Been seeing articles about people getting hit by cars. I love commuting by bike, and came to these forums due to my love of cycling, but all this bad news is making me feel like my turn is gonna be any day now.
So tell me, what have I gotten myself into:
1. How high is the risk of getting hit by a car?
2. Is it safe to say that USA roads have not been developed with cycling in mind, and that maybe bikes really have no business on them if the roads are that inapproriate and dangerous for cycling? Are we deluding ourselves?
3. I am under the impression that Asian and European roads were built with cyclists in mind because there are so many. Here in the states cyclists seem to be rare, comparatively.
4. How many members are on these forums?
5. How many cyclists in the USA? Any stats of cyclist/hits ratios out there?
Moderator note: I put this in General because I wanted all eyes for max input. If it need to go to A&S, please do so with my apologies.