Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What to do with this bike?

    I've got a '08 Schwinn LeTour. It's a Sora road bike I got for $550 at a Performance Bicycle in San Francisco. It's been twice across the continental US, ridden in the rain, broke my clavical crashing it. I use it as my do-everything, touring, commuter bike. The frame and fork are solid, but lately the components are kind of falling apart. The front derailleur got sucked into the drive train and mangled, so I have it locked into one chain ring right now. Also I checked the chain stretch yesterday at 1/8" over a 12" span. I replaced it and sure enough, the new chain skips. The headset and cables have all sorts of clicks. The bottom bracket is kept from loosening with plumbing tape on the threads. Also, I've replaced the front axle with one that has slightly larger cones, so now the bearings ride right along the inside of the race. I've been tightening down the cones repeatedly as the bearings wear in the groove.

    So now that Winter is on, I'm debating whether to get a new bike or not. I have one nicer Bianchi road bike for going on rides. I could clean and fix this one up: new bar tape, new derailleur, new casette, maybe new middle chain ring, maybe new wheels.

    Or I could sell this one with a $20 fd, probably for around $200-350 in the spring - the 30 year old 10-speeds go for $200 here- and get a new comparable bike in the $800 range. This is in Canada where bikes are more expensive. Or I could look around for a better used bike, maybe cobble together a frankenbike from the best of both.

  2. #2
    LBKA punkncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    OTP South
    Posts
    2,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you have ridden this bike no less than 16K miles and you are pondering because you "suddenly" have parts to replace due to wear?
    Perhaps, had you taken the time to repair, replace, and service items when they needed it, rather than throwing band-aids (and poor solutions for, at that) then you wouldn't be faced with this large expense all at once. Bikes, like any other form of transportation, do require that you take care of them for continued ability to do the job they were designed for.
    Sounds to me like you just need to go down to the LBS and spend a few dollars on things that should already have been taken care of...or if you are more of a DIY type (apparently) then order the correct parts and repair and replace.
    There again, you could just buy another inexpensive bike and beat it into the ground as well....
    One Foot Less

  3. #3
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the frame and fork straight? since you say you crashed while riding it.

    Drive train parts are Consumables.. they wear with use..

    Sora level of components are part of getting that bike to retail at what you paid.
    If the desire is to buy components that would have been on a pricier bike,
    Like the 105 group includes, this is the time to get them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man View Post
    I've got a '08 Schwinn LeTour. It's a Sora road bike I got for $550 at a Performance Bicycle in San Francisco. It's been twice across the continental US, ridden in the rain, broke my clavical crashing it. I use it as my do-everything, touring, commuter bike. The frame and fork are solid, but lately the components are kind of falling apart. The front derailleur got sucked into the drive train and mangled, so I have it locked into one chain ring right now. Also I checked the chain stretch yesterday at 1/8" over a 12" span. I replaced it and sure enough, the new chain skips. The headset and cables have all sorts of clicks. The bottom bracket is kept from loosening with plumbing tape on the threads. Also, I've replaced the front axle with one that has slightly larger cones, so now the bearings ride right along the inside of the race. I've been tightening down the cones repeatedly as the bearings wear in the groove.

    So now that Winter is on, I'm debating whether to get a new bike or not. I have one nicer Bianchi road bike for going on rides. I could clean and fix this one up: new bar tape, new derailleur, new casette, maybe new middle chain ring, maybe new wheels.

    Or I could sell this one with a $20 fd, probably for around $200-350 in the spring - the 30 year old 10-speeds go for $200 here- and get a new comparable bike in the $800 range. This is in Canada where bikes are more expensive. Or I could look around for a better used bike, maybe cobble together a frankenbike from the best of both.
    Okay, if bikes are so much more expensive where you live why didn't you take better care of this bike? How likely are you to take care of a new bike?
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy View Post
    Okay, if bikes are so much more expensive where you live why didn't you take better care of this bike? How likely are you to take care of a new bike?
    Other than replacing the chain earlier, what would you have suggested I do to better take care of the bike? Touring and commuting means riding in the rain. Work doesn't let me bring it inside, so if the weather is bad it has to sit outside in the rain and snow during the day.

    As things break, I fix them. The fd just broke last week, so it has just come to the point where there are a few things broken at the same time, and right at the start of winter when my mileage is going to decrease, so if ever there was a chance to consider the value of incremental repairs vs replacing the entire drive train or selling and getting a new bike, this is the time.

    As for the frame and fork, other than a few paint chips, they are fine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,303
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not unusual to need to replace drive train components on a heavily used bike. Typically I have had to replace rear cogs about every 2-3 chain replacements, alloy chain rings were on a similar time schedule, stainless lasted longer. I had noticed that he more gears you have the more often the chain needs to be replaced. For and every day commuter I went IGH many years ago, I was getting about 18,000 miles out of chain on that bike vs the 7-8,000 on the derailleur equipped bike. Fenders and chain guards go a long ways towards reducing drive train maintenance. In your case I would do a cost analysis then decide if you want to buy a new bike and keep the old as a backup. I found that even with a extremely dependable 3 speed as my main commuter, having the 15 speed as a back up bike wasn't a bad thing.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  7. #7
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man View Post
    Other than replacing the chain earlier, what would you have suggested I do to better take care of the bike? Touring and commuting means riding in the rain. Work doesn't let me bring it inside, so if the weather is bad it has to sit outside in the rain and snow during the day.

    As things break, I fix them. The fd just broke last week, so it has just come to the point where there are a few things broken at the same time, and right at the start of winter when my mileage is going to decrease, so if ever there was a chance to consider the value of incremental repairs vs replacing the entire drive train or selling and getting a new bike, this is the time.

    As for the frame and fork, other than a few paint chips, they are fine.
    Proper Preventative Maintenance

    Clean and replace the chain
    Clean and replace the rear cassette
    Clean and replace the bearings
    Replace the cables as they become stretched
    Wash the bike monthly

    There are a "ton" of "little" things that one can do to maintain and prolong the life of a bike.
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    It is not unusual to need to replace drive train components on a heavily used bike. Typically I have had to replace rear cogs about every 2-3 chain replacements, alloy chain rings were on a similar time schedule, stainless lasted longer. I had noticed that he more gears you have the more often the chain needs to be replaced. For and every day commuter I went IGH many years ago, I was getting about 18,000 miles out of chain on that bike vs the 7-8,000 on the derailleur equipped bike. Fenders and chain guards go a long ways towards reducing drive train maintenance. In your case I would do a cost analysis then decide if you want to buy a new bike and keep the old as a backup. I found that even with a extremely dependable 3 speed as my main commuter, having the 15 speed as a back up bike wasn't a bad thing.

    Aaron
    Agreed, the drivetrain, cables, tires/tubes, brake pads, etc. are parts that I expect to have to replace periodically.
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mobile 155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Posts
    2,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what to say dude. With that discription you might want to set the frame aside and use it for a build some other time. I have done that with an old aluminum frame. A new bike would seem to be in order and maybe you might drive over the border and get a better deal on a new bike or a used bike with 105s or better. I like SRAM so Apex or better.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mymojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texxas
    My Bikes
    '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you like the bike?

    If it fits well - and I assume it does if you ride it that much - why not just keep it as a project build bike. Slowly over the winter upgrade some of the parts to Tiagra or 105. Since you said you have a better bike anyway.
    "It's the 41. If you don't have cool stuff, you suck. If you have cool stuff, you still suck" - Velo Gator

    "The 41 reminds me more of the big brawl scene near the end of Blazing Saddles." - mprelaw

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tahlequah, Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    1991 Schwinn Paramount Series 5 2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29'r
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like the bike, renew the drivetrain. If you don't like it enough to invest more dollars into it, then divorce yourself from it and move on.

    Simple, eh?

    But hey, what do I know? My mount is 20 years old and still goin' strong... I like it enough to fix what wears or breaks and keep on riding it.

    J.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say, sell the old bike immediately and upgrade to the Jamis Satellite Comp.

    - Slim

  13. #13
    Resident smartass. Fargo Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get a mechanic to look it over and get their opinion and take it from there. It's getting up there in miles but, sounds like the frame is in good shape. Probably due for a major overhaul.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •