Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-11, 04:25 PM   #1
mozad655
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dish soap and hot water as degreaser?

Using dish soap and hot water as chain degreaser is an easy solution, but are there any side effects?
mozad655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 04:54 PM   #2
Pete In Az
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rust?
Pete In Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 04:59 PM   #3
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Side effects? YES! Water will remain in the pin area of each link displacing any lubricant. NOT good.

Best to wash your chain in Kerosene then lube it.

A gallon of Kerosene will wash your chain for a long time if kept in a closed top pail.

The dirt will settle to the bottom leaving clean kerosene for next time.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 05:01 PM   #4
mozad655
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
surely the rust problems comming from it wont be much worse than those that come from riding in the rain once in a while..? you could also dry the chain properly getting rid of almost all leftover water.
mozad655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 05:14 PM   #5
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozad655 View Post
surely the rust problems comming from it wont be much worse than those that come from riding in the rain once in a while..? you could also dry the chain properly getting rid of almost all leftover water.
Listen, If you wanna clean your chain with soap/water go the hell a head and do it! You asked if it did harm and it will in time.

Kerosene is a petroleum distillate that cleans and leaves a little lube in all those hard to get places. If you apply a chain lube after you clean it with kero your chain should last a long time.

Or you can keep washing it with soap/water and buy a new chain more often.

Your choice..........
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 05:21 PM   #6
mozad655
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol relax I asked and responded critically to your argument (that it makes lubing hard) since thats not (for me at least) a valid reason as you could easely dry the chain. Kerosene being a good degreaser as it also acts as lube in the hard to get to places is however a more logical reason. So thank you for that clearification. What about other non kerosene degreasers? will they not leave behind a little lube in "all those hard to get places" ?
mozad655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 05:54 PM   #7
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This should be part of Chain Questions 101:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/28/...-with-shimano/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerumor.com
BikeRumor: What is Shimano’s official stance on the chain lube that comes stock on a shimano chain? Is it actually a lube, or a grease? And is it best to leave it on until the chain gets noisy and relube, or strip it right away and relube before riding?

Nick: So that brings us to lubrication. I mentioned that the chain wears because of friction as the chain moves to wrap around a gear. Well, that friction is reduced if there is lube on the chain. If there is dirt mixed in, the lube makes a bigger difference in reducing friction. If there is water mixed in, the lube helps displace the water. The grease that comes on a Shimano chain is applied at the factory to the individual pieces before the chain is assembled. The grease does a better job of reducing friction than aftermarket chain lubes and it lasts longer. The main reason we use liquid chain lube, whether it is one that stays liquid or a dry lube that has a solid lubricant in a liquid carrier (like a PTFE lube) is because we need to get the lube on a part that is not accessible without disassembling the chain. So the best thing to do when installing a new chain is to leave the factory grease on, not apply any other lube, ride until it wears out and then start applying liquid chain lube. In dusty conditions you can wipe off the outside of the new chain with a rag that is wet with a gentle degreaser to keep dirt from sticking to the grease. The factory grease also keeps the chain nice and quiet. After soaking a chain in degreaser and then lubing the chain with liquid lubricant the chain gets noticeably louder.

Shimano does not have an official recommended chain lube. They all seem to work pretty good. Different people have different preferences and different conditions require different lubes.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 07:59 PM   #8
Jyyanks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Suburbs of NYC
Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only problem with keresone is that it smells terrible and is so toxic. You could just buy a cheap degreaser at any bike shop for less than $10
Jyyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 08:33 PM   #9
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,237
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozad655 View Post
Using dish soap and hot water as chain degreaser is an easy solution, but are there any side effects?
Yeah ... whatever you're degreasing with be ... degreased.

Just be sure to dry and lubricate when you're finished the degreasing process.

When I've done it, I spray the chain with Simple Green, let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then wash with dish soap and hot water ... let drip dry, and then relubricate.

My chains have lasted for many thousands of kilometres.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 09:51 PM   #10
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep
 
Wake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisville KY
Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You don't really need the hot water.
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 03:46 AM   #11
Jimi77
Used & Abused
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can bake or "fry" the chain to evaporate any traces of H2O that might have been left behind during the washing process.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 03:52 AM   #12
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,237
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
you can bake or "fry" the chain to evaporate any traces of H2O that might have been left behind during the washing process.
Or blow dry ... like with a hair drier.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 05:14 AM   #13
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,934
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Diesel is the chain wash of my choice. Really cheap, smells better than kerosene, as effective in the cleaning process as kerosene. Sheldon Brown's cocktail shaker method really works (but I do it twice).

For me, a solvent is much more effective than using a detergent.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 12:34 PM   #14
mozad655
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeh i've thought of the blow drying aswell, would surely remove all water. The reason I havent bought degreaser is that its actually quite expensive where I live, and mostly comes in either small liquid quantities or slighly larger quantities in the shape of sprays. I mention hot water as I assume that heating up any grease will make its density slighly lower, thus making it easier to get rid of. Normal cooking oil on a pan being heated up, clearly shows how the otherwise somewhat sticky oil raipidly turns into waterlike liquid that can easely be turned from side to side.
mozad655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 03:57 PM   #15
Muffin Man
SS/FG? Nah son.
 
Muffin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: SS Evo Hi Mod, Steamroller
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
So would a simple green/water mix in a bottle work? Or should i get some mineral spirits? I don't have either, so I would need to buy one or the other, and they both cost about the same.
Muffin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 04:09 PM   #16
ahsposo 
Titanic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deep in the North Atlantic
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,072
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
I use a mix of mineral spirits and 30 weight motor oil in a roughly 60/40 mix. I put it in either a lidded jar (the cocktail shaker) or I have one of those chain cleaner deals with the brushes inside.

Like this:

ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 05:09 PM   #17
Muffin Man
SS/FG? Nah son.
 
Muffin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: SS Evo Hi Mod, Steamroller
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Nvm I found some paint thinner at home. Thats a mineral spirit right?
Muffin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 10:26 PM   #18
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Bikes:
Posts: 7,978
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake View Post
You don't really need the hot water.
From another thread:

__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 06:50 AM   #19
UberGeek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)
Posts: 1,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It should work fine (The water and dish soap); as long as you dry it thoroughly. After cleaning in this manner, WD-40 for displacing the water, or a good go with a heat gun/hair dryer, and a good and thorough lubing.

However: I question the utility of completely degreasing a chain, because you'll never get grease back into all the nooks and crannies where it's needed the most.

Wiping a chain down, and re-oiling, and then re-wiping should be plenty for a chain.
UberGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 08:45 AM   #20
ahsposo 
Titanic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deep in the North Atlantic
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,072
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin man View Post
Nvm I found some paint thinner at home. Thats a mineral spirit right?
Yeah. I think a little extra refined to reduce the odor.

I pour the used mix from the device into the jar I use as the cocktail shaker. The dirt settles to the bottom. Next cleaning I'll carefully pour the mix (now gravity cleaned) into the chain cleaners solvent well. Eventually you'll collect a pretty big "heel" and need to start a new mix but a liter or a quart of the mix will last a pretty good while if your careful. If your going to use the cocktail shaker exclusively get two jars and gently pour the mix from the previously used jar to the fresh one and then wipe clean the used jar. Remember that this isn't rocket science. Perfectly clean mix isn't really necessary.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 08:46 AM   #21
ahsposo 
Titanic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deep in the North Atlantic
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,072
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberGeek View Post
It should work fine (The water and dish soap); as long as you dry it thoroughly. After cleaning in this manner, WD-40 for displacing the water, or a good go with a heat gun/hair dryer, and a good and thorough lubing.

However: I question the utility of completely degreasing a chain, because you'll never get grease back into all the nooks and crannies where it's needed the most.

Wiping a chain down, and re-oiling, and then re-wiping should be plenty for a chain.
Yeah, completely degreasing a chain is counter-productive.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.