Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Funny Buyer

  1. #1
    Senior Member WickedThump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Kona JTS Frankenbike
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Funny Buyer

    I was selling a Crossroads frame to a fixie guy, and the buyer indicated his Mom was coming to pick it up. It was already paid for via PayPal, and I had it in my living room. Also in my living room is another bike I'm building as well as a bike I'm stripping parts from. Bike parts everywhere.
    So the Mom shows up, I invite her in and offer to carry the frame to her car. She asks where the rest of the bike is, and I explain the other parts will be used or sold. As an example I tell her the wheels from the Crossoads are being used for the bike I'm building. This is the response: "But those parts belong to this bike! That's not right!" and begins crying.
    Fortunately my gf was there and took the lady outside to talk her down, while I called her son and explained what had transpired. She came back and took the frame, but not before giving me a dirty look like I was an organ thief.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kjmillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Displaced Texan
    My Bikes
    1984 Raliegh Wyoming, 1978 Schwinn Traveller, 2011 Wheeler Trekking Lite 3600
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the guy did not fully explain to his clueless mom what she was picking up, or she knew what was going on and was trying to con you.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"......yea, right!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time either insist that the person that you sell to comes to pick up what they've purchased, or print out any and all e-mails so that it is clear what the person knows what it is that they are picking up.
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel sorry for the poor guy who has to be her son. She seems like she had no clue. Crying instead of asking questions? Sheesh. You should have had her talk to her son on the phone.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  5. #5
    Senior Member JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Munising, Michigan, USA
    My Bikes
    Hifi 29er, Stumpy 29er, Rockhopper 29er, ...
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedThump View Post
    So the Mom shows up, I invite her in and offer to carry the frame to her car. She asks where the rest of the bike is, and I explain the other parts will be used or sold. As an example I tell her the wheels from the Crossoads are being used for the bike I'm building. This is the response: "But those parts belong to this bike! That's not right!" and begins crying....She came back and took the frame, but not before giving me a dirty look like I was an organ thief.
    Non-cyclists don't necessarily understand. To them, a bike is a single unit. To us it's a collection of parts to be used like Lego bricks.

    Just chalk up the event as one of those experiences that gives you a good story to share over a beer.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Flying Merkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Costa Mesa CA
    Posts
    2,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Non-cyclists don't necessarily understand. To them, a bike is a single unit. To us it's a collection of parts to be used like Lego bricks.............
    Bingo. Often have I heard "My bike's broken; it has a flat".

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedThump View Post
    I was selling a Crossroads frame to a fixie guy, and the buyer indicated his Mom was coming to pick it up. It was already paid for via PayPal, and I had it in my living room. Also in my living room is another bike I'm building as well as a bike I'm stripping parts from. Bike parts everywhere.
    So the Mom shows up, I invite her in and offer to carry the frame to her car. She asks where the rest of the bike is, and I explain the other parts will be used or sold. As an example I tell her the wheels from the Crossoads are being used for the bike I'm building. This is the response: "But those parts belong to this bike! That's not right!" and begins crying.
    Fortunately my gf was there and took the lady outside to talk her down, while I called her son and explained what had transpired. She came back and took the frame, but not before giving me a dirty look like I was an organ thief.





  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    My Bikes
    Unidentifiable CX-based franken-commuter
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this disconnect a lot at the community shop where I volunteer. People come in asking "Do you have replacement gears for my Mongoose" or "Do you have a handlebar thing (stem?) for a Trek?" A lot of people think bikes are like cars or consumer appliances, where every part is unique to the unit/brand. In reality bikes tend to be horizontally interchangeable; parts are the same across similar models/niches of different brands and less so between different types of bikes in a single brand. This modularity is part of the magic of bikes for me; there's a few different mechanisms that work pretty much the same across all bikes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member clydeosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people think bikes are like cars or consumer appliances, where every part is unique to the unit/brand.
    Not to pick here, but you are displaying the same negligence about cars / appliances that people do about bikes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    My Bikes
    Unidentifiable CX-based franken-commuter
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're probably right. Now I'm curious to go see if my Maytag washer has a GE motor and a Panasonic power supply.

  11. #11
    Senior Member cyclist2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Up
    My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Posts
    2,692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A10K View Post
    You're probably right. Now I'm curious to go see if my Maytag washer has a GE motor and a Panasonic power supply.
    But some brands of vehicles use other manufactures engines. Ford owns the Range Rover brand and they were using BMW engines for a while.
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

  12. #12
    Senior Member WickedThump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Kona JTS Frankenbike
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A10K View Post
    I find this disconnect a lot at the community shop where I volunteer. People come in asking "Do you have replacement gears for my Mongoose" or "Do you have a handlebar thing (stem?) for a Trek?" A lot of people think bikes are like cars or consumer appliances, where every part is unique to the unit/brand. In reality bikes tend to be horizontally interchangeable; parts are the same across similar models/niches of different brands and less so between different types of bikes in a single brand. This modularity is part of the magic of bikes for me; there's a few different mechanisms that work pretty much the same across all bikes.
    Exactly. A bike is a work in progress. A new bike is merely a foundation for the rider to build upon. etc..

  13. #13
    Senior Member WickedThump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Kona JTS Frankenbike
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1penguin View Post
    I feel sorry for the poor guy who has to be her son. She seems like she had no clue. Crying instead of asking questions? Sheesh. You should have had her talk to her son on the phone.
    That lady, in her young life, may have been accosted by ruffians who stole her bike parts, leaving her crying over a bare frame.

  14. #14
    Senior Member thcri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North of Mayo Clinic Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have never left her in your house.
    Trek 820
    2011 Madone 6.2 H2 Rage Red
    Trek 2012 2.1
    Saris Power Tap Pro

  15. #15
    Senior Member WickedThump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Kona JTS Frankenbike
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thcri View Post
    Should have never left her in your house.
    What?

  16. #16
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,525
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So he sends his mom to a total strangers house, alone?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  17. #17
    Senior Member WickedThump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Kona JTS Frankenbike
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeosaur View Post
    Not to pick here, but you are displaying the same negligence about cars / appliances that people do about bikes.
    Some appliance parts are brand specific, electric burner elements and drip pans for instance, which are consumer replaceable.

  18. #18
    Senior Member WickedThump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Kona JTS Frankenbike
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
    So he sends his mom to a total strangers house, alone?
    Not total strangers. The buyer had been by with his gf, (friend of my daughter, who I've known a long time), a few months ago when I had been trying to sell the Crossroads as a complete bike. I try to sell extras on the "friend network" before going to CL and that's how this deal came about.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the point of getting into the whole story about what bike the parts came off of, what you were going to do with them. Why didn't you just say "Oh, he's just buying the frame from me - that other stuff isn't for sale".

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Xiamen, Fujian, China
    My Bikes
    yishun bike
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    What was the point of getting into the whole story about what bike the parts came off of, what you were going to do with them. Why didn't you just say "Oh, he's just buying the frame from me - that other stuff isn't for sale".
    +1 so funny story, i have never saw a women like this buyer's mother

  21. #21
    Senior Member clydeosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some appliance parts are brand specific, electric burner elements and drip pans for instance, which are consumer replaceable.
    Absolutely. Some parts are, same as cars, bikes, etc....

  22. #22
    Senior Member WickedThump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Kona JTS Frankenbike
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    What was the point of getting into the whole story about what bike the parts came off of, what you were going to do with them. Why didn't you just say "Oh, he's just buying the frame from me - that other stuff isn't for sale".
    I don't know. I must have been in a chatty mood.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •