
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 01:47 PM   #50
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
Theft of property can and should be a capitol crime.

Most of us have heard the phrase "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". What many are unaware of is that Jefferson plagiarized the concept from John Locke (whose ideas served as the philosophical underpinnings of our society) who coined the original phrase "Life, liberty, and property".

When dealing with the anti-social (of which all criminals are but one example) there are two possibilities capitulation or violence. That violence can be vigilante or governmental--never the less it is violence.
While Jefferson and Locke were great historic figures and philosophers. They lived centuries ago. Times have changed. Today, Jefferson would no longer be able to own slaves, and Locke would no longer be able to profit from "The Royal Africa" slave trading company. Moral values have changed as well. Most Americans no longer live by the motto, "Spare the rod, spoil the child" either. We have somewhat evolved as a society, to the point of accepting people with diverse ethnicities, and biological differences.

Violence does not really solve any type of a non-violent crime. Of course, you could go round up all of the bike thieves within a fifty-mile radius and have them all summarily shot in the head. However, should you stop there?
Why not kill car thieves? ...Why not kill all forgers, burglars, and drug dealers?...Why not kill all convicted felons?

Be careful, there may be some white-collar felons in there too...You know how much we hate to convict and punish white-collar criminals! Should they be rounded up and killed too?

I say, if these thieves are on drugs, then let's see to it that as part of their sentencing, they are committed to some drug rehab facility. If they are non-violent repeated offenders, then let's provide a honorable trade, by which they may return to society so that they can support themselves and their families.

If they are repeated violent offenders, then let's make certain that they are released with a skill, given appropriate counseling, and kept under strict scrutiny for two years. However, after three strikes, you're out!

Personally, I beileve, that most older bike thieves are drug addicts. Drug addiction is a disease that can be cured by many other means than death or violence...

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 PM.