Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member johnr783's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What I should have said vs the cyclist in me

    Been meaning to share this for a while.

    A few weeks ago I someone I knew came back in contact with me. We went out once or twice and she mentioned that she wanted to start riding. I ended up helping her find a nice used bike.

    A few days later I rode to meet her at a local eatery and have a short ride afterward. Upon arriving she said, "I forgot to bring some shoes, I had to ride in my heels. Sexy, right?"

    What I should have said was something to confirm her statement and continue flirting. I thought about it for a second and instead CHOSE to say, "Some think so." I went on to explain, that I knew it was an accident but in general I dont find riding in heels sexy because its quite impractical.

    Never saw her after that. Oh well. Maybe another year from now.
    *All that was included in this comment was meant to be read with a light-hearted demeanor. If at any point I offended anyone or presented an idea that is contradictory to what they hold to be true please consider this post to be a joke. For the sake of keeping the post free of unnecessary clutter, please reconsider any "correction" to this comment you may or may not feel compelled to post.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me guess...you're an engineer.

  3. #3
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,021
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that it was the "cyclist" in you. It is definitely something, but you don't have to be a cyclist to be one!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  4. #4
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,499
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the Asperger's in you? This coming from the guy who is still kicking himself over the time many years ago in college Spanish before class one day the hot girl I'd been trying to get together with kept telling me how her neck was sore from aikido the night before and it needed some rubbing and all I could say was that she shouldn't rub it or give it heat but right now for the pull icing it was best. Even the (gay, not that it matters) TA who came in when I was saying that looked at me like I was an idiot. I actually made it all the way back to my dorm before I reallized how badly I'd blown it.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you call her and apologize for the asshat move, ask to try the bike riding thing again.
    At least you can make amends, good excuse for another date.
    That takes a little courage, and women tend to like a man that's a man.

    As it stands, for you it's one day of 365.
    For her, you are just a tool: full stop.

    Then again, maybe she's just not that into you... please tell me you didn't wear lycra shorts...

  6. #6
    Blissketeer HokuLoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :::facepalm:::

    Funny how wee little regrets like that will linger through time. Oh those fumbling, bumbling, missed opportunities do stick with you...

    BTW, skip the apology. Just call her for another cycling date and tell her you have a set of heels ready to "level the field" or something else silly, humorous, or defusing. Most important, lighten up and let her know through word and action that you actually DO have a playful sense of humor despite previous evidence to the contrary!
    Last edited by HokuLoa; 10-17-11 at 02:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Nermal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Farmington, NM
    My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    1,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Let me guess...you're an engineer.
    +1
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

  8. #8
    Senior Member alhedges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Naptown
    My Bikes
    NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr783 View Post
    I went on to explain, that I knew it was an accident but in general I dont find riding in heels sexy because its quite impractical.
    As opposed to walking in heels...

    :-)

  9. #9
    Senior Member johnr783's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Let me guess...you're an engineer.
    Not an engineer but I met someone with a doctorate in engineering. I later found out he was quite impressed with my thinking process. Perhaps I should pursue another profession.

    Quote Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
    I doubt that it was the "cyclist" in you. It is definitely something, but you don't have to be a cyclist to be one!
    A friend of mine recently told me that I am an A*Hole with a smile.

    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    Maybe the Asperger's in you?
    Funny story, thanks for sharing. No aspergers here though.

    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserhead View Post
    Then again, maybe she's just not that into you... please tell me you didn't wear lycra shorts...
    No lycra shorts but I was wearing lycra leg and arm sleeves. It keeps me from dealing with the hassle of carrying and applying sunscreen.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    Why would you come here to share that information?

    Your problem is, you just don't know what to say to whom! - AND THAT'S BAD!!!
    I chose to share this here because I thought it was an amusing story. If it brought a smile to even one person, Im satisfied.

    I know what I should say and to whom but I CHOSE not to. See, I pride myself in my honesty. I could have lied for the "benefit" of getting another date with her but chose not to. Reason is if I told her I thought it was sexy and we went on another riding date, she may have worn heels again because "I thought it was sexy." No, instead I chose to tell the truth. I am not embarrassed, ashamed, or regretful of what I said.
    *All that was included in this comment was meant to be read with a light-hearted demeanor. If at any point I offended anyone or presented an idea that is contradictory to what they hold to be true please consider this post to be a joke. For the sake of keeping the post free of unnecessary clutter, please reconsider any "correction" to this comment you may or may not feel compelled to post.

  10. #10
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post

    BTW, skip the apology. Just call her for another cycling date and tell her you have a set of heels ready to "level the field" or something else silly, humorous, or defusing. Most important, lighten up and let her know through word and action that you actually DO have a playful sense of humor despite previous evidence to the contrary!
    ^^This.

    I'm female (and an engineer, BTW) and I can tell you that women are rather forgiving of these kinds of things, especially if you can joke about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    755
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what you're saying is, a newb rider wearing high heels dropped you on your first ride together?

  12. #12
    Senior Member shawmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Greencastle, PA
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Trek 7500
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr783 View Post
    Been meaning to share this for a while.

    A few weeks ago I someone I knew came back in contact with me. We went out once or twice and she mentioned that she wanted to start riding. I ended up helping her find a nice used bike.

    A few days later I rode to meet her at a local eatery and have a short ride afterward. Upon arriving she said, "I forgot to bring some shoes, I had to ride in my heels. Sexy, right?"

    What I should have said was something to confirm her statement and continue flirting. I thought about it for a second and instead CHOSE to say, "Some think so." I went on to explain, that I knew it was an accident but in general I dont find riding in heels sexy because its quite impractical.

    Never saw her after that. Oh well. Maybe another year from now.
    My lifestyle change journey can be found here: The Skeptical Loser

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr783 View Post
    I know what I should say and to whom but I CHOSE not to. See, I pride myself in my honesty. I could have lied for the "benefit" of getting another date with her but chose not to. Reason is if I told her I thought it was sexy and we went on another riding date, she may have worn heels again because "I thought it was sexy." No, instead I chose to tell the truth. I am not embarrassed, ashamed, or regretful of what I said.
    Dude, have you not had much experience with women?
    You are not under oath and Matlock isn't looking over your shoulder.

    You are not lying and she isn't LITERALLY saying it's sexy- It's all about making the best of the situation. Which she was trying to do but her words were an airplane flying above your head.

    Don't think about yourself or what you should say.
    Above all, think about making her feel comfortable and make sure she is having a good time.

    Lighten up and have fun.
    Good luck on the next one and don't think so hard about it.
    Everything isn't a test, just do your best to make sure she is having a good time! That always worked for me!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Mobile 155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Posts
    2,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mobile155,
    the heels reminded me of a website called 'cycle chic' all heels and style.

    johnr,
    glad you didn't wear the spandex! you still got a shot!

  16. #16
    Senior Member johnr783's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billyymc View Post
    So what you're saying is, a newb rider wearing high heels dropped you on your first ride together?
    Oh man, I lol'ed at this.

    I have had plenty of experience with women. I also apologized and showed her my light-hearted joking side. Again, I didnt want to lie. I dont think its sexy so said so. I got the hint.

    Mobile> Saw those links. Didnt to anything but make me cringe.

    What I didnt mention earlier. Last year she and I went on a date or two then she dropped me without an explanation. She then randomly sent me a text and we had a few more dates a few weeks ago. Again, she dropped me. Could be this situation or could not. She and I did text and joke a bit after the above anecdote happened, just never saw her again. Now I dont hear from her.
    *All that was included in this comment was meant to be read with a light-hearted demeanor. If at any point I offended anyone or presented an idea that is contradictory to what they hold to be true please consider this post to be a joke. For the sake of keeping the post free of unnecessary clutter, please reconsider any "correction" to this comment you may or may not feel compelled to post.

  17. #17
    Senior Member FlatSix911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    1,607
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    Very nice

    You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

  18. #18
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr783 View Post
    . ..... Last year she and I went on a date or two then she dropped me without an explanation...... She then randomly sent me a text and we had a few more dates a few weeks ago. Again, she dropped me...... ........ just never saw her again. Now I dont hear from her.

    Consider it a good omen to move on. A good long lasting relationship will often click on the first date. This is all too familiar, and leaves one constantly wondering and second guessing.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr783 View Post


    I chose to share this here because I thought it was an amusing story. If it
    brought a smile to even one person, Im satisfied.

    I know what I should say and to whom but I CHOSE not to. See, I pride myself
    in my honesty. I could have lied for the "benefit" of getting another date with
    her but chose not to. Reason is if I told her I thought it was sexy and we went
    on another riding date, she may have worn heels again because "I thought it was
    sexy." No, instead I chose to tell the truth. I am not embarrassed, ashamed,
    or regretful of what I said.

    Hi there Johnr783!

    You sound like a nice guy...

    I'm sorry! I shouldn't have judged you so quickly. You know, sometimes things happen for a reason. It was most probably best that you two never really hit it off.

    One time, I had a girl spring up on me, all of a sudden just like this girl did to you. As it turned out, she was pregnant and didn't want the boyfriend who dropped her, to be the father of her baby.

    I smelled something fishy, and had a DNA test done one day when she ordered me to babysit "MY little girl", since she had to work. Well, needless to say, the little girl was not mine!

    Move on and cut your losses, is what I say!...

    - Slim
    Last edited by SlimRider; 10-18-11 at 08:16 AM.

  20. #20
    Every lane is a bike lane Chris L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
    Posts
    9,622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr783 View Post
    What I didnt mention earlier. Last year she and I went on a date or two then she dropped me without an explanation. She then randomly sent me a text and we had a few more dates a few weeks ago. Again, she dropped me. Could be this situation or could not. She and I did text and joke a bit after the above anecdote happened, just never saw her again. Now I dont hear from her.
    I knew where this was going by about line three of the first post, and the above quote has just proven it.

    Ok, so here's what's going on. She's seeing someone else, or probably some-several else. Let me guess, you "did the right thing" and paid for all the dates you and her had when she came back into your life and then she disappeared without explanation and you sat around for ages wondering what you did wrong. You're a place-filler, and nothing more. It wouldn't have mattered what you said to her about heels or anything else, because it was already done. She comes to you when she wants money and/or food and she's not seeing anyone else at the time willing to provide it. When one of the other guys steps up to the plate, she'll disappear again. Just move on.

    This is why you never push the rewind button on relationships. In probably 99% of cases, there's a perfectly good reason it didn't work the first time around. The dignified thing to do is accept it and move on.
    "I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
    "We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
    My blog.
    My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.

  21. #21
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,512
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr783 View Post
    No lycra shorts but I was wearing lycra leg and arm sleeves. It keeps me from dealing with the hassle of carrying and applying sunscreen.

    I know what I should say and to whom but I CHOSE not to. See, I pride myself in my honesty. I could have lied for the "benefit" of getting another date with her but chose not to. Reason is if I told her I thought it was sexy and we went on another riding date, she may have worn heels again because "I thought it was sexy." No, instead I chose to tell the truth. I am not embarrassed, ashamed, or regretful of what I said.
    Speaking as a female cyclist ... you said what you should have said. Good for you.

    And there's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing cycling shorts. It's good to wear attire appropriate to the sport, especially if you're planning to do a long ride.

  22. #22
    Used & Abused
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    My Bikes
    GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shawmutt View Post

  23. #23
    Senior Member triumph.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    N Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    12 colnago clx3.0, 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record
    Posts
    1,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here ya go probably better than figuring it out by yourself or on a bike forum.

    http://www.datingadviceforums.com/

  24. #24
    Senior Member mymojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texxas
    My Bikes
    '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well someone needs to say it.




    Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
    "It's the 41. If you don't have cool stuff, you suck. If you have cool stuff, you still suck" - Velo Gator

    "The 41 reminds me more of the big brawl scene near the end of Blazing Saddles." - mprelaw

  25. #25
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    She's just trying to con you into buying her some new shoes. "Sweety, you can't ride in those, lemme take you out for some new athletic shoes", she get the new shoes, drops you then meets up with Sancho at 24 Hour Fitness for aerobic class.........and he's impressed with her new shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •