Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-12, 01:50 PM   #1
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
Thread Starter
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What other cyclist think of clipless pedals

Many here know that I'm dead set against clipless pedals for use on the street. I firmly believe they present a real and present danger to the cyclist and those around hit/her when clipped in.

So I thought it might be interesting to go out on the net to gather others opinion of clipless.

For better or worse here is a random sample of what I found......
http://www.bikejames.com/strength/fl...ont-let-it-go/

http://www.quality-cycling-gear.com/cyclingpedals.html

http://fmyinjury.com/2011/04/21/bewa...rous-at-first/

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...o-ride-a-bike/

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/view...php?p=15764012

http://ask.metafilter.com/192924/Ive...I-Cant-Get-Out

"Gardai Sergeant Donal Prendergast, who attended the accident, noted that Mr Thackaberry was not wearing a helmet and also said the fact that he was wearing cycling shoes with clipless pedals may have contributed to the accident, saying, “I would believe he wasn’t able to get them [his feet] out quick enough. I believe it was a contributory factor.”
http://road.cc/content/news/31059-ir...-inquest-hears
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:07 PM   #2
curdog
Senior Member
 
curdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nags Head NC
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PSA or argument starter?
curdog is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:11 PM   #3
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Sometimes there's more than one way to do the same thing.
Pump a flat tube w/ a frame pump or CO2's, spandex shorts vs gym shorts vs. mountain bike shorts;
and on and on and on. You can have an opinion on any subject, just don't get into a tiffy if other folks
disagree with you. For me; I don't really care if somebody rides w/ toe clips, flat pedals, clipless, etc.
I'm just glad they're out there riding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyXx...0&feature=plcp
__________________
I'm not a boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znNx...aIoDLA&index=1
1nterceptor is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:29 PM   #4
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdog View Post
PSA or argument starter?
Three guesses and the first two don't count.

He's on a crusade. It's pointless to engage him. It's like engaging SlimRider on the steel vs. aluminum vs carbon issue.

This is why most reasonable people don't argue over religion or politics---it's a waste of time/breath/bandwidth to argue with a zealot or ideologue.
mprelaw is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:36 PM   #5
gecho
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Bikes: 2009 Trek 520
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
"Gardai Sergeant Donal Prendergast, who attended the accident, noted that Mr Thackaberry was not wearing a helmet and also said the fact that he was wearing cycling shoes with clipless pedals may have contributed to the accident, saying, “I would believe he wasn’t able to get them [his feet] out quick enough. I believe it was a contributory factor.”
So had he not been clipped he'd be able to pull off some Spider-Man like feat of acrobatics to avoid the car?
gecho is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:38 PM   #6
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 34,104
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
If you don't like clipless pedals, don't use them. I disagree, but I am only speaking for myself. I feel safer when I am well connected to my bike. I have no data other than my own experience.

I imagine most if not all the cliplessphobes never used old fashioned clips and straps. Clipless is easy-peasy in contrast.
caloso is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:41 PM   #7
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur
 
GiantDefyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Orleans, USA.
Bikes: Giant Defy 3
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho View Post
So had he not been clipped he'd be able to pull off some Spider-Man like feat of acrobatics to avoid the car?
Well, we'll never know now! Poor guy was killed by his shoes before he even had the chance to try to use some of his sweet acrobat skillz!
GiantDefyGuy is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:45 PM   #8
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Foot-retention: dangerous because you might not unclip fast enough, if you're new to them
No foot-retention: dangerous because your feet could slip off the pedals causing your soft parts to hit the top tube

Bah, whatever. Ride what you want. I've had both of the experiences above.
dcrowell is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:46 PM   #9
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur
 
GiantDefyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Orleans, USA.
Bikes: Giant Defy 3
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you don't use clipless pedals, then you need another reason besides "they're dangerous for everyone around!"

If you're too scared or uncoordinated to use them, that's fine, but you can't then say it's because they're too dangerous. People can make that same argument about actual bicycles!

I can actually argue that they're safer because they keep your feet from flying off the pedals when you hit something unexpectedly.
GiantDefyGuy is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:50 PM   #10
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 34,104
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantDefyGuy View Post
If you don't use clipless pedals, then you need another reason besides "they're dangerous for everyone around!"

If you're too scared or uncoordinated to use them, that's fine, but you can't then say it's because they're too dangerous. People can make that same argument about actual bicycles!

I can actually argue that they're safer because they keep your feet from flying off the pedals when you hit something unexpectedly.
Agreed. That a thing may be dangerous for you does not mean it is dangerous or even difficult for another.
caloso is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 02:53 PM   #11
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 7,699
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
I can release a clipless pedal a HELL of a lot faster than clips&straps.

Back when I was using clips&straps I had some nasty twisting falls that locked my foot into the pedal.
These would have automatically released with clipless.
I watched a guy do one of these a year ago on a dirt mtn road.
He went down in a corner with his leg twisted up and was screaming for his buddies to detach the bike from him.
Shimagnolo is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:02 PM   #12
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I blame platform pedals for everything wrong in this world. Prove me wrong. I dare you.
DataJunkie is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:05 PM   #13
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious
 
contango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
"Gardai Sergeant Donal Prendergast, who attended the accident, noted that Mr Thackaberry was not wearing a helmet and also said the fact that he was wearing cycling shoes with clipless pedals may have contributed to the accident, saying, “I would believe he wasn’t able to get them [his feet] out quick enough. I believe it was a contributory factor.”
http://road.cc/content/news/31059-ir...-inquest-hears

I have zero experience of any form of pedals other than flat ones but really dislike people speculating what might have been a contributory factor as there's usually some form of agenda there. Had the cyclist not been cycling at all he wouldn't have had the accident but we don't consider staying off the bike to be a sensible response to that potential hazard.
__________________
"For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"
contango is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:26 PM   #14
dehoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Bikes:
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
I blame platform pedals for everything wrong in this world. Prove me wrong. I dare you.

In all honesty, bikes with platform pedals are involved in the vast majority of bicycle related accidents. Therefore, they are a much greater risk for being seriously injured. Not to mention the platform pedal problem of slipping a pedal and the resulting nutbuster or bleeding shins (which may become infected and require amputation, or could even cause death).
dehoff is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:33 PM   #15
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One has to consider that the OP regards a Worksman to be the ideal bike. I think we can take it that he is not an "early adopter" when it comes to new ideas.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:58 PM   #16
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 14,108
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
I hear riding bikes in the street is dangerous, period.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 04:33 PM   #17
IthaDan 
Senior Member
 
IthaDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Bikes: Click on the #YOLO
Posts: 4,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I wish they made electrically actuated clipless pedals. I have an empty socket in the powerstrip at my desk which must mean I don't have enough things to charge.
__________________

Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang
IthaDan is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 04:41 PM   #18
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There's a reason some people have been on my Ignore list since my first and last interaction with them...
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 04:44 PM   #19
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,438
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
An odd set of examples to prove a point. When I got back into cycling 15 years ago, I stayed away from clipless and used the old fashion clips and straps. I finally gave in 5 years ago and never looked back, though I must admit, I got at least a couple of months using them on a spinning bike before I took the plunge and put them on my hybrid.

I have fallen, maybe once or twice with clipless, but I also fell a couple of times with clips and straps. In general, it is far easier to dismount from clipless than it is from clips and straps.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 05:00 PM   #20
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I guess I am not a real cyclist as I have yet to fall because of my clip-less pedals... almost every one of my bikes has some form of foot retention be it old school clips and straps (with no cleat) or modern clipless pedals with most having Shimano SPD pedals while my road pedals are Look.

Never switched to clipless until my back injury and the neuropathy in my leg made riding without some firm retention very difficult.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 05:04 PM   #21
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The OP prefers Worksman bikes. And, from another thread, would recommend Powerstraps as a safer alternative. Powerstraps that can literally "lock" your foot onto the pedal! Oh well.

I've got a 30 year old bike with clips and straps that I can take for a ride to remind me of just how much safer our current options are.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 05:08 PM   #22
zenout
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree clip-less are very dangerous but for me i would never give up my speedplays and sidis for anything..I admire the op for posting it........When i hit stop lights i unclip a good 20 yards or so before the light.....i saw a guy clipped in and he didn't release in time and the bike dragged him under......We all said if he wasn't clipped in he would still be alive......It was a horror....WE chose a crazy sport but its worth it.Even at 15% float there are times when im glad i came out of the pedal...
zenout is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 06:23 PM   #23
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually agree with this one. If you feel that clipless pedals are the thing good for you. But, I like my free ride pedals. With the right shoes I've never slipped off and theplatform is wide enough there are endless options for foot position. I can get up 53km/h on an mtb with dual purpose tires and I don't really need or want to go any faster. I just feel uncomfortable with feet attached to the bike.
krobinson103 is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 06:49 PM   #24
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
No foot-retention: dangerous because your feet could slip off the pedals causing your soft parts to hit the top tube
Ooh, now that brings back some bad memories!
pdlamb is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 08:05 PM   #25
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
No foot-retention: dangerous because your feet could slip off the pedals causing your soft parts to hit the top tube
as you lose control of your bike, you get the extra added bonus of scraping your shin on the pedal. So first you get a nasty pain in your shin and then get run over by a dump truck. Clipless or die, that's what I say

I've amazed myself at how fast I can get out of being clipped in when I'm panicking. Granted, there sometimes is a little cursing, but that happens anyway
unterhausen is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.