Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another rescue, but this time a recycling junkyard save
Yeah, I know, its only a Diamondback Outlook mountain bike but still, its next step in its life was the crusher and then to be melted down.
Yesterday morning, I got up and was getting ready to do my normal fun things which include going to the bike coop and doing a bunch of work there.
While I was driving to the humane society near my house to donate a couple of large cases of puppy pads, I saw that the local recycling center was selling their "good stuff" at their junk sale.
I went in there and looked around. At the front building where they were displaying the good stuff, they had a few crap bikes, Magnas, Next, and a couple of other junkers. Pass.
They said that they had more bikes in the yard and to go look there.
I following the guys instructions and ended up in the recycling area where they sort by metals to be melted down. In the middle of all the junk was a rather forlorn looking Diamondback Outlook frame. I ended up buying the frame, a front alloy mtb wheel/tire, and a rear alloy wheel/tire with a 7 speed freehub (shimano) all for 8 dollars.
The frame was bare except that the fork was still attached. Not even a BB present. Brought the frame to the coop and rebuilt it using a bunch of parts. Got the shifters/crankset/cantilever brakes from a bike that was being stripped down since it had been badly repainted and looked nasty. Used good cables from the used bucket except for the rear derailleur cable which was new. Found a bunch of used housing and cut them up for my bike. I used an Exage 300 long cage rear derailleur and a Deore LX front derailleur (top pull, this bike does all top pull cables). I used a spare used chain but I still think I need to replace it. Found a seatpost, pedals, stem, and handlebar at the coop. I had a seat from a Specialized so used that. I found a really clean cup/ball bottom bracket and used that. I rebuilt the pedals with new grease and cleaned the balls.
I then put it together yesterday and today. SOoo much fun putting a bike that was destined to the crusher back to life. I ended up having enough work credit at the coop so I didn't have to pay for any of the parts or time. However I did donate 10 dollars anyway.
Now for the pics. Don't expect a lot, this is bascially put together from discarded parts but I'm pretty happy. I have NOT cleaned the wheels yet, that is next on my todo list.