Another Local Cyclist Killed...
I don't know how many cyclists have been killed this year locally but at least 5 of them come to mind.
1) In June a woman was struck and killed riding across a parkway around 10pm.
2) Back in July a cyclist was killed. I believe he was riding on the service road of an expressway after midnight and was just out for a stroll.
3) About a month ago a cyclist was killed while crossing the road around 10pm.
4) A few days ago a young teen was killed while riding. It was 7:30 at night. The news report showed that it looked to be a busy road with cars parked on the shoulder.
5) Around 1:32am this morning a cyclist was riding in the center lane of traffic when he fell off his bike and was hit by a vehicle.
I'm sure there are plenty of accidents when cyclists are riding correctly, riding during the day and wearing the proper clothing. There is one common denominator with the above accidents. Riding at night. I'm sure it's easy to speculate that most of the riders didn't have lights or dress appropriately. Perhaps they did, I wasn't there to say otherwise.
Statistics show that Long Island ranks high in cyclist fatalities, but I wonder how many of these fatalities could be easily prevented. I'd say most of them. A little common sense goes a long way.