Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can I use Mtb Spd shoes with platform pedals ?

    Hi !

    I have an extra pair of Sh-Mt33l Shimano spd shoes. Is it ok if I use it for platform pedals. I use one pair of shoes + cleats with my road bike. I wanted to use the other pair for my commuter( platform pedals). My main concern is, would the platform pedals spoil or damage the sole of the Shimano shoes. Image is as under.product_455372_15039.jpg

  2. #2
    Don from Austin Texas
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Posts
    1,165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    Hi !

    I have an extra pair of Sh-Mt33l Shimano spd shoes. Is it ok if I use it for platform pedals. I use one pair of shoes + cleats with my road bike. I wanted to use the other pair for my commuter( platform pedals). My main concern is, would the platform pedals spoil or damage the sole of the Shimano shoes. Image is as under.product_455372_15039.jpg
    I ride platform pedals exclusively. Why would you not wear regular shoes when pedaling on platforms?

    Don in Austin

  3. #3
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,650
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walking on them will do more "damage" to the soles than platform pedals.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  4. #4
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,745
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I will do a 20 mile or so spin on my baby seat having/round town bike with the kid. I always wear MTB shoes. My feet are happier with the stiffer sole.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,745
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    I ride platform pedals exclusively. Why would you not wear regular shoes when pedaling on platforms?

    Don in Austin
    Because cycling shoes were made for cycling?

    All smartassery aside, long distance, fairly high effort rides go better for me with stiffer soles.

  6. #6
    Senior Member shouldberiding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    '08 Trek 7.3FX
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, the more rigid rubber sole of a MTB shoe isn't going to grip platform pedals as well as a street shoe will. Don't be surprised if they're downright slippery even when dry. Don't even think about getting caught in the rain.

    If your commute is long enough that you're thinking you need shoes with more rigid soles, it's long enough to justify SPD pedals. I would advise you to get another set of SPD pedals for your commuter, maybe ones that have a platform on one side and SPD on the other so you can still ride that bike in street shoes.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replying !

    I used to ride in normal sport shoes, and realized that the soft sole, would get gouged with the alloy pedals. And the shoe or floaters would get damaged. Recently i started riding with spd cleats and the experience was amazing, but after a couple of falls, realized that for city commutes platform pedals would be ok. My commute is about an hour one way, and lots of stop and go's. I would not be wearing these shoes at work or for any walking. These will be exclusively for cycling. My main concern is the sole should not get damaged due to my alloy toothy pedals.

  8. #8
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling shoes have a firmer sole than sports shoes and this is ideal for cycling. Providing you don't fit the cleats then MTB shoes will be perfect for use on Platform pedals. And work it out--Unless you are paying for high end SPD shoes- they are probably cheaper than a pair of Nikes and give better efficiency than a softer soled sports shoe. You would damage the sole of the sports shoes well before the MTB soles.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    40,138
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean without putting the cleat in them?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    You mean without putting the cleat in them?
    Yes without the cleats !
    And thank you all for the replies, now I can make good use of my second pair.
    take care

  11. #11
    Senior Member IthaDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    My Bikes
    Click on the #YOLO
    Posts
    4,655
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    Thanks for replying !

    I used to ride in normal sport shoes, and realized that the soft sole, would get gouged with the alloy pedals. And the shoe or floaters would get damaged. Recently i started riding with spd cleats and the experience was amazing, but after a couple of falls, realized that for city commutes platform pedals would be ok. My commute is about an hour one way, and lots of stop and go's. I would not be wearing these shoes at work or for any walking. These will be exclusively for cycling. My main concern is the sole should not get damaged due to my alloy toothy pedals.
    I picked up a pair of plastic odyssey platforms. I think they were $15. They're great for a commuter, so cheap they're pretty much disposable, and not nearly as sharp as metal platforms while still providing the solid platform and enough grip that I don't think about them.

    Might be worth checking out.

    Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •