Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Brooks B72 vs. B68 Question

    I have a B17 Imperial that is too narrow for me (on my Mezzo folder), a B68 that is the perfect width and very comfortable, except that the back of my legs at the joint with the hip socket hit the edge of the saddle while peddling (on downstroke). The B72 (sprung) has essentially the same overall width as the B68 (209 mm vs. 205 mm), but doesn't appear to taper or widen as quickly from the saddle nose as the B68. In other words, the B72 is narrow from the saddle nose for a longer distance towards the back of the saddle. Because of this I think my leg hitting issue could be resolved with the B72.

    Can any of you confirm this or have experience with this issue? Sheldon Brown's website (for the B72 description) says "for general riding comfort go with the fully sprung B66." I wonder if the B66 has the same taper as the B72, or is it more like the B68? I would like the B68 if it tapered the same and because it comes in black and works with my micro-adjust set post (without the sandwich).

    Wasn't sure where best to post this - here, commuting, touring, etc??
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  2. #2
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,110
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The B-72 is a bit narrower so that should make a difference. I would buy from Wallingford Bike, they have a no questions asked return policy. Interestingly enough the B-72 is my least favorite of all the Brooks saddles that I have owned.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    The B-72 is a bit narrower so that should make a difference. I would buy from Wallingford Bike, they have a no questions asked return policy. Interestingly enough the B-72 is my least favorite of all the Brooks saddles that I have owned.

    Aaron
    I don't like the weird look of it (really flares out in the rear), but when I'm sitting on it if it is comfortable I guess I could let that go What did you not like about it if you don't mind telling? Which do you like best?

    If I were just a little more upright on the Mezzo the B68 would be great - as it works well when I am sitting up with a few fingers of one hand on the grips or no-handed.
    Last edited by Ridefreemc; 05-23-12 at 06:33 AM.
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  4. #4
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,129
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put your backside on both and see..
    that is the end of your body you have to satisfy with your saddle choice..

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct me if I am wrong. It seems most of the Raleigh 3 speeds and perhaps other makers at the time used the B72 if they were offering an off the rack bike with a leather saddle.
    It is probably a "middle of the road" type of saddle that most people could use and be comfortable on. Generic so to speak.
    People at the time didn't have the selection, variety or knowledge of product like they do now.
    Think back when you were a kid, did you have much of a choice with your bikes?
    The B72, in my opinion, was a manufacturers "one size fits all". At the time it probably did.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Put your backside on both and see..
    that is the end of your body you have to satisfy with your saddle choice..
    Will do just that! However, was asking before I spend another $150 plus. The shape of the B72 is different from the B68 in my estimation and will likely address my issue described above. However, nice to have a forum whereby you can ask another of their experience, and be entertained at the same time.
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobn View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong. It seems most of the Raleigh 3 speeds and perhaps other makers at the time used the B72 if they were offering an off the rack bike with a leather saddle.
    It is probably a "middle of the road" type of saddle that most people could use and be comfortable on. Generic so to speak.
    People at the time didn't have the selection, variety or knowledge of product like they do now.
    Think back when you were a kid, did you have much of a choice with your bikes?
    The B72, in my opinion, was a manufacturers "one size fits all". At the time it probably did.
    Sheldon Brown's site does say that the B72 is the replacement on the Raleigh if you are doing a restorartion. However, for others not needing to restore go with the B66. My issue there is that the B66 shape looks to be the same as the B68 - both hitting the back of my legs.
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  8. #8
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,110
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridefreemc View Post
    I don't like the weird look of it (really flares out in the rear), but when I'm sitting on it if it is comfortable I guess I could let that go What did you not like about it if you don't mind telling? Which do you like best?

    If I were just a little more upright on the Mezzo the B68 would be great - as it works well when I am sitting up with a few fingers of one hand on the grips or no-handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridefreemc View Post
    Sheldon Brown's site does say that the B72 is the replacement on the Raleigh if you are doing a restorartion. However, for others not needing to restore go with the B66. My issue there is that the B66 shape looks to be the same as the B68 - both hitting the back of my legs.
    B66/67/68 all have the same top, the 66/67 are sprung, one is single rail the other double, the 68 is a single rail unsprung.

    I think the design of the B72 leads to early failure, the "springs" on it are basically decorative. I have never had a brand new B72 but every older one I have inherited has failed just behind the nose. I have never had any of my other Brooks saddles fail at that point. I currently have about 8 of them with roughly half of them coming used with the bike and the other half having been purchased new or nearly new by me. I have a tendency to head for the sprung saddles because they work best for me.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •