Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Is it worth it?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is it worth it?

    Is it worth it to change the two derailleurs, shifters, cassette etc instead of buying a new bike for around $500? Was thinking about Shimano deore parts. Trying to save some money.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
    Is it worth it to change the two derailleurs, shifters, cassette etc instead of buying a new bike for around $500? Was thinking about Shimano deore parts. Trying to save some money.
    Hey there ChowChow!

    What bike are you attempting to upgrade?

    - Slim

  3. #3
    Senior Member triumph.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    N Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    12 colnago clx3.0, 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record
    Posts
    1,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think it depends at what price you can get replacement parts? Did you try google, ebay as a starting search? All of the parts you desire are out there.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Nermal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Farmington, NM
    My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    1,839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ It's also going to depend on the value of the frame and existing wheels.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member CaptCarrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dorset, SW England, United Kingdom
    My Bikes
    Heavily modded Cannondale Hooligan 1 (2009) and an upgraded Raleigh Max Zero-G
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this to a bike of mine, while I wasn't to fussy about parts - I upgraded a 24 speed to a 27 speed because it ended up being cheaper (well marginally more expensive short term, but cheaper long term due to other parts wearing out/failing) to replace the entire drive train (chainwheels, cranks, cassette, f/r dérailleurs, chain and shifters) than to get the obsolete replacement part I needed.

    It all depends on how much you value the rest of the bike, and what deals you can get on the bits - I got some very good deals of a well known auction site and a rummage (reduced price) bin in a local chain store.
    Not as green as I might be cabbage looking!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Monster Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Warwick, UK
    My Bikes
    2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion
    Posts
    1,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I wouldn't bother unless the parts are already worn out. Chainrings tend to last a bit longer than cassettes, which in turn tend to last longer than chains. Just replace parts as they wear, unless you're looking specifically to change the setup. BTW, a derailleur will generally shift whatever number of sprockets you ask it to as long as the cable pull is compatible with that of the shifter, so there probably won't be a need to replace that even if you're changing the sprocket count.

    Some good reference articles here:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html
    I've got a bike, you can ride if you like it's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good- Pink Floyd, 1967

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
    Is it worth it to change the two derailleurs, shifters, cassette etc instead of buying a new bike for around $500? Was thinking about Shimano deore parts. Trying to save some money.
    Pricepoint has a SRAM X7 build kit for $239.98. That's a hard to beat deal. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...d-Kit-2010.htm

  8. #8
    Senior Member Debusama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    My Bikes
    Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.
    Posts
    681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is wrong with the components you have now?
    Cat-3 Fred

  9. #9
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is it worth it? Not even worth responding in this thread if the OP is not going to give more info or respond himself.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    Hey there ChowChow!

    What bike are you attempting to upgrade?

    - Slim
    A super old one. Hehe

    A 1987 Schwinn Sierra. The frame is crome-moly. It is still is good/fair shape.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph.1 View Post
    I would think it depends at what price you can get replacement parts? Did you try google, ebay as a starting search? All of the parts you desire are out there.
    Yeah I google search and saw some parts on REI etc.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
    ^^^ It's also going to depend on the value of the frame and existing wheels.
    The frame and wheels are steel in good shape, but just that it's an old model and that it comes with 26" rims.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
    A super old one. Hehe

    A 1987 Schwinn Sierra. The frame is crome-moly. It is still is good/fair shape.
    Hi ChowChow!

    Do you have any salvageable components?

    Are you sure you need to replace all of the ones that you've listed?

    - Slim

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Pete View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't bother unless the parts are already worn out. Chainrings tend to last a bit longer than cassettes, which in turn tend to last longer than chains. Just replace parts as they wear, unless you're looking specifically to change the setup. BTW, a derailleur will generally shift whatever number of sprockets you ask it to as long as the cable pull is compatible with that of the shifter, so there probably won't be a need to replace that even if you're changing the sprocket count.

    Some good reference articles here:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html
    More of an upgrade than a fix.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debusama View Post
    What is wrong with the components you have now?
    I just want more speed and upgrades in components instead of buying a new bike, if I can get away with it. Being that if I can save a lot of money.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Is it worth it? Not even worth responding in this thread if the OP is not going to give more info or respond himself.
    LOL. I went to sleep, then to work. Now I'm back home and is online.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    Hi ChowChow!

    Do you have any salvageable components?

    Are you sure you need to replace all of the ones that you've listed?

    - Slim
    Well, if I upgrade some of the components. The new components may not be compatible with the old one etc. The current components on the bike are still in fair conditions.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Pricepoint has a SRAM X7 build kit for $239.98. That's a hard to beat deal. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...d-Kit-2010.htm
    That is a great price, but is Sram brand good or as good as Shimano?
    How does it compare with Shimano Deore?

    Sorry, but I'm still kind of new to bike components etc.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
    That is a great price, but is Sram brand good or as good as Shimano?
    How does it compare with Shimano Deore?

    Sorry, but I'm still kind of new to bike components etc.
    A few years ago I switched from Shimano XT to SRAM X7 and preferred the shifting on the X7. Like all things others will have a differing opinion, but I really like SRAM components.

  20. #20
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,196
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
    ^^^ It's also going to depend on the value of the frame and existing wheels.
    And it depends on how much you love the bike for it's own sweet self.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there ChowChow!

    If I were you, I'd dismantle the bike and have it powder-coated. Next, I'd get my wheels nice and shiny (like new). I'd replace the casette, the derailleurs, the chain, and the shifters, all at one time. If on a budget, I would wait to replace the handlebars, stem, seat, and seat post. Perhaps, one per month or so.

    When you're done, it will be like new! It would have also been a lot of fun!

    That's the greatest thing about chromoly, you don't have to worry about your bike pooping out on you, just after doing a bunch of upgrades! You'll essentially have a brand new bike!

    - Slim

    PS.

    Go for it!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    Hey there ChowChow!

    If I were you, I'd dismantle the bike and have it powder-coated. Next, I'd get my wheels nice and shiny (like new). I'd replace the casette, the derailleurs, the chain, and the shifters, all at one time. If on a budget, I would wait to replace the handlebars, stem, seat, and seat post. Perhaps, one per month or so.

    When you're done, it will be like new! It would have also been a lot of fun!

    That's the greatest thing about chromoly, you don't have to worry about your bike pooping out on you, just after doing a bunch of upgrades! You'll essentially have a brand new bike!

    - Slim

    PS.

    Go for it!
    I really like what this guy did to his 1987 Schwinn Sierra. I got the exact same one. With the same colors etc too.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...ra-390939.html

    You'll have to scroll down a bit to see how it turned out.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
    I really like what this guy did to his 1987 Schwinn Sierra. I got the exact same one. With the same colors etc too.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...ra-390939.html

    You'll have to scroll down a bit to see how it turned out.
    That's a really nice bike, huh?

    How's the paint holding up on yours?...Does it look anything close to that vintage-retro-classic Sierra we linked?

    - Slim

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    That's a really nice bike, huh?

    How's the paint holding up on yours?...Does it look anything close to that vintage-retro-classic Sierra we linked?

    - Slim
    Same thing. Maybe just a little scratch here and there, but the paint is holding up pretty well.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
    Same thing. Maybe just a little scratch here and there, but the paint is holding up pretty well.
    Oh Boy!!!

    If I were you, I couldn't wait to get started!...Man!...Are you LUCKY!

    That means you can just skip the paint-job altogether, and go straight for the upgrades....

    - Slim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •