Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Is it worth it? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/778895-worth.html)

ChowChow 10-31-11 08:33 PM

Is it worth it?
 
Is it worth it to change the two derailleurs, shifters, cassette etc instead of buying a new bike for around $500? Was thinking about Shimano deore parts. Trying to save some money.

SlimRider 10-31-11 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChowChow (Post 13436983)
Is it worth it to change the two derailleurs, shifters, cassette etc instead of buying a new bike for around $500? Was thinking about Shimano deore parts. Trying to save some money.

Hey there ChowChow!

What bike are you attempting to upgrade?

- Slim :)

triumph.1 10-31-11 08:51 PM

I would think it depends at what price you can get replacement parts? Did you try google, ebay as a starting search? All of the parts you desire are out there.

Nermal 10-31-11 11:23 PM

^^^ It's also going to depend on the value of the frame and existing wheels.

CaptCarrot 11-01-11 04:08 AM

I did this to a bike of mine, while I wasn't to fussy about parts - I upgraded a 24 speed to a 27 speed because it ended up being cheaper (well marginally more expensive short term, but cheaper long term due to other parts wearing out/failing) to replace the entire drive train (chainwheels, cranks, cassette, f/r dérailleurs, chain and shifters) than to get the obsolete replacement part I needed.

It all depends on how much you value the rest of the bike, and what deals you can get on the bits - I got some very good deals of a well known auction site and a rummage (reduced price) bin in a local chain store.

Monster Pete 11-01-11 04:43 AM

Personally, I wouldn't bother unless the parts are already worn out. Chainrings tend to last a bit longer than cassettes, which in turn tend to last longer than chains. Just replace parts as they wear, unless you're looking specifically to change the setup. BTW, a derailleur will generally shift whatever number of sprockets you ask it to as long as the cable pull is compatible with that of the shifter, so there probably won't be a need to replace that even if you're changing the sprocket count.

Some good reference articles here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

Ziemas 11-01-11 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChowChow (Post 13436983)
Is it worth it to change the two derailleurs, shifters, cassette etc instead of buying a new bike for around $500? Was thinking about Shimano deore parts. Trying to save some money.

Pricepoint has a SRAM X7 build kit for $239.98. That's a hard to beat deal. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...d-Kit-2010.htm

Debusama 11-01-11 12:37 PM

What is wrong with the components you have now?

Mr. Beanz 11-01-11 01:12 PM

Is it worth it? Not even worth responding in this thread if the OP is not going to give more info or respond himself.:D

ChowChow 11-01-11 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimRider (Post 13437044)
Hey there ChowChow!

What bike are you attempting to upgrade?

- Slim :)

A super old one. Hehe

A 1987 Schwinn Sierra. The frame is crome-moly. It is still is good/fair shape.

ChowChow 11-01-11 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triumph.1 (Post 13437061)
I would think it depends at what price you can get replacement parts? Did you try google, ebay as a starting search? All of the parts you desire are out there.

Yeah I google search and saw some parts on REI etc.

ChowChow 11-01-11 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nermal (Post 13437443)
^^^ It's also going to depend on the value of the frame and existing wheels.

The frame and wheels are steel in good shape, but just that it's an old model and that it comes with 26" rims.

SlimRider 11-01-11 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChowChow (Post 13440343)
A super old one. Hehe

A 1987 Schwinn Sierra. The frame is crome-moly. It is still is good/fair shape.

Hi ChowChow!

Do you have any salvageable components?

Are you sure you need to replace all of the ones that you've listed?

- Slim :)

ChowChow 11-01-11 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster Pete (Post 13437767)
Personally, I wouldn't bother unless the parts are already worn out. Chainrings tend to last a bit longer than cassettes, which in turn tend to last longer than chains. Just replace parts as they wear, unless you're looking specifically to change the setup. BTW, a derailleur will generally shift whatever number of sprockets you ask it to as long as the cable pull is compatible with that of the shifter, so there probably won't be a need to replace that even if you're changing the sprocket count.

Some good reference articles here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

More of an upgrade than a fix.

ChowChow 11-01-11 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debusama (Post 13439669)
What is wrong with the components you have now?

I just want more speed and upgrades in components instead of buying a new bike, if I can get away with it. Being that if I can save a lot of money.

ChowChow 11-01-11 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 13439883)
Is it worth it? Not even worth responding in this thread if the OP is not going to give more info or respond himself.:D

LOL. I went to sleep, then to work. Now I'm back home and is online. :)

ChowChow 11-01-11 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimRider (Post 13440363)
Hi ChowChow!

Do you have any salvageable components?

Are you sure you need to replace all of the ones that you've listed?

- Slim :)

Well, if I upgrade some of the components. The new components may not be compatible with the old one etc. The current components on the bike are still in fair conditions.

ChowChow 11-01-11 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziemas (Post 13437780)
Pricepoint has a SRAM X7 build kit for $239.98. That's a hard to beat deal. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...d-Kit-2010.htm

That is a great price, but is Sram brand good or as good as Shimano?
How does it compare with Shimano Deore?

Sorry, but I'm still kind of new to bike components etc.

Ziemas 11-01-11 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChowChow (Post 13440416)
That is a great price, but is Sram brand good or as good as Shimano?
How does it compare with Shimano Deore?

Sorry, but I'm still kind of new to bike components etc.

A few years ago I switched from Shimano XT to SRAM X7 and preferred the shifting on the X7. Like all things others will have a differing opinion, but I really like SRAM components.

Artkansas 11-01-11 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nermal (Post 13437443)
^^^ It's also going to depend on the value of the frame and existing wheels.

And it depends on how much you love the bike for it's own sweet self.

SlimRider 11-01-11 03:04 PM

Hey there ChowChow!

If I were you, I'd dismantle the bike and have it powder-coated. Next, I'd get my wheels nice and shiny (like new). I'd replace the casette, the derailleurs, the chain, and the shifters, all at one time. If on a budget, I would wait to replace the handlebars, stem, seat, and seat post. Perhaps, one per month or so.

When you're done, it will be like new! It would have also been a lot of fun!

That's the greatest thing about chromoly, you don't have to worry about your bike pooping out on you, just after doing a bunch of upgrades! You'll essentially have a brand new bike!

- Slim :)

PS.

Go for it!

ChowChow 11-01-11 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimRider (Post 13440503)
Hey there ChowChow!

If I were you, I'd dismantle the bike and have it powder-coated. Next, I'd get my wheels nice and shiny (like new). I'd replace the casette, the derailleurs, the chain, and the shifters, all at one time. If on a budget, I would wait to replace the handlebars, stem, seat, and seat post. Perhaps, one per month or so.

When you're done, it will be like new! It would have also been a lot of fun!

That's the greatest thing about chromoly, you don't have to worry about your bike pooping out on you, just after doing a bunch of upgrades! You'll essentially have a brand new bike!

- Slim :)

PS.

Go for it!

I really like what this guy did to his 1987 Schwinn Sierra. I got the exact same one. With the same colors etc too.
http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...ra-390939.html

You'll have to scroll down a bit to see how it turned out.

SlimRider 11-01-11 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChowChow (Post 13440535)
I really like what this guy did to his 1987 Schwinn Sierra. I got the exact same one. With the same colors etc too.
http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...ra-390939.html

You'll have to scroll down a bit to see how it turned out.

That's a really nice bike, huh?

How's the paint holding up on yours?...Does it look anything close to that vintage-retro-classic Sierra we linked?

- Slim :)

ChowChow 11-01-11 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimRider (Post 13440626)
That's a really nice bike, huh?

How's the paint holding up on yours?...Does it look anything close to that vintage-retro-classic Sierra we linked?

- Slim :)

Same thing. Maybe just a little scratch here and there, but the paint is holding up pretty well.

SlimRider 11-01-11 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChowChow (Post 13440634)
Same thing. Maybe just a little scratch here and there, but the paint is holding up pretty well.

Oh Boy!!!

If I were you, I couldn't wait to get started!...Man!...Are you LUCKY!

That means you can just skip the paint-job altogether, and go straight for the upgrades....

- Slim :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 AM.