Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-11, 04:28 PM   #26
Monster Pete
Senior Member
 
Monster Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Warwick, UK
Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
More of an upgrade than a fix.
In that case, depending on what parts you have currently and what you want to swap to, you may need to replace very little. Going from 6 to 7 sprockets at the rear, for example, requires only a new freewheel (the wheel may need to be redished) and rear shifter. Everything else will still work fine, though it may be a good idea to replace the chain at the same time. Derailleurs generally don't care about the number of sprockets, as long as the shifter is correct- it's the shifter that really drives the gear shifting. What's currently on the bike, and what are your upgrade plans?
Monster Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 06:07 PM   #27
ChowChow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Pete View Post
In that case, depending on what parts you have currently and what you want to swap to, you may need to replace very little. Going from 6 to 7 sprockets at the rear, for example, requires only a new freewheel (the wheel may need to be redished) and rear shifter. Everything else will still work fine, though it may be a good idea to replace the chain at the same time. Derailleurs generally don't care about the number of sprockets, as long as the shifter is correct- it's the shifter that really drives the gear shifting. What's currently on the bike, and what are your upgrade plans?
The bike currently has Shimano SIS for it's components. I wanted to upgrade to Shimano Deore or SRAM X7 components.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 09:04 PM   #28
ChowChow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
If I was to do and upgrade. What set of components would be best? I was looking at Shimano Deore vs Sram X7. Both sets are around the same price. Sram X7 is on sale. Heard that Sram X7 is of better performance, but lacks in quality. Read a lot of bad reviews about Sram X7.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 09:18 PM   #29
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'
 
hybridbkrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
If I was to do and upgrade. What set of components would be best? I was looking at Shimano Deore vs Sram X7. Both sets are around the same price. Sram X7 is on sale. Heard that Sram X7 is of better performance, but lacks in quality. Read a lot of bad reviews about Sram X7.
If you to go on a tour, then maybe you'd want Shimano parts because they're generally more available. I can't comment on Sram quality but I know some people have standards way higher I think than the average person. I mean if someone says they're only satisfied with Deore LX and can't stand Acera when some people are content with Acera, it depends on how you look at it.

Me, I'd find it hard to resist not buying something on sale.
hybridbkrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 03:49 AM   #30
chandltp
Senior Member
 
chandltp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Erie, PA
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others
Posts: 1,718
I just got done spending $240 on a $350 Trek 7000. I kept thinking I could have gotten a whole new bike for not much more. But I got a stronger rear wheel and went from a freewheel to a cassette in the process. I figured I still saved money and ended up with a better bike than I would have gotten buying a replacement.
chandltp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 05:33 AM   #31
Monster Pete
Senior Member
 
Monster Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Warwick, UK
Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion
Posts: 1,048
I don't think you'll notice enough of a difference to justify the 'upgrade.' Better components really seem to be a few grams lighter and considerably more expensive. I've never had shifting problems with cheap derailleurs if set up properly.
Monster Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 02:10 PM   #32
ChowChow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Pete View Post
I don't think you'll notice enough of a difference to justify the 'upgrade.' Better components really seem to be a few grams lighter and considerably more expensive. I've never had shifting problems with cheap derailleurs if set up properly.
So from switching from Shimano SIS components with 6 speed to Shimano Deore components with 9 speed, I won't really feel a big difference? I just want to have a smoother shift and more speed.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 04:50 AM   #33
Monster Pete
Senior Member
 
Monster Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Warwick, UK
Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion
Posts: 1,048
You'll notice a difference between having 6 and 9-speed, but I doubt it will be significantly smoother. In my experience, cheap derailleurs shift just fine. More speed generally comes from a more powerful engine, not necessarily more and more gears- though they can help by allowing you to pedal in a narrower 'powerband'. If you're running out of high gears, changing the overall range of gears will help, which is best accomplished by larger front chainrings.
Monster Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 AM.