Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-11, 06:17 PM   #51
Hippiebrian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. The frame's guarenteed for life. It's a Trek, and they tend to use high quality materials. Don't like it? Don't buy one. Me? I'd trust it. I have absolutely no doubt it's chrome moly, as I really can't see Trek, espescially at this price point, using anything else. "Platinum" series is just their way of saying it and making it sound exclusive. That's all. Get over it.
Hippiebrian is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 06:22 PM   #52
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read an article and a big topic on forums back in 03 (?). MFG'ers were only allowed to place cromo lables on tubes that were actually cromo since many were using high ten stays meaning only the main triangle was cromo. Labels are usually placed on the seat tube. Wonder how many steel riders out there know what they are actually riding?
Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 06:29 PM   #53
mechBgon
Senior Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 6,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The Lane is a bicycle that has a hi-tensile steel frame. It is therefore, not favorably endowed with the technological properties that advances the cycling world of steel, today. It therefore, should not be placed in the same category with Randonee, Soma, and most certainly not the Surly LHT...OMG! I almost choked on that one!
Ironically, when I was trying to think of a bike with a similar ride quality to the Lane, the first one I thought of was, in fact, the Surly LHT. Sort of "solid" and stiff. By all means buy what you prefer, but dissing the Lane for being made of something less fancy than CrMo or heat-treated tubing (if that's actually the case) is like categorizing peoples' worth according to their skin color. IMHO.
mechBgon is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 06:32 PM   #54
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
Wow. The frame's guarenteed for life. It's a Trek, and they tend to use high quality materials. Don't like it? Don't buy one. Me? I'd trust it. I have absolutely no doubt it's chrome moly, as I really can't see Trek, espescially at this price point, using anything else. "Platinum" series is just their way of saying it and making it sound exclusive. That's all. Get over it.
No! That's the THING! ...They're all telling me that it's NOT chromoly steel!!!

- Slim

PS.

And YES! At that price point too!

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-21-11 at 06:52 PM.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 06:41 PM   #55
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Walmart bikes are beautiful, Trek bikes are Walmart bikes with higher end components, aluminum sucks, yada, yada, yada. I'm convinced, I'm getting me a Walmart bike and selling my POS Specialized aluminum excuse for a bike. I'll use those funds to outfit the Walmart bike with higher end components and basically I'll end up with a $1000 Trek CX bike for next to nothing. Who needs Trek when you have Walmart.

I never ever said that aluminum sucked!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 06:45 PM   #56
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
Ironically, when I was trying to think of a bike with a similar ride quality to the Lane, the first one I thought of was, in fact, the Surly LHT. Sort of "solid" and stiff. By all means buy what you prefer, but dissing the Lane for being made of something less fancy than CrMo or heat-treated tubing (if that's actually the case) is like categorizing peoples' worth according to their skin color. IMHO.
I'm glad you feel that way because it mirrors my sentiments too, but you're headed in the wrong direction with that one!

Remember: I'm Slim, NOT him!

- Slim
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 07:14 PM   #57
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,860
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
I read an article and a big topic on forums back in 03 (?). MFG'ers were only allowed to place cromo lables on tubes that were actually cromo since many were using high ten stays meaning only the main triangle was cromo. Labels are usually placed on the seat tube. Wonder how many steel riders out there know what they are actually riding?
I've had a few low end bikes with only 3 or 4 CrMo tubes. Their stickers indicated such in the small print saying "Main Tubes" after "CrMo", of course you need to know a little Italian to know what's going on when you get a Columbus Tretubi frame.

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 08:05 PM   #58
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Platinum Steel = classist
Alpha White/Alpha Black Aluminum = racist.

Tsk, Tsk Trek.

But hey, if it really is HiTen, at least it's butted Hi-Ten!

I reckon the price ain't so bad. LHT completes are around $1200. Trek offers some stuff, where as LHT offers other.

Trek drops the RD spec a bit but gives you sliding dropouts.
Trek raises the shifter spec a bit but gives you cheaper steel.
Hey there Lester!

I just know you're being facetious here. I mean, "raises the shifter spec a bit but gives you cheaper steel."

"Drops the RD spec a bit but gives you sliding dropouts."

Wait a minute! However, the killer of all times is...

Alpha White/Alpha Black Aluminum = Racist

What is wrong with you, man?


- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-21-11 at 08:10 PM.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 08:29 PM   #59
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,860
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Hey there Lester!

I just know you're being facetious here. I mean, "raises the shifter spec a bit but gives you cheaper steel."
Hi. You don't think that's accurate? I mean Dura Ace barends on the LHT are nice, but they retail for $80-90. A pair of 9-sp Sora goes for $140-175 generally. Of course we should probably be comparing to the Cross Check instead, but you brought up the LHT earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
"Drops the RD spec a bit but gives you sliding dropouts."
You don't think that's accurate either? Trek's totally cheesin' you out with the Tiagra RD compared to the LHT's Deore XT, oh mama!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Wait a minute! However, the killer of all times is...

Alpha White/Alpha Black Aluminum = Racist

What is wrong with you, man?
I love to bring classism and racism into bike comparos. Trek just made it too easy when they came up with Black Alpha/White Alpha.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 08:51 PM   #60
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And you know this has just got to happen


What really cracks me up here, is this possible scenario:

Enlightened Cyclist: Hey! Look! I've got a chromoly framed Motobecane bike. Its got both molybdenum and chromium added for increase durability and strength.

Fred: Hey, man! That's nothing! I've got a platinum steel bike, and it's made by Trek!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-21-11 at 10:39 PM.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 10:26 PM   #61
georgiaman
Senior Member
 
georgiaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the PSA Slim. So what material are you really promoting? Is it chrmo steel, al, or carbon fiber? You have made arguments for all three on BF.
georgiaman is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 10:32 PM   #62
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaman View Post
Thanks for the PSA Slim. So what material are you really promoting? Is it chrmo steel, al, or carbon fiber? You have made arguments for all three on BF.

I will entertain any serious question relevant to the topic. I'm not accepting troll bait at this time.

Sorry! Come back later... <Slams door in bait salesman's face>
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 10:45 PM   #63
mechBgon
Senior Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 6,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Walmart bikes differ from whatever other bikes you're referring to, primarily because of cheap and poorly installed components. Their frames are comparable to many other frames made by the big five bicycle manufacturers.


Have a firsthand look at Walmart's road bikes sometime.
mechBgon is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 10:51 PM   #64
georgiaman
Senior Member
 
georgiaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait really slim. I'm trolling? Your whole BF is experience is posting useless post to get your count near sixty fiver.
georgiaman is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 11:02 PM   #65
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaman View Post
Wait really slim. I'm trolling? Your whole BF is experience is posting useless post to get your count near sixty fiver.
What are you talking about?...I enjoy bikes. I enjoy riding bikes. I enjoy talking and writing about bikes. This is one of the best outlets for me. It's not like you can just go to a public place, meet people, and then start a dialogue about bicycles. However, here it's normal! We all like to discuss bikes. I couldn't care less about how many posts somebody makes.

What the heck is that all about?

Now get back on topic and ask me a bike question about Trek, or cyclocross, or Hi-Tensile steel, or componentries, or something. Not this nonsense about trolling and number of posts stuff!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-22-11 at 06:01 PM.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 11:41 PM   #66
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MechBgon!

What's with this weird Owl with the pancakes on top?



Now you must know that you're being waaay too funny now!!!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-22-11 at 01:49 AM.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 11:54 PM   #67
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,860
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Pancakes. Pancakes!
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 10-21-11, 11:57 PM   #68
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,860
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
Have a firsthand look at Walmart's road bikes sometime.
I paid my quarterly visit to walmart tonight and told myself if they have the clown fixie bike in stock I would buy one. Whew, I lucked out. I reckon we're too exurban out here for the local walmart to cater to the fixie crowd...



I did notice they actually had 700c x 25-32 presta valve tubes in stock, which was a nice surprise cuz they're open 24 hours. 24 hour tube access can be a godsend!!!!!
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 12:01 AM   #69
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Pancakes. Pancakes!
So what's the relevance of pancakes?

-Slim
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 12:04 AM   #70
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I paid my quarterly visit to walmart tonight and told myself if they have the clown fixie bike in stock I would buy one. Whew, I lucked out. I reckon we're too exurban out here for the local walmart to cater to the fixie crowd...


I did notice they actually had 700c x 25-32 presta valve tubes in stock, which was a nice surprise cuz they're open 24 hours. 24 hour tube access can be a godsend!!!!!
Hey! Isn't that the Hi-Tensile steel Thruster? According to Trek, its value is set at about $1500. However, if you can catch it at Walmart, they'll sell the same bike for $99.00....Go figure...

- Slim

PS.

Well, at least that fixie has brakes!

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-22-11 at 07:15 AM.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 12:14 AM   #71
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,860
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
If they'd put a little sticker that said "Platinum" on it, I'd mail order one for sure!~

In all honesty though, the Thruster almost looks like $99 of fun. I'd take it all the way apart, grease all threads, tension and true wheels, etc. and hope for the best. HT angle and big rake makes it seem like it would be a little lazy steering wise, so maybe I'd put a 23mm tire up front to liven it up a tad.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-22-11 at 12:17 AM.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 12:25 AM   #72
Arrowana
Senior Member
 
Arrowana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Premis | 2015 Cannondale Rush | A Single Speed | 1993 Giant ATX 780
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I must say your posts are interesting to read Slim, very well written, but always supporting something that makes little sense...

I think you are over reacting to this. Lets just say for a bit that the Trek is Hi-Ten steel (Even though we don't know for sure.). That really isn't something to get that worked up about if it is still a well made frame. For example, lets compare 2 similar bikes I've had this year, a 1984 Peugeot, and a 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert. The Peugeot has a Carbolite 103 frame, which is Peugeot's name for Hi-Ten steel. It weighs 25 lbs. The Centurion has a Tange #1 frame, which is fairly high end Cro-Moly. It weighs 23.5 Lbs. The Centurion also has a few parts like the tires and rims that are definitely lighter, plus being a newer bike with full Shimano 105, it's likely that other parts are lighter too. If they were built up with the same parts, I would guess the difference would be just a bit over a pound. While yes, a Cro-Moly frame bike should be lighter, most people aren't really going to notice a 1 lb difference when riding. Sure, I did keep the Centurion over the Peugeot, but if it were reversed, I'd still be happy if I was riding the Peugeot.
Arrowana is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 12:34 AM   #73
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,860
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
My Pinarello is 23 lbs. It has a pretty heavy rear wheel, seatpost and stem in it, though.

I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this Hi-Ten bike is. It has a pretty light rear wheel (suntour cyclone, Mavic 192, butted spokes) and I've removed several key components, however.


Black Baron Day 8 by Lester Of Puppets, on Flickr
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 01:17 AM   #74
SlimRider
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowana View Post
I must say your posts are interesting to read Slim, very well written, but always supporting something that makes little sense...

I think you are over reacting to this. Lets just say for a bit that the Trek is Hi-Ten steel (Even though we don't know for sure.). That really isn't something to get that worked up about if it is still a well made frame. For example, lets compare 2 similar bikes I've had this year, a 1984 Peugeot, and a 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert. The Peugeot has a Carbolite 103 frame, which is Peugeot's name for Hi-Ten steel. It weighs 25 lbs. The Centurion has a Tange #1 frame, which is fairly high end Cro-Moly. It weighs 23.5 Lbs. The Centurion also has a few parts like the tires and rims that are definitely lighter, plus being a newer bike with full Shimano 105, it's likely that other parts are lighter too. If they were built up with the same parts, I would guess the difference would be just a bit over a pound. While yes, a Cro-Moly frame bike should be lighter, most people aren't really going to notice a 1 lb difference when riding. Sure, I did keep the Centurion over the Peugeot, but if it were reversed, I'd still be happy if I was riding the Peugeot.
My goodness, Arrowana!

I thank you for the compliment. However, your argument is completely illogical, to me. I don't have any desire to purchase a Hi-Tensile steel bicycle. I want a chromoly steel bicycle. What's so difficult about comprehending that one little fact. I don't care to go back into the mindless, timeless, zone of nostalgia. I want to remain current. It's great that you had a 1984 Peugeot. It's fine that you had a 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert. Those are all noteworthy bicycles within their own right. However, since then the quality of all grades of steel has increased. The quality of all types of chromoly steel, has increased. I simply don't care to step back in time in order to make any attempt to reconcile this hoax, being perpetrated by Trek.

I hope you're not trying to say that I should still be somehow satisfied with a Hi-Tensile steel-framed bicycle due to its close proximity in mass to that of a chromoly steel-framed bicycle's mass. I hope that's not your point, because that point is irrelevant to my repeated protests. I vehemently protest the fact that the Trek website does not state clearly just exactly of what the Lane's frame is comprised. Furthermore, the website does say that the steel is of their "platinum" steel series. What does that mean?..."Platinum Series"...

Next, you'd think you would be able to call the nearest Trek dealer, in order to gain some clarity about the contents of the frame material. However, this was not the case. The salesman was absolutely stymied by the question. He momentarily excused himself, only to answer incorrectly upon returning. After several phone calls to the Trek corporation and a few more Trek dealerships, I finally got the proper answer. The frame is made of Hi-Tensile steel. Well that's a deal breaker for me. Though I would prefer a HT steel frame to other types of materials used for frames, I'm not in the market for a HT steel-framed bicycle at this time.

It's simply not on my shopping list! I don't want it!

So therefore Arrowana, if you should desire the likes of a HT steel-framed CX bike made by Trek, fine. The Lane is clearly accessible to you. However, it's not my cup of tea...

If it was, I most certainly wouldn't pay top dollar for it!

Most Respectfully,

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-22-11 at 07:25 AM.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 01:26 AM   #75
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,860
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
If you want advanced steel, stick with Reynolds 853/953 and True Temper S3. I'm sure there are others.

Surly LHT uses some fairly pedestrian tubing comparatively.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.