Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Need your help.

  1. #1
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need your help.

    Hi I am 23. started riding in March. In the middle of the riding season I had to go to the doctor because of pain when i would urinate, discharge, and frequency. They gave me an antibiotic and it seemed to clear right up.

    Now this week it came back but I caught it sooner. So the doctor told me it was prostatitis from riding my bike. I was given another round of antibiotics.

    I am considering a new seat. I have a $40 Serfas gel seat now. I am wondering what seat I should consider or what else could be done to prevent this from happening again?

    sorry if this is in the wrong section


    thanks for any help

    Zach

  2. #2
    Velocommuter Commando Sirrus Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx View Post
    Hi I am 23. started riding in March. In the middle of the riding season I had to go to the doctor because of pain when i would urinate, discharge, and frequency. They gave me an antibiotic and it seemed to clear right up.

    Now this week it came back but I caught it sooner. So the doctor told me it was prostatitis from riding my bike. I was given another round of antibiotics.

    I am considering a new seat. I have a $40 Serfas gel seat now. I am wondering what seat I should consider or what else could be done to prevent this from happening again?


    sorry if this is in the wrong section


    thanks for any help

    Zach
    Brooks.. Soft doesn't necessarily translate to good for you.. Your bum is designed for sitting on the ground, rocks, and logs therefore a hard sprung saddle will be more comfortable..
    Riding 19 Years of Specialized Sirrus Tradition.
    Live in Houston? Come to http://bicyclecommutehouston.blogspot.com/
    1988 Specialized Sirrus, 1989 Alpine Monitor Pass MTB, 2007 Specialized Sirrus 700C hybrid, 2007 Schwinn Town & Country trike, 1970 "Resto-Improved" Raleigh 20, 1970 "WIP" Raleigh 20, and 1980 "WIP" Schwinn Town & Country trike

  3. #3
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply. I bought the seat I have now just cus it was on sale. I realize that it was probably a bad choice and i am pretty clueless at what to look for with the problems I have

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,513
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the problem but what your doctor is saying sounds off to me. Antibiotics are generally prescribed to kill bacteria if you have a bacterial infection. Perhaps riding the bike is aggravating a bacterial infection, but I don't see how it could be the source of it.

  6. #6
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,553
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be from all those chicks you get by riding a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  7. #7
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    Must be from all those chicks you get by riding a bike.
    maybe

    i have been with the same girl for 5 years now. she got checked out once i stated having trouble and she was all good


    idk guys i am just going by what the doctor is telling me. I am pretty clueless on what the cause is and was just starting with the bike cus it is pretty much all i do besides work, eat, sleep.

    thanks for the replys tho.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the antibiotics help then its not from riding your bike. unless youre riding without a seat and like the military used to be...not gonna ask so dont tell
    edit: try lowering the front of your seat so its pointing down?

  9. #9
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    if the antibiotics help then its not from riding your bike. unless youre riding without a seat and like the military used to be...not gonna ask so dont tell
    edit: try lowering the front of your seat so its pointing down?
    i dont know if my seat post has any adjustment. just the rail on the seat. i will check tho. thanks

  10. #10
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grid Reference, SK
    My Bikes
    I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
    Posts
    3,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VEry few saddles cannot be adjusted... I have only ever seen a few and they were all department stor kids bikes.

    However, tilting the saddle nose-down is probably not the answer - this will result in pressure on your hands as you will have to brace yourself to keep from sliding forward. If it is a saddle problem then a different shape of saddle - set perfectly level - is more likely the answer.

    I also question the doctor who tells you that your bike seat is the problem then prescribes antibiotics... that's gonna be some damn strong antibiotics to dissolve your bike seat. Over the past few years, improperly prescribing antibiotics has been identified as a serious threat to public health. Often doctors would prescribe them just so patients would feel like they were getting something, when in actuality there was nothing the doctor could do to help.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_misuse

  11. #11
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
    VEry few saddles cannot be adjusted... I have only ever seen a few and they were all department stor kids bikes.

    However, tilting the saddle nose-down is probably not the answer - this will result in pressure on your hands as you will have to brace yourself to keep from sliding forward. If it is a saddle problem then a different shape of saddle - set perfectly level - is more likely the answer.

    I also question the doctor who tells you that your bike seat is the problem then prescribes antibiotics... that's gonna be some damn strong antibiotics to dissolve your bike seat. Over the past few years, improperly prescribing antibiotics has been identified as a serious threat to public health. Often doctors would prescribe them just so patients would feel like they were getting something, when in actuality there was nothing the doctor could do to help.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_misuse
    thanks.
    On most bikes the adjustment i am looking for is on the seat post correct? all mine has is the rail for the seat. keep in mine i have a pretty cheap bike ($400) so maybe that was one way of keeping the cost down.

    it will be no problem to get another seat post and seat if that will help but from most of the stuff i am hearing i might need to get a second opinion.
    once i get fully recovered from getting my wisdom teeth out today i think i am going to try another doctor. then maybe i will get a few answers.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to adjust the angle you use the round headset. where the bolt is, just loosen it up and you can adjust that up or down then retighten. is your seat pointed up at all or flat?

  13. #13
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is flat now. i will try some adjustment tomorrow then

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh and if you only adjust it a little down you wont slide forward. plus i just checked my new seat and it appears the nose is is actually a little higher than the rear. i have a wierd seat post that cant alter the angle. if you notice even though my bikes upright and its a flat rail the front is a bit higher but it feels fine.

    edit: sorry but the seat shot was a little to high so its harder to see but its there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got mine adjusted at a slight angle now. Hopefully i will be able to try it out tomorrow. i havent rode in 5-6 days on my trainer.

  16. #16
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grid Reference, SK
    My Bikes
    I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
    Posts
    3,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    o i have a wierd seat post that cant alter the angle.
    The seatpost in the picture does have angle adjust. There is a 6mm allen-head bolt under the seat. Loosen that bolt off and tap the nose or rear of the saddle and it should move. It is likely very coarse adjustments, though, so it might take a few adjustments/re-tightenings to get it exactly how you want it.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Ive undone that bolt. All it does is attach the seat to the post. It doesnt move but when I go to fix my flat Ill check it again just to be sure.

  18. #18
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grid Reference, SK
    My Bikes
    I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
    Posts
    3,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    Yes Ive undone that bolt. All it does is attach the seat to the post. It doesnt move but when I go to fix my flat Ill check it again just to be sure.
    I am 100% sure you can adjust angle with that post.

  19. #19
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i went to the bike shop finally today. i ended up with a new seat and i will start there. good thing is i have 90 days to try it out

    it is a serfas male RX seat
    http://www.sunandski.com/Serfas_Rx_S...=7765064559904

  20. #20
    Senior Member Pistard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Columbia County , NY.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Endura, 1977 Peugeot A08, 1973 Mercier 200
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only remedi for prostititis are antibiotics, if that dont work prostrate massage, I have suffered from that for Years, however not the past 5 Years, so I think I will get a seat without horn, I had a MTB while suffering, added this seat. Worked.
    http://www.bicycleseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

    right now I have a regular Hybrid seat, no issues. But I am looking at a road bike, so I am not sure what I am going to do...

  21. #21
    Senior Member xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistard View Post
    The only remedi for prostititis are antibiotics, if that dont work prostrate massage, I have suffered from that for Years, however not the past 5 Years, so I think I will get a seat without horn, I had a MTB while suffering, added this seat. Worked.
    http://www.bicycleseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

    right now I have a regular Hybrid seat, no issues. But I am looking at a road bike, so I am not sure what I am going to do...
    thanks for the reply. glad someone that suffers from it could chime in. does my situation sound consistent with what you have experienced?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •