Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-11, 02:35 PM   #51
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
While Jefferson and Locke were great historic figures and philosophers. They lived centuries ago. Times have changed. Today, Jefferson would no longer be able to own slaves, and Locke would no longer be able to profit from "The Royal Africa" slave trading company. Moral values have changed as well. Most Americans no longer live by the motto, "Spare the rod, spoil the child" either. We have somewhat evolved as a society, to the point of accepting people with diverse ethnicities, and biological differences.

Violence does not really solve any type of a non-violent crime. Of course, you could go round up all of the bike thieves within a fifty-mile radius and have them all summarily shot in the head. However, should you stop there?
Why not kill car thieves? ...Why not kill all forgers, burglars, and drug dealers?...Why not kill all convicted felons?

Be careful, there may be some white-collar felons in there too...You know how much we hate to convict and punish white-collar criminals! Should they be rounded up and killed too?

I say, if these thieves are on drugs, then let's see to it that as part of their sentencing, they are committed to some drug rehab facility. If they are non-violent repeated offenders, then let's provide a honorable trade, by which they may return to society so that they can support themselves and their families.

If they are repeated violent offenders, then let's make certain that they are released with a skill, given appropriate counseling, and kept under strict scrutiny for two years. However, after three strikes, you're out!

Personally, I beileve, that most older bike thieves are drug addicts. Drug addiction is a disease that can be cured by many other means than death or violence...

- Slim

Slim,

You confuse change with "evolution". There is nothing more "evolved" about our society versus that of Jefferson or Locke's--it is just different. And Locke's philosophy (like any philosophical system) is timeless. His system is built on axioms (like any philosophical system) and if you accept those axioms, the rest follows logically. Clearly, you don't accept his axiom that property is the most fundamental of all rights... You certainly have that choice... and the logical result is that anyone who wishes to can take your property without consequence--after all you wouldn't be willing to use violence to prevent them.

Since the only prevention is violence. Either your committing the violence directly, or having the government commit the violence for you in the form of a police officer/judicial system. And simply jailing a criminal is a form of violence. Violence is not a binary action (non-violence/violence), it is a description of degrees, In any situation where two or more persons interact there is some degree of violence. One definition (and a good one) of violence is the depriving of someone else through force (or threat of force) the action that they wish to commit. For instance, in marriage, that violence usually takes the form of compromise or verbal arguments/discussions to achieve such compromise...

I personally find the theft of property to be as heinous as murder. I don't care if the theft is a bike, a car, or a package of bubble gum... The perpetrator has relinquished all rights to belong in a civilized society.
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 02:56 PM   #52
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
i think we've veered off course, let's bring it back towards the topic at hand, bike thieves.

i'll simplify my outlook on the situation: violence isn't the only answer, but sometimes a person deserves an ass kicking.
No, actually those responses were fully on topic. The topic is roughly justice as exampled by physically punishing a bike thief. While you and others may find that justified the law DOES NOT. So not only is it not legally warranted but it is also a silly mistake in a world of armed and often organized thieves. Make all the justifications you like but I and others who know better can provide volumes of actual experiences where your sort of "justice" goes wrong and land the theft victim seriously injured, dead, or in jail awaiting trial. There are far wiser options that punish the thief and do not open the victim up to further victimization regardless of the "pacifism" question. Bottom line, there ARE times to get physical and from a cost benefit standpoint (given other options) theft simply isn't one of them.
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 03:10 PM   #53
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
Theft of property can and should be a capitol crime.

Most of us have heard the phrase "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". What many are unaware of is that Jefferson plagiarized the concept from John Locke (whose ideas served as the philosophical underpinnings of our society) who coined the original phrase "Life, liberty, and property".

When dealing with the anti-social (of which all criminals are but one example) there are two possibilities capitulation or violence. That violence can be vigilante or governmental--never the less it is violence.
That is so silly it barely warrants a reply. If you truly believe the death penalty is the appropriate response to theft then you surpass even the draconian "morality" of Islamic states. Think about that for a second and you may want to revise your ideology. What is more, your attempt to reduce responses to crime as a binary choice of violence or capitulation is immensely short sighted and problematic. I'm sure it was just hyperbole but it is certainly nonsense and unworthy of utterance even as a conceptual position. If you really think years in prison for non-violent criminal activity is "capitulation" then that is truly sad. By your measure the response to all criminal activity is violence so what do you suggest as punishment for drug possession, public nudity, hacking, public intoxication, or solicitation?? Caning perhaps??

EDIT:

Yes, I read your following post. My position stands. I would simply contend that there is little reason to debate our real world position to your philosophical one. Not that there isn't intellectual value to debating the latter but it is not a level sided and useful discussion then. I would however cation you that philosophical systems are not "timeless" in the way you imply. The are informed by the historical context in which they emerge and while some components in the world are timeless, much else is dynamic so new challenges to philosophies can and do render them "dated" and less relevant if not completely inaccurate.

Last edited by HokuLoa; 10-11-11 at 03:24 PM.
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 05:34 PM   #54
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
No, actually those responses were fully on topic. The topic is roughly justice as exampled by physically punishing a bike thief. While you and others may find that justified the law DOES NOT. So not only is it not legally warranted but it is also a silly mistake in a world of armed and often organized thieves. Make all the justifications you like but I and others who know better can provide volumes of actual experiences where your sort of "justice" goes wrong and land the theft victim seriously injured, dead, or in jail awaiting trial. There are far wiser options that punish the thief and do not open the victim up to further victimization regardless of the "pacifism" question. Bottom line, there ARE times to get physical and from a cost benefit standpoint (given other options) theft simply isn't one of them.
a lot of responses are way out in left field. the original topic was about a bike thief getting pushed and slapped a few times after being caught. now people are bringing up murder and the end of the world.

if someone is trying to steal your bike, you're not going to be able to do anything except scream "bike thief" if you don't get physical. should the day ever come, each person needs to assess that particular situation. should i find someone trying to steal my bike, chances are slim that i'll be screaming "bike thief" while the guy runs.
jimnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:01 PM   #55
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
a lot of responses are way out in left field. the original topic was about a bike thief getting pushed and slapped a few times after being caught. now people are bringing up murder and the end of the world.

if someone is trying to steal your bike, you're not going to be able to do anything except scream "bike thief" if you don't get physical. should the day ever come, each person needs to assess that particular situation. should i find someone trying to steal my bike, chances are slim that i'll be screaming "bike thief" while the guy runs.
Hyperbole is one thing but the basic gist is "does turning a witnessed theft warrant or necessitate a violent response and is it wise to do so. I'm telling you simply it doesn't when the end result can likely be a knife or gun pulled and/or escalation including other parties. So, is "justice" by violent reprisal a good idea if the "victim" ends up severely beaten or dead? Not for me. How about if the confrontation escalates and the only option results in the thief maimed or dead? Does that serve the victim to be criminally or civilly liable just to save their bike. Again, not for me. As you said it is a decision for each to assess. Having seen the ramifications of poor decisions (both legally and physically) I know better than to play the "you must defend" fallacy unless it is actually truly necessary.
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 09:07 AM   #56
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
That is so silly it barely warrants a reply. If you truly believe the death penalty is the appropriate response to theft then you surpass even the draconian "morality" of Islamic states. Think about that for a second and you may want to revise your ideology. What is more, your attempt to reduce responses to crime as a binary choice of violence or capitulation is immensely short sighted and problematic. I'm sure it was just hyperbole but it is certainly nonsense and unworthy of utterance even as a conceptual position. If you really think years in prison for non-violent criminal activity is "capitulation" then that is truly sad. By your measure the response to all criminal activity is violence so what do you suggest as punishment for drug possession, public nudity, hacking, public intoxication, or solicitation?? Caning perhaps??

EDIT:

Yes, I read your following post. My position stands. I would simply contend that there is little reason to debate our real world position to your philosophical one. Not that there isn't intellectual value to debating the latter but it is not a level sided and useful discussion then. I would however cation you that philosophical systems are not "timeless" in the way you imply. The are informed by the historical context in which they emerge and while some components in the world are timeless, much else is dynamic so new challenges to philosophies can and do render them "dated" and less relevant if not completely inaccurate.
So you believe that prison for theft is not violence? Imprisoning a criminal is no less violent than whacking on them when you catch them (the op video scenario). Capitulation is not engaging in some form of violence to defend your property--even if that violence is calling a public servant to commit that violence in your name... And frankly, the only crimes I would consider crimes are those that cause harm to someone else against their will--so drugs, public nudity, intoxication, etc... shouldn't be crimes... By making them so we are committing a form of violence (threat of punishment) for no legitimate purpose. Hacking would be an exception in your list, since it (much like theft) is a crime that causes harm to another. And frankly, since committing a crime is a personal choice, I consider the death penalty societies best option for dealing with the anti-social human refuse that commits crimes...OF ANY KIND.

Oh, and a philosophical argument can never be dated (since it is a self contained logical argument), but it can loose relevance for a society that no longer shares beliefs in the philosophies axioms... A distinction you among others seem incapable of understanding... Calling it dated is as self aggrandizing as the OP's use of the term "enlightened" or "evolved" when he refers to his pacifism, as opposed to those brutal human animals that commit violence...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 09:19 AM   #57
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
While you and others may find that justified the law DOES NOT. So not only is it not legally warranted ...
You are mistaken (or at least generalizing too much). In many places (my state for one) the law does allow the use of force (including lethal force) to defend one's property. My state also indemnifies the citizen against civil suite if the legal system deems the use of force justified.

Oh, and there is ample evidence that law-abiding citizens in many places are also armed, not just the criminals.., Many examples occur daily of such law abiding citizens causing those criminals to look for better targets...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 02:36 PM   #58
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
So you believe that prison for theft is not violence? Imprisoning a criminal is no less violent than whacking on them when you catch them (the op video scenario). Capitulation is not engaging in some form of violence to defend your property--even if that violence is calling a public servant to commit that violence in your name... And frankly, the only crimes I would consider crimes are those that cause harm to someone else against their will--so drugs, public nudity, intoxication, etc... shouldn't be crimes... By making them so we are committing a form of violence (threat of punishment) for no legitimate purpose. Hacking would be an exception in your list, since it (much like theft) is a crime that causes harm to another. And frankly, since committing a crime is a personal choice, I consider the death penalty societies best option for dealing with the anti-social human refuse that commits crimes...OF ANY KIND.

Oh, and a philosophical argument can never be dated (since it is a self contained logical argument), but it can loose relevance for a society that no longer shares beliefs in the philosophies axioms... A distinction you among others seem incapable of understanding... Calling it dated is as self aggrandizing as the OP's use of the term "enlightened" or "evolved" when he refers to his pacifism, as opposed to those brutal human animals that commit violence...
Yeah, sorry but I'm not going to engage in a debate driven by semantics. Much less with someone who simultaneously tries to infuse that debate with THEIR OWN PERSONAL definitions. You know full well what REAL WORLD application we were discussing. Twisting the frame of discussion to fit your own position is as disingenuous as your patronizing and pathetic "incapable of understanding" comment. I have extensive educational background in this and related theory and decades of real world experience that informs my decision making and position so save your cop-out attempts at discrediting me. I'm happy to discuss this rationally but not with someone who insists on shifting the frame of discussion to fit their position.

On a further note, you are SO SO off base if you think philosophies cannot be dated. Time and temporal realities are a fundamental component of any philosophy and its foundation. To simultaneously say one cannot be dated but CAN lose relevance is just absurd UNLESS you are pigeon holing your position with tailored semantics.

So no. Not gonna happen. Your next post further supports the futility of engaging in rational further discussion. Application is everything and of course one can support a position in the abstract by tailoring the parameters of the discussion. However, real world experience informs one of REAL WORLD realities. I have both the theoretical and the world experience to know that escalation to PERSONALLY DIRECTED PHYSICAL VIOLENCE does not make sense for a non-violent crime. Bravado and naivety (and perhaps personal luck) may lead one to think otherwise but extensive experience is VERY strong support for choosing other more effective and less risky options.

Bottom line, people believe what they believe until experience informs them otherwise.....
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 03:22 PM   #59
bigbadwullf
Senior Member
 
bigbadwullf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West, Tn.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things are really a LOT easier with a .40 caliber.
Generally your hands don't get hurt and dude doesn't get another chance to steal a bike.
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 03:26 PM   #60
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
Things are really a LOT easier with a .40 caliber.
Generally your hands don't get hurt and dude doesn't get another chance to steal a bike.
Of course generally speaking you also don't get to enjoy your bike anymore from your new prison home either....
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 04:18 PM   #61
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I caught someone trying to steal my bike, I'd have one thing to say:

"QUIT YOUR F****IN' SCREAMING AND WIPE YOUR BLOOD OFF MY SHOE!"
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 06:07 PM   #62
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
Yeah, sorry but I'm not going to engage in a debate driven by semantics. Much less with someone who simultaneously tries to infuse that debate with THEIR OWN PERSONAL definitions. You know full well what REAL WORLD application we were discussing. Twisting the frame of discussion to fit your own position is as disingenuous as your patronizing and pathetic "incapable of understanding" comment. I have extensive educational background in this and related theory and decades of real world experience that informs my decision making and position so save your cop-out attempts at discrediting me. I'm happy to discuss this rationally but not with someone who insists on shifting the frame of discussion to fit their position.

On a further note, you are SO SO off base if you think philosophies cannot be dated. Time and temporal realities are a fundamental component of any philosophy and its foundation. To simultaneously say one cannot be dated but CAN lose relevance is just absurd UNLESS you are pigeon holing your position with tailored semantics.

So no. Not gonna happen. Your next post further supports the futility of engaging in rational further discussion. Application is everything and of course one can support a position in the abstract by tailoring the parameters of the discussion. However, real world experience informs one of REAL WORLD realities. I have both the theoretical and the world experience to know that escalation to PERSONALLY DIRECTED PHYSICAL VIOLENCE does not make sense for a non-violent crime. Bravado and naivety (and perhaps personal luck) may lead one to think otherwise but extensive experience is VERY strong support for choosing other more effective and less risky options.

Bottom line, people believe what they believe until experience informs them otherwise.....
Yes your right, your so brilliant I just didn't see it since I was blinded by your "light"

However, there is plenty of evidence that the use of personal violence or the threat there of does wonders at discouraging thieves... Or at least getting rid of them. And as I said despite your "highly educated" claims to the contrary the use of force (including lethal force) is LEGAL in many states (mine included)...

Of course that is a different issue from my opinion that Thieve (and criminals in general) do not deserve to continue breathing. And in a less screwed up society they wouldn't.
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 09:49 PM   #63
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
Yes your right, your so brilliant I just didn't see it since I was blinded by your "light"

However, there is plenty of evidence that the use of personal violence or the threat there of does wonders at discouraging thieves... Or at least getting rid of them. And as I said despite your "highly educated" claims to the contrary the use of force (including lethal force) is LEGAL in many states (mine included)...

Of course that is a different issue from my opinion that Thieve (and criminals in general) do not deserve to continue breathing. And in a less screwed up society they wouldn't.
I never claimed brilliance. I just pointed out that your patronizing condescension ("incapable of understanding") is WAY misplaced with someone who has advanced degrees with heavy emphasis on the subject (realism, power, violence, law etc) and LOTS of global, first hand experience. You are the one resorting to absurdly dismissive personal comments and irrational arguments. If you fail to back up your position without re-framing, drifting to theoretical abstraction, or just plain old inaccuracy that is your problem not mine. It reflects a ton more on you than it does on me so flame away, you simply are not worth my time....

Enjoy!
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 10:03 AM   #64
jack002
Senior Member
 
jack002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southwest MO
Bikes: (1) 1993 Cannondale R900, red
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
If I caught someone trying to steal my bike, I'd have one thing to say:

"QUIT YOUR F****IN' SCREAMING AND WIPE YOUR BLOOD OFF MY SHOE!"
LOL! +1
I can totally defend that.
jack002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 03:41 PM   #65
JamesSGE
Member
 
JamesSGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Worldwide
Bikes: GT Aggressor
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Ever been so pissed, you just plain lose it?

- Slim

I'm just say'n...

Legend !!!
JamesSGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 02:01 PM   #66
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow.

HokuLoa and myrriddin getting INTO it on a somewhat metaphysical level!

OK, my two cents......

1. Education is not wisdom; neither is one man's, or one group's, life experiences the yardstick for all. Hoku, you need to dial it back a touch. Your background may well be full of deep experiences of life, but you're as susceptible to error as all of us.

2. Myrr, redefining crime and then advocating for capital punishment for ALL crime is theory in its most ethereal; let's stay on topic.

Sure, it's a fact that more than a few people have been hurt and/or wrongly imprisoned for 'taking the law into their own hands'; MANY have NOT. Those that have not are usually people who have some real-life experience to draw from, and not just a societal more'.

I said it before, only a little bit tongue-in-cheek, that I would tell a thief to quit screaming and wipe his blood off my shoe. My foundation for that is this:

I'm an old soldier, with a variety of training; I didn't just start with basic, nor did I stop there. I made it a point to learn deadly force with hands and feet, because I believe someday I will need that knowledge. HAVING that knowledge allows for non-deadly, but still significant, force to be applied. If someone decides that MY property, a material thing that I decided would make my life better (and therefore traded for the fruits of my irreplaceable hours of life and labor), should be theirs JUST because they think they can TAKE it, well... come and get it, partner. It's the manifest of a piece OF my life you're trying to take, and YOU JUST WON'T BE DOING IT WITHOUT ME HAVING A PROBLEM WITH IT.
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 02:27 PM   #67
cruiserhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I catch a bike thief red-handed, I don't condone violence.

I would thank whoever blindsided, cold-cocked him to the side of the face.
... and watch the dazed thief trip and hit his face on the pavement. Repeatedly.


... but I would just hog tie him and call the police, and tell them a bike thief is waiting for them.
Always let the law take care of it. It will prevent the thief from being a repeat offender.
cruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 02:40 PM   #68
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserhead View Post
If I catch a bike thief red-handed, I don't condone violence.

I would thank whoever blindsided, cold-cocked him to the side of the face.
... and watch the dazed thief trip and hit his face on the pavement. Repeatedly.


... but I would just hog tie him and call the police, and tell them a bike thief is waiting for them.
Always let the law take care of it. It will prevent the thief from being a repeat offender.
Cruiserhead!

Shame on you! I've never heard of such a huge crock of BS in my entire life. Just say how you really feel! Stand up and be a man about it! Express your innermost feelings about the true details of the actual encounter between you and the bike thief that you catch red-handed trying to steal your bike. There's no shame in this revelation!
C'mon! Just say it!


- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-11, 01:05 AM   #69
Moontrane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Temecula, CA
Bikes: Habanero 2009
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Friend of mine was takingnight classes at a college in NYC. Heleft after class to go to his car only to find a crowd near it and police witha suspect in cuffs. He then saw that hiswindow was broken and that his car stereo was on the sidewalk. (Crackhead brokeinto his car and tried to steal his stereo.)

The police told him that theycould take the suspect into custody, or they could leave him there with myfriend so he could "educate" the perp.

My friend said to leave himthere, whereupon the police uncuffed the perp and walked to their policecar. My friend started wailing on the perp,only to have the cops tell him to wait until they were gone!

Law enforcement-approved street justice.
Moontrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 05:33 PM   #70
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
Wow.
1. Education is not wisdom; neither is one man's, or one group's, life experiences the yardstick for all. Hoku, you need to dial it back a touch. Your background may well be full of deep experiences of life, but you're as susceptible to error as all of us.
Debatable but not the point. I brought my educational and professional experience into the thread as a response to the "incapable of understanding" nonsense being used to dismiss my position. It served the purpose of informing the respondent what an absurd assumption his assertion was given the fact that both my education and my life experience are rooted in both the theory and application of the topics discussed. What it comes down to is that my education provided the foundation knowledge, the statistical background, and the analytical expertise to look at this and related subjects objectively.

Am I open to error? Absolutely, and I am always happy to admit I'm wrong and learn. However, with both the education and decades of professional experience filled with anecdotal examples to back up the statistics I know to be true..., well I'm open to new data but it doesn't leave much room for argument. It is a basic difference between being truly objective versus subjective. So while yes I may be susceptible to error, I frankly am not "as susceptible as all of us" as you put it. That is kind of like saying a software engineer is as susceptible to error when discuss coding as is a lawyer. Sure as a generalization but definitely not when discussing their particular field.

Either way, I've re-realized the futility of debate in online forums. People are not required to be objective or rational so there really is little point in trying. People will do/believe what they feel is right. I wish them all the best...
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 06:39 PM   #71
cruiserhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's weird, when I put this through the 4G double-talk translator...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
Debatable but not the point. I brought my educational and professional experience into the thread as a response to the "incapable of understanding" nonsense being used to dismiss my position. It served the purpose of informing the respondent what an absurd assumption his assertion was given the fact that both my education and my life experience are rooted in both the theory and application of the topics discussed. What it comes down to is that my education provided the foundation knowledge, the statistical background, and the analytical expertise to look at this and related subjects objectively.

Am I open to error? Absolutely, and I am always happy to admit I'm wrong and learn. However, with both the education and decades of professional experience filled with anecdotal examples to back up the statistics I know to be true..., well I'm open to new data but it doesn't leave much room for argument. It is a basic difference between being truly objective versus subjective. So while yes I may be susceptible to error, I frankly am not "as susceptible as all of us" as you put it. That is kind of like saying a software engineer is as susceptible to error when discuss coding as is a lawyer. Sure as a generalization but definitely not when discussing their particular field.

Either way, I've re-realized the futility of debate in online forums. People are not required to be objective or rational so there really is little point in trying. People will do/believe what they feel is right. I wish them all the best...
...I get this--->
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post

1. Education is not wisdom; neither is one man's, or one group's, life experiences the yardstick for all. Hoku, you need to dial it back a touch. Your background may well be full of deep experiences of life, but you're as susceptible to error as all of us.
cruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 06:51 PM   #72
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cruiserhead, you're truly a profound character...

That was deep!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 10:00 PM   #73
bikenooby
Junior Member
 
bikenooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Georgia
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly,
You all have been tricked by a very good conversationalist. His name is Slim. He has been infected by the infamous troll disease. Symptoms: flip flopping your responses to encourage more responses, starting threads that have been talked to death in the past, and further more, posting just to get post counts above the norm. We all need to come together and cure poor Slim of his trollishness. Will you join me, and no longer respond to this troll, for Slim!

Thanks,

-- BN

Last edited by bikenooby; 10-25-11 at 10:54 PM.
bikenooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 10:08 AM   #74
Ratzinger
Buddy
 
Ratzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I watched that video. I find it ugly and sad to see one person trying to hurt another like that.
I'm not judging the attacker. I don't know how I would react in that situation.

This has been an interesting discussion. I would like to say that harsh justice often doesn't solve the root problems of crime and poverty to begin with.
Also, there is a difference in what people do in the heat of the moment (like the guy in the video) and what the justice systems can do to people in cold blood (death penalty, for example). We need a system that rises above our human frailties.
Ratzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 11:15 AM   #75
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bikenooby says:
Quote:
You all have been tricked by a very good conversationalist. His name is Slim.
He has been infected by the infamous troll disease. Symptoms: flip flopping your
responses to encourage more responses, starting threads that have been talked to
death in the past, and further more, posting just to get post counts above the
norm. We all need to come together and cure poor Slim of his trollishness. Will
you join me, and no longer respond to this troll, for Slim!

You're not too observant, Bikenooby.

I really haven't given this thread that much attention, given that I started it. I've lost bikes due to theft before and it's a very painful experience. I've quite often thought about just what I would do, if I were to catch a thief red-handed at stealing my bike. Just wanted to get other people's opinions on the matter.

It's just that simple! ...No trolling....Well, I don't know. Whenever, you start a thread, you do want people to pay attention to it, don't you? ...Therefore, since most trolls, post for attention, I guess, since I want people to read and comment on whatever I post, I guess that could make me a troll.

However, it would also make most other people trolls too! Then, anybody who posts more than the average number of posts, could be considered as a troll.

I have a few strong opinions about bike frame materials. In particular, I have an opinion about how aluminum entered into the bicycle market. It's possible that I'm wrong, but it's my opinion. It's an opinion that I find interesting and found a few others who agree with me and feel the exact same way. I love cycling and bicycles. I am currently not doing well health-wise and I find BF entertaining. I feel free to write or comment about my most beloved past time, cycling.

If that makes me a troll, then I guess, I'm a troll!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-26-11 at 11:18 AM.
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 PM.