Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike thefts and attempts

    I ws wondering what the do's and donts of witnessing bike theft. Can you assault the guy and take his bag of tools and ****? Or do you have to call the cops first and somehow prevent the guy from leaving without getting beat up?seems like alot of ppl dont give a **** and just let the guy do what they do. Even security guards. My beater bike got stolen a few weeks ago and a friend saw some random dude riding it in her block. In that situation, if I see him, can I clothesline him and take my bike back or will I face the hammer of the law? I'm guessing I should just follow him to his house and call the cops. What are your experiences with bikethefts that involved the police? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Blaster of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,500
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How is this relevant to SS/FG?

    Moving to General Cycling Discussion.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought ssfg riders were more badass and probably had ore experience with this kind of thing. But youre right, I should get a more general view. Thank you.

  4. #4
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,033
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike thefts and attempts

    "don't steal bikes, bro"
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  5. #5
    Kitten Legion Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidandrei View Post
    I just thought ssfg riders were more badass and probably had ore experience with this kind of thing. But youre right, I should get a more general view. Thank you.
    LMAO, bike thieves shun SS/FG bikes, most of them would probably face plant themselves on a FG and many of them can't understand how a SS works.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say, follow him and steal it back. Just after he dismounts, walk up to your bike grab it firmly, and yell, "No! I refuse to let you take my bike, right here in the broad open daylight in front of all these witnesses!"

    He'll most probably crap his pants right there, on the spot!

    PS.

    No. Actually, if you do follow him and he stops somewhere. Just call the police about a robbery in progress at the nearest business. That's all you're going to tell the police operator! When the police arrive, explain that the operator must have mistaken you. However, here's this guy, he's a bike thief...He stole your bike, but you've just recovered it!

    Unless you live in a small town, the police won't respond to a bike theft in progress, in many cases. It's way too low on the priority list!
    Last edited by SlimRider; 06-02-12 at 03:50 PM.

  7. #7
    Kitten Legion Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    I say, follow him and steal it back. Just after he dismounts, walk up to your bike grab it firmly, and yell, "No! I refuse to let you take my bike, right here in the broad open daylight in front of all these witnesses!"

    He'll most probably crap his pants right there, on the spot!


    Not in cali. they'd just laugh in your face and say, " what are you going to do about it".

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, bike thieves when caught riding a stolen bike will always say they just bought it from someone else. The worse they will be charged with is possession of stolen goods. If you assault the person riding your bike, you will open yourself up to a civil suit. As satisfying it may seem at the moment, don't do it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa
    Posts
    564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
    First of all, bike thieves when caught riding a stolen bike will always say they just bought it from someone else. The worse they will be charged with is possession of stolen goods. If you assault the person riding your bike, you will open yourself up to a civil suit. As satisfying it may seem at the moment, don't do it.
    There was a recent incident where a girl here in Colorado had her bike stolen. She then found the bike being sold on craigslist she called the guy up and set up a time for a test ride. She parked a few blocks away and walked to meet the guy. She hoped on her bike and rode back to her car then she loaded it up and drove home. She then called the cops and explained the situation and gave them his info. Turns out he had more stolen bikes too.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
    First of all, bike thieves when caught riding a stolen bike will always say they just bought it from someone else. The worse they will be charged with is possession of stolen goods. If you assault the person riding your bike, you will open yourself up to a civil suit. As satisfying it may seem at the moment, don't do it.
    If he refuses to hand over the bike that I have a receipt for and have already officially registered with the National Bike Registry, he'll have a hard time proving that the bike belongs to him. If he strikes me first, I have a right to disable him!

    Purchasing stolen property can be a very painful venture, indeed!

  11. #11
    Kitten Legion Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    If he refuses to hand over the bike that I have a receipt for and have already officially registered with the National Bike Registry, he'll have a hard time proving that the bike belongs to him. If he strikes me first, I have a right to disable him!

    Purchasing stolen property can be a very painful venture, indeed!

    You are funny.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4345 View Post
    You are funny.
    If you ever stole my bike and I caught up with you, I'll just bet you wouldn't be laughing...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa
    Posts
    564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    If you ever stole my bike and I caught up with you, I'll just bet you wouldn't be laughing...
    I agree. Plus if you think about it how many criminals are going to try and press charges. Just think about it.

    Criminal: I stole this guys bike

    Judge: Then what happened.

    Criminal: The guy caught me and kicked my ass......

    Or think about him having to explain it to his friends and family

    Friends/Family: What the hell happened to you?

    Criminal: I tried to steal this guys bicycle, and he whopped my ass

    Family/Friends: You mean you got your ass whopped by a guy wearing a helmet and tight fitting bike shorts? LMFAO

  14. #14
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    If you ever stole my bike and I caught up with you, I'll just bet you wouldn't be laughing...
    Always be careful when you do that. I lived in a neighborhood that was becoming infested with less than desirable characters. About 6 months after I moved out, a neighbor of mine and his wife noticed that their back patio area had been broken into and her bicycle taken.

    Then they saw a fellow across the street sitting on the bike. The neighbor went over to get the bike back. All the thief was willing to give him though, was a bullet. I'm not sure if his widow got her bike back.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Always be careful when you do that. I lived in a neighborhood that was becoming infested with less than desirable characters. About 6 months after I moved out, a neighbor of mine and his wife noticed that their back patio area had been broken into and her bicycle taken.

    Then they saw a fellow across the street sitting on the bike. The neighbor went over to get the bike back. All the thief was willing to give him though, was a bullet. I'm not sure if his widow got her bike back.
    If the guy is that bold, to sit on his neighbor's stolen bike, practically

    announcing that he stole it and he's proud of the fact, then it would be time

    to implement Operation Stealth, a silent Ninja tactic, only performed under the darkness of night.

    PS.

    Now, that's funny!....True, but somehow funny nonetheless!

    * Actually, every cyclist should have his name and personal information secretly hidden inside of his seat tube. Whenever the police are called, it will be quite easy to confirm ownership afterwards. Additionally, all bicycles should be registered with the National Bike Registry.
    Last edited by SlimRider; 06-03-12 at 08:03 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo734 View Post
    I agree. Plus if you think about it how many criminals are going to try and press charges. Just think about it.

    Criminal: I stole this guys bike

    Judge: Then what happened.

    Criminal: The guy caught me and kicked my ass......

    Or think about him having to explain it to his friends and family

    Friends/Family: What the hell happened to you?

    Criminal: I tried to steal this guys bicycle, and he whopped my ass

    Family/Friends: You mean you got your ass whopped by a guy wearing a helmet and tight fitting bike shorts? LMFAO
    Real life never plays out the way you have imagined in your mind.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Eastern Carolina
    My Bikes
    Giant Sedona
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Always be careful when you do that. I lived in a neighborhood that was becoming infested with less than desirable characters. About 6 months after I moved out, a neighbor of mine and his wife noticed that their back patio area had been broken into and her bicycle taken.

    Then they saw a fellow across the street sitting on the bike. The neighbor went over to get the bike back. All the thief was willing to give him though, was a bullet. I'm not sure if his widow got her bike back.
    I can honestly seeing that happening here, too. It scares the cr@p out of me. Do they make LoJack for bikes, too? The LBS I bought my bike from yesterday, wrote the Serial number on every piece of paper they gave me. Said it was important as proof that I own the bike. They also went over alot of "don't", like leave the bike on the bike rack, leave out in the open, in a garage with the garage doors open, etc because of how bikes are stolen. Dang, it's almost not worth riding because there is not much you can do to prevent the theif. If they want your bike, they will take it, regardless of how secure you make it.
    2013 End of Summer Goal: Return to NC's Dismal Swamp State Park trail

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •