Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   SpyBike GPS Tracker: any point? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/799688-spybike-gps-tracker-any-point.html)

Syscrush 02-19-12 10:45 AM

SpyBike GPS Tracker: any point?
 
My wife's bike was stolen recently, from our access-controlled garage where it was locked up into a special rack with a U-lock and cable. Between the 2 of us, this is the 3rd bike we've had stolen over the last 6-7 years. Doing a bit of research, I came across the SpyBike GPS tracking device.

The price isn't that bad, looks like cheap insurance. But I'm extremely skeptical about how useful it would be, for the following reasons:

1) Cell service in our underground garage is pretty terrible. If someone took our bikes down there and threw them into a truck, I don't know how far they'd go before we actually got tracking info from the thing.

2) It is a pretty stealthy device, but even so I suspect that if I know about these things, so do thieves by now. It would be easily defeated by removing it and taking the bike.

3) Even if you do get good tracking information, what do you do then? If I call the cops in Toronto and tell them that I know to within 10m where my stolen bike is, are they even going to care? Are they going to do anything about it?

Looigi 02-19-12 11:13 AM

IMO:

1) They'll take the bike and go, but their track underway and hopefully where the bike eventually winds up will be transmitted.
2) Doubt most crooks will know of it or think to look for it.
3) Police can't afford to put time and effort into investigating stolen items like bikes, but if you can tell them where it is they'll almost certainly go and make the collar so they can take credit for solving a crime. Plus they like the opportunity to confront miscreants.

Syscrush 02-20-12 08:17 AM

Thanks. I've been looking for reviews online, but have come up empty so far.

DntWorryB.Happy 08-02-12 05:46 AM

Did you ever get this? im interested in GPS for my bike.

Syscrush 08-02-12 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DntWorryB.Happy (Post 14557303)
Did you ever get this? im interested in GPS for my bike.

No, I didn't. I couldn't find any real reviews of it and I think that keeping it charged up would be a pain. Still interested in it, though.

ratdog 08-02-12 08:57 AM

So what happens if a bike is stolen and held in a deep basement for 2 weeks? The batteries would probably die by then making the whole system non-functional and just dead weight on the bike. It's not that hard to beat.

Syscrush 08-02-12 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdog (Post 14557940)
So what happens if a bike is stolen and held in a deep basement for 2 weeks? The batteries would probably die by then making the whole system non-functional and just dead weight on the bike. It's not that hard to beat.

That kind of thing was my concern.

DntWorryB.Happy 08-02-12 11:26 AM

I mean, if its stolen you get notified immediately. You'll know the vicinity of its last location before the blackout.

Basements and tall buildings arent an issue for me since i live in Memphis.

But nothing is perfect....just want peace of mind.

FrancisK 08-30-12 11:12 AM

@ratdog: I had the same questions and was asking the guys from www.spybike-gps.com . Apparently the tracker goes into a kind of standby mode if it doesn't have any GPS signal. Wakes only up every 6 hours (configurable) and checks, if still no signal, falls into sleepmode again. They say that the battery lasts for up to 3 months and you get an SMS if voltage drops below a certain critical point

Syscrush 08-30-12 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancisK (Post 14672273)
@ratdog: I had the same questions and was asking the guys from www.spybike-gps.com . Apparently the tracker goes into a kind of standby mode if it doesn't have any GPS signal. Wakes only up every 6 hours (configurable) and checks, if still no signal, falls into sleepmode again. They say that the battery lasts for up to 3 months and you get an SMS if voltage drops below a certain critical point

Are you planning to get one?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.