Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: call me "slow"

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Redding, CA.
    My Bikes
    Giant trance II MTB, Centurion Accordo
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    call me "slow"

    Well I buy every thing from my LBS. Last night I went to Walmart to get a few items and a very cheap rain coat for my commute I bought the Coleman brand it felt like a wind breaker. But any ways so I am by the bike section and needed some tire levers and figured I would have to buy the whole kit which ain't no biggie. But man when I got over to the section I was SHOCKED! WHAT A SELECTION TO CHOOSE FROM. there were tires made by Hutchison. Never heard of them. Walmart had just as much stuff as my LBS. And stuff I I never saw at the LBS. The last time I looked at their bike stuff (have which has been a few years) they only had little selection and junk. At least stuff I would not put in a $1800.00 MTB. I HAVE NOTICED, IMO... that Bell have came up in their quality to. Kardar2

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,440
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please delete one of your posts

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Redding, CA.
    My Bikes
    Giant trance II MTB, Centurion Accordo
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried I am on a smart phone can't find that option that's why a I deleted the main body of the post and wrote what I did. Sorry

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,440
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, didn't read the other one

  5. #5
    Crispy Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Open the Bag and Eat Me.
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,383
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. You're "slow".
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  6. #6
    Raleigh Superbe miles.lowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cleburne, TX
    My Bikes
    1974 Raleigh Superbe, Roadmaster Mountain Sport Mountain Bike
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live Wal-Mart is the LBS. We had one but they went out of business (I think that being closed on Saturdays hurt).

  7. #7
    Dane silvercreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walmart's come in handy especially when you don't have a LBS. Problem is. I can't find much for my vintage bikes at Wally-World.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/20832064@N03/sets/

    1976 Takara Grand Touring
    1976 Raleigh Technium
    1976 Raleigh Sports
    1978 Schwinn Paramount P13-9
    1998 Raleigh SC30
    1954 Schwinn Jaguar
    1954 Schwinn Phantom

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa
    Posts
    564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that walmart has some items that are as good as the stuff at lbs for example I doubt there is a huge quality difference in tubes, tire levers, seatbags, chain cleaners. As for how much cheaper these are at walmart I don't know but I figure if your already there I don't see the need to make another trip to the lbs for a tube or other minor thing.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a happy Walmart shopper. At one time I was thinking of proposing a 'frugal forum' where people could discuss Walmart's bike stuff without the rich kids stopping by to sneer.

    I'm not serious about that and don't care enough to type out a post for the idea. It just seems odd to me that people hate it for reasons that I can't understand.
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mobile 155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Posts
    2,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo734 View Post
    I think that walmart has some items that are as good as the stuff at lbs for example I doubt there is a huge quality difference in tubes, tire levers, seatbags, chain cleaners. As for how much cheaper these are at walmart I don't know but I figure if your already there I don't see the need to make another trip to the lbs for a tube or other minor thing.
    Tubes can be a bit less expensive at Wally world. Not many in 48mm or longer however so if you need a long valve stem you are more than likely out of luck. Patch kits tire levers are close. Tires tend to be like OEM tires on cars, bought at a price point even if they are made by the big companies. Ok tires but nothing more. Floor pumps are OK. Helmets can be a bit heavier than at a LBS but their kid stuff is OK. Gloves are on the lower end of the scale but they will work for a season. Sometimes they sell CO-2s at a good price but most often they are 12 gram. I don't know if they sell jerseys and shorts or not. Their bikes are bottom feeders, at least in my area. Hand pumps are low grade but at least they sell them. Very limited Chain selection. They do sell slime and slime tubes. But I have heard Wally was looking into upgrading their bike section.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

  11. #11
    Raleigh Superbe miles.lowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cleburne, TX
    My Bikes
    1974 Raleigh Superbe, Roadmaster Mountain Sport Mountain Bike
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    Walmart's come in handy especially when you don't have a LBS. Problem is. I can't find much for my vintage bikes at Wally-World.
    I found a nice saddle for my '74 Raleigh there. Of course I didn't like the quality so I went to my LBS (before they went out of business) and had them order me a similar looking one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    Tubes can be a bit less expensive at Wally world. Not many in 48mm or longer however so if you need a long valve stem you are more than likely out of luck. Patch kits tire levers are close. Tires tend to be like OEM tires on cars, bought at a price point even if they are made by the big companies. Ok tires but nothing more. Floor pumps are OK. Helmets can be a bit heavier than at a LBS but their kid stuff is OK. Gloves are on the lower end of the scale but they will work for a season. Sometimes they sell CO-2s at a good price but most often they are 12 gram. I don't know if they sell jerseys and shorts or not. Their bikes are bottom feeders, at least in my area. Hand pumps are low grade but at least they sell them. Very limited Chain selection. They do sell slime and slime tubes. But I have heard Wally was looking into upgrading their bike section.
    They sell shorts on their web site, I can't speak to the quality but they have them

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •