Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-11, 04:40 PM   #1
1989Pre
Standard Member
Thread Starter
 
1989Pre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Bikes: 1956 F. H. Grubb, 1989 Raleigh Technium road bike (all components upgraded), 2001 Raleigh M80 (all components upgraded)
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Silver Road Rim Paucity

This sounds like an easy one. All I want is a single, decent, 28H, silver rim for my road bike. I can't find one anywhere. All I see is black. Anybody have any ideas?

Paul
1989Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 05:43 PM   #2
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,398
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Sun-Ringle Assault?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 06:11 PM   #3
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/veloc...-700c-rim.html

21 mm deep. You don't mention any dimensions
Velocity Aerohead $54 at PRowheelbuilder

Kinlin same website is 22 deep/silver and only $40.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 11-04-11 at 06:32 PM.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 06:11 PM   #4
Drew Eckhardt
Senior Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
This sounds like an easy one. All I want is a single, decent, 28H, silver rim for my road bike. I can't find one anywhere. All I see is black. Anybody have any ideas?
Most Velocity and Kinlin rims come in shiny silver and 28h drillings. I've used a few Kinlin XR-300s and although the silver looked nice I wasn't happy with how tight Continental tires are (GP 4 season and Gatorskin) or how much ERD variation there is so I'd recommend something else.

For the Velocity options take your pick of depth (Aerohead/Fusion/Deep V), width (A23 is a fat Aerohead and Chukker a fat DeepV), off-center rear options (Aerohead OCR).

A lot of Mavics come in dull silver and 28h drillings. I've been using silver Open Pros for years and Reflex clinchers before that without any cracking issues although they bend easier than deeper extrusions and some people haven't been that lucky. The deeper CXP33 comes that way too.

DT swiss RR465 (double eyelet box section), RR415 (single eyelet box section) and RR585 (deep) come in dull silver. Build quality is reportedly high.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-04-11 at 06:29 PM.
Drew Eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 07:32 PM   #5
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Bikes: 7⃥ 9 road bikes
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just bought a set of 28h kinlin xr-200s (silver) from prowheelbuilder. second set of these rims.

drew echardt has got it about covered.

28h falls between vintage (32,36) and new (20,24) drillings and silver is out!

kinlins are the cheapest and dt swiss may be the most expensive.
hueyhoolihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 07:26 AM   #6
1989Pre
Standard Member
Thread Starter
 
1989Pre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Bikes: 1956 F. H. Grubb, 1989 Raleigh Technium road bike (all components upgraded), 2001 Raleigh M80 (all components upgraded)
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Drew, I didn't know the DT Swiss RR415 was available in grey. That should work nicely. I was looking at their RR465, as well, but in 28H, that is only available in white, which is pretty snazzy, actually. The RR465 is available in grey only in the 32H, though. Thanks to all of you.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
Most Velocity and Kinlin rims come in shiny silver and 28h drillings. I've used a few Kinlin XR-300s and although the silver looked nice I wasn't happy with how tight Continental tires are (GP 4 season and Gatorskin) or how much ERD variation there is so I'd recommend something else.

For the Velocity options take your pick of depth (Aerohead/Fusion/Deep V), width (A23 is a fat Aerohead and Chukker a fat DeepV), off-center rear options (Aerohead OCR).

A lot of Mavics come in dull silver and 28h drillings. I've been using silver Open Pros for years and Reflex clinchers before that without any cracking issues although they bend easier than deeper extrusions and some people haven't been that lucky. The deeper CXP33 comes that way too.

DT swiss RR465 (double eyelet box section), RR415 (single eyelet box section) and RR585 (deep) come in dull silver. Build quality is reportedly high.
1989Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 07:32 AM   #7
1989Pre
Standard Member
Thread Starter
 
1989Pre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Bikes: 1956 F. H. Grubb, 1989 Raleigh Technium road bike (all components upgraded), 2001 Raleigh M80 (all components upgraded)
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Thanks bunches, Therm! Since I have a silver Venus on the rear, the silver Assault on the front would be a close match. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I figured that since Sun was no longer making the Venus in silver, it would be the same with the Assault, so I didn't even check.

Paul
1989Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 02:43 PM   #8
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,398
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Excellent! Hope it works out for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 06:12 PM   #9
1989Pre
Standard Member
Thread Starter
 
1989Pre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Bikes: 1956 F. H. Grubb, 1989 Raleigh Technium road bike (all components upgraded), 2001 Raleigh M80 (all components upgraded)
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I decided to go with the Sun/Ringle Assault. With the Hope Pro 3 hub and DT Swiss single-butted spokes, it should rock steady. I have to admit that those DT Swiss rims are tempting, but they are twice the price of the Sun/Ringle. Velocity and KinLin I am unfamiliar with, but I'll keep them in mind.
I almost bought the Halo Aero Rage wheel in white, but thanks to you guys, I am off with a much better setup.

Paul





Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Excellent! Hope it works out for you.
1989Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 AM.