The thread about the fastest I've been on the bike got me thinking.
Is there such thing as body protection directed at bicyclists? Road bicyclists, more specifically? Something that's not too conspicuous, does not weigh a ton, can be worn when it's 80 F and I'm sweating, and ends up helpful if I go down at 30 mph?
I'm thinking along these lines:
- A long(er)-sleeve kevlar jersey with extra padding in the elbows and shoulders. (Motorcyclists actually get these.)
- Gloves that would be guaranteed not to be ripped to shreds on contact with pavement after a 30 mph crash.
- Shorts extending below knees, with kevlar padding over the knees
- (Optional) Back protector.
- (Really optional) Head airbag.