Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-11, 03:28 PM   #1
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike Theft and Street Justice

I am pretty much a pacifist until I witness things like robberies, muggings, molestations, and Bike Thefts!

Hearing about it is one thing...Actually witnessing it take place with your own personal bike, just might be another story!

Watch this:

http://vimeo.com/6475675

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 03:31 PM   #2
fishymamba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal T.O.
Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
he deserved more than that.
fishymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 03:33 PM   #3
Paranoid.Guy
Senior Member
 
Paranoid.Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Bikes: DHS Jumper BMX; RichBike MTB
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you call the police if you saw someone with a bolt cutter attacking the lock on your bike? I would tell the thief that the bicycle he is trying to steal is mine and I'd tell him to get his hands off it. Better don't use violence unless really needed.
Paranoid.Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 03:41 PM   #4
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid.Guy View Post
Would you call the police if you saw someone with a bolt cutter attacking the lock on your bike? I would tell the thief that the bicycle he is trying to steal is mine and I'd tell him to get his hands off it. Better don't use violence unless really needed.
Ever been so pissed, you just plain lose it?

- Slim

I'm just say'n...
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 06:17 PM   #5
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pacifists don't champion 'street justice' or mob violence.

They could have grabbed the guy and held him for LEO.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 06:22 PM   #6
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Pacifists don't champion 'street justice' or mob violence.

They could have grabbed the guy and held him for LEO.
I know! I know! I know!

...............It's just that I know how these guys operate. It's like a job to them!

While I don't think I'd be inclined to hit this guy at first. It wouldn't take much for me to nail 'em if he cursed me or something. Any provocation at all, would be enough, I think...I don't know...Maybe not?

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 06:37 PM   #7
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
While I don't think I'd be inclined to hit this guy at first. It wouldn't take much for me to nail 'em if he cursed me or something. Any provocation at all, would be enough, I think...I don't know...Maybe not?

- Slim
Do you know what Pacifist means?
dcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 06:41 PM   #8
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
Do you know what Pacifist means?
Thanks for asking this question DCrowell!

You've challenged me to take a really deep and introspective look into myself...

I could easily replace my bike a hundred times over. I could never replace another person's pain or suffering. Material things can always be replaced. However, human suffering, pain, and trauma is haunting...forever!

Thanks DCrowell!

You made me think and search deep inside myself...

- Slim

PS.

It's not really within me to hurt anyone, really...

I guess all those Tae Kwon Do classes were for nothing, huh?

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-09-11 at 07:07 PM.
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 07:30 PM   #9
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I presume use of the contraction "bro" (brother), as in "Don't steal bikes, bro." in the context of this attack is facetious, as the term "pal" might have been used similarly in the past. In attacking the thief, I would have been more inclined to say, "Hey pal, don't steal bikes." I guess that dates me?
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 07:39 PM   #10
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
I presume use of the contraction "bro" (brother), as in "Don't steal bikes, bro." in the context of this attack is facetious, as the term "pal" might have been used similarly in the past. In attacking the thief, I would have been more inclined to say, "Hey pal, don't steal bikes." I guess that dates me?
No...I'm afraid that words and names are nothing when it comes to violence and brutality. Names and words are dwarfed and shallowed by the inhumane treatment that one human being can impose upon another...

You're not dated... You're reminded!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-09-11 at 08:30 PM.
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 07:50 PM   #11
kageones
prying open my third eye
 
kageones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Bikes: yes
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishymamba View Post
he deserved more than that.
I am surprised he didn't, 3 on 1 in NYC getting caught stealing someones bike usually ends worse than that, he got lucky.
kageones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 08:27 PM   #12
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steal my stuff I might kick your a$$ depending on what it was.

Harm my family or close friend it will be a ............vendetta......against you and yours.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 08:32 PM   #13
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg
 
GriddleCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Anchorage, AK
Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')
Posts: 1,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old video is old.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ats-bike-thief
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...teal-bikes-bro

"Don't steal bikes, bro" was all over the internet when it was posted two years ago. Welcome to the now.
GriddleCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 08:39 PM   #14
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Steal my stuff I might kick your a$$ depending on what it was.

Harm my family or close friend it will be a ............vendetta......against you and yours.
Damn Nightshade!

That's sounds just like the mentality of the Crips and the Bloods! Certainly we're above urban barbarianism!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 08:41 PM   #15
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kageones View Post
I am surprised he didn't, 3 on 1 in NYC getting caught stealing someones bike usually ends worse than that, he got lucky.
I hope you weren't wishing violence upon the guy!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 09:07 PM   #16
kageones
prying open my third eye
 
kageones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Bikes: yes
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
I hope you weren't wishing violence upon the guy!

- Slim
LOL I never said I was the pacifist!
kageones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 09:24 PM   #17
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Pacifists don't champion 'street justice' or mob violence.

They could have grabbed the guy and held him for LEO.
It is all fine and dandy to speak in the abstract.

I too agree that violence should only be used as a last resort.

If it was my bike, however, that was stolen I might be inclined to administer more than just a little street justice.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 09:39 PM   #18
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Damn Nightshade!

That's sounds just like the mentality of the Crips and the Bloods! Certainly we're above urban barbarianism!

- Slim
No false bravado or street gang mentality at all. I meant what I said.............

Steal my bike.......big deal since I've got insurance for that and most everything I own.

Messing with my family or close friend is a whole different story...........

That is all I'll say on the topic.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 10:01 PM   #19
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Violence breeds violence. People with tough guy syndrome are often as bad as criminals and often meet a "humbling" experience. Get tough with a bike thief and you might find they can be every bit as organized as any gang. That video could just have easily been one vigilante cyclist victim who decided to rough up the thief and then got jumped by the thief's lookout partners. Unless threatened with immediate bodily harm it is beyond stupid to take a simple problem/crime to physical altercation these days.
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 11:30 PM   #20
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
Violence breeds violence. People with tough guy syndrome are often as bad as criminals and often meet a "humbling" experience. Get tough with a bike thief and you might find they can be every bit as organized as any gang. That video could just have easily been one vigilante cyclist victim who decided to rough up the thief and then got jumped by the thief's lookout partners. Unless threatened with immediate bodily harm it is beyond stupid to take a simple problem/crime to physical altercation these days.
That's right, HokuLoa!

A G R E E D !

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 11:31 PM   #21
Flying Merkel
Senior Member
 
Flying Merkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Ever been so pissed, you just plain lose it?

- Slim

I'm just say'n...
Got to agree. Some a$$wipe trying to steal my bike and acting likes it's no big deal- I'd be looking to land a kick in the ribs with intention to break at least one. I'm a calm & gentle soul. I'm also human.
Flying Merkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 11:35 PM   #22
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel View Post
Got to agree. Some a$$wipe trying to steal my bike and acting likes it's no big deal- I'd be looking to land a kick in the ribs with intention to break at least one. I'm a calm & gentle soul. I'm also human.
Yes, Flying Merkel!

However, in this society, if we're to evolve, we must take a higher road and not resort to the lowest form of human interaction____ and that's violence!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 11:51 PM   #23
Nermal
Senior Member
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Farmington, NM
Bikes: Giant Cypress SX
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
Do you know what Pacifist means?
Sure. A pacifist is a person who doesn't believe in violence - till the wind shifts and he hoists the Jolly Roger.
__________________
Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Nermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 11:58 PM   #24
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Sure. A pacifist is a person who doesn't believe in violence - till the wind shifts and he hoists the Jolly Roger.
God! I want you to be so wrong about that assumption!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 01:13 AM   #25
HokuLoa
Blissketeer
 
HokuLoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Sure. A pacifist is a person who doesn't believe in violence - till the wind shifts and he hoists the Jolly Roger.
LOL! Yo ho, yo ho the violent life fer me!!!

Seriously though, it IS awful tough to take the correct, high road when one gets "hot." There is a time and place for violence (I think) but unless there is a real physical threat to "you and yours" escalation is a foolish decision. MUCH better to involve a sanctioned authority rather than go pirate and risk death and/or prosecution for a non-threatening crime.

(The jolly roger image does amuse me greatly though!)
HokuLoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 AM.