Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-12, 09:43 AM   #1
garethzbarker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garethzbarker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kimpo, S. Korea
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
women and genitalia problems

My wife just started riding with me a few months ago. I'm really happy. Not long ago the news here issued a warning to female cyclists that riding a bike will cause genital problems. She's really worried and always thinking about it. I know about men's problems but not really women. For me I always make sure I can feel my sit bones and I make sure I have lots of airflow to my private area so it doesn't heat up too much. What do women do to protect themselves? What do I need to know to help her avoid problems so she can relax and enjoy the ride? She's really off to a decent start and I'd hate to see her quit now.
garethzbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 09:49 AM   #2
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Women can get numbness or pain if there is too much pressure on nerves, just like men. If she has discomfort or numbness, she should check that her bike is fitted correctly. If the fit is good and she's still having issues, she needs a different saddle.

I have a saddle with a center cutout and it's comfortable for 100+ mile rides.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 09:49 AM   #3
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I remember correctly, it's really the same concepts that men use. Women may need wider saddle though.
ben4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 10:43 AM   #4
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Also, wearing women's cycling pants can help (or so my wife says).
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 10:49 AM   #5
TurbineBlade
Kid A
 
TurbineBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife does fine with padded shorts and a brooks b67. She needs to have it tilted downward more than I do for mine, but whatever keeps her on the bike!
TurbineBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 11:58 AM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
And the setup, so pelvis rotation forward is minimized, will help.

Don't make the reach to the bars.. too far ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 12:01 PM   #7
stevebiker
Senior Member
 
stevebiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tammany Trace
Bikes:
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guarantee this thread will set an all-time record for views, very quickly.
stevebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 12:21 PM   #8
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I remember correctly BF used to have a women's only forums that one had to ask for admission to keeping the freaks out so women could discuss their concerns/issue freely.

Ask Admin Tom Stormcrowe about the women's forum................
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 12:39 PM   #9
ahsposo 
Tuetonic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stalag 13
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,064
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Also, wearing women's cycling pants can help (or so my wife says).
Uh, huh.

Sure.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 01:52 PM   #10
SlimRider
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Uh, huh.

Sure.
Now that was absolutely uncalled for!


SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 04:53 PM   #11
Condorita
Grammar Cop
 
Condorita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Papa Smurf's Lair
Bikes: in my sig line
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only women are allowed in the women's forum (except for the occasional token male mod, of course). I believe the invitation comes after the profile is filled out with gender info.
Condorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 06:19 PM   #12
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I got invited to the women's forum but respectfully declined.

Jan the Man
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 06:37 PM   #13
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,007
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Some tips:

-- Make sure the bicycle is set up correctly for her.

-- Make sure the saddle is wide enough for her, but not too wide.

-- Make sure the saddle is not too soft (gel saddles can be a problem).

-- She will be more comfortable if she develops a strong core.

-- Developing a strong core will help her sit on her sitbones, rather than putting pressure anywhere else.

-- Tucking the pelvis under helps. Sit up straight on a hard chair and suck your abs in. You'll notice that the front part of your "sitting area" lifts up. That's good. That's what you want when you're sitting on a bicycle. But that's hard to maintain if you don't have a strong core.

-- The right pair of cycling shorts can help. For me, those are cycling shorts with very thin, smooth padding. The newer styles of shorts with all the lumpy padding in them are terrible ... very uncomfortable ... too much pressure in all the wrong spots.

-- Move and stretch - stand up on the bicycle now and then. If the ride is long, get off the bicycle and walk around and stretch once every couple hours.


I've logged over 140,000 km in the past 20+ years, including four 1200K randonnees and all sorts of shorter (but long) rides leading up to those, and I rarely have any sitting area issues of any sort.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 08:06 PM   #14
garethzbarker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garethzbarker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kimpo, S. Korea
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Some tips:

-- Make sure the bicycle is set up correctly for her.

-- Make sure the saddle is wide enough for her, but not too wide.

-- Make sure the saddle is not too soft (gel saddles can be a problem).

-- She will be more comfortable if she develops a strong core.

-- Developing a strong core will help her sit on her sitbones, rather than putting pressure anywhere else.

-- Tucking the pelvis under helps. Sit up straight on a hard chair and suck your abs in. You'll notice that the front part of your "sitting area" lifts up. That's good. That's what you want when you're sitting on a bicycle. But that's hard to maintain if you don't have a strong core.

-- The right pair of cycling shorts can help. For me, those are cycling shorts with very thin, smooth padding. The newer styles of shorts with all the lumpy padding in them are terrible ... very uncomfortable ... too much pressure in all the wrong spots.

-- Move and stretch - stand up on the bicycle now and then. If the ride is long, get off the bicycle and walk around and stretch once every couple hours.


I've logged over 140,000 km in the past 20+ years, including four 1200K randonnees and all sorts of shorter (but long) rides leading up to those, and I rarely have any sitting area issues of any sort.

Thanks so much Machka, it sounds very similar to what I've said to her but
she will probably feel better hearing it from you
We want to have a baby in the next couple of years so she is nervous. I personally do take measure to ensure pressure and too much heat away from my privates (sitting on the sit bones only, not too much padding, knees straight rather than in to allow air flow, ect). I've never had my sperm count measured but I feel safe that I'm causing less heat and friction biking than power walking. Also, I think cycling could make her healthier which could make pregnancy easier on her.
garethzbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 08:12 PM   #15
garethzbarker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garethzbarker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kimpo, S. Korea
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a lot of female friends that complain about pressure in the vagina area, I try to explain that's not good. I think the problem is for men testicle pressure is unbearable. But women tend to grin and bare it; this causes problems. I rode with two girls last weekend complaining about it but they didn't seem to be planning to fix it. I know a girl that actually bleeds from riding but refuses to get a new saddle. I think she likes the way her current saddle looks.
garethzbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 08:18 PM   #16
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,007
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garethzbarker View Post
I have a lot of female friends that complain about pressure in the vagina area, I try to explain that's not good. I think the problem is for men testicle pressure is unbearable. But women tend to grin and bare it; this causes problems. I rode with two girls last weekend complaining about it but they didn't seem to be planning to fix it. I know a girl that actually bleeds from riding but refuses to get a new saddle. I think she likes the way her current saddle looks.
Cycling does not need to be that uncomfortable!
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 10:00 PM   #17
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,794
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garethzbarker View Post
But women tend to grin and bare it [emphasis mine]; this causes problems.
I bet it does, you randy bastard!

Really, this thread is too much! First the OP says he ventilates his junk to keep it from overheating on the bike, and now this?!

Really...stop it...you're killing me!
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 11:01 PM   #18
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
If I remember correctly BF used to have a women's only forums that one had to ask for admission to keeping the freaks out so women could discuss their concerns/issue freely.

Ask Admin Tom Stormcrowe about the women's forum................
Im a woman and have not seen any women's forum...

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 06-06-12 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 11:24 PM   #19
garethzbarker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garethzbarker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kimpo, S. Korea
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
I bet it does, you randy bastard!

Really, this thread is too much! First the OP says he ventilates his junk to keep it from overheating on the bike, and now this?!

Really...stop it...you're killing me!
I'm glad my nads entertain you so much Chaad but this isn't a new topic or a joke. There has been a lot of debate on cycling and men's sexual health for a long time. but a recent study at Yale concluded cycling decreases women’s sexual sensation. It's an actual problem... I 'ventilate my junk' for the same reason I wear a helmet or a baseball catcher wears a mask, for protection.
garethzbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 11:38 PM   #20
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,007
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
Im a woman and have not seen any women's forum...
You're only new here. You have to be here several months before the female mods will contact you about it.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 03:40 AM   #21
a1penguin
Senior Member
 
a1penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garethzbarker View Post
I know a girl that actually bleeds from riding but refuses to get a new saddle. I think she likes the way her current saddle looks.
Now THAT is down right scary. Pain, yes. Numbness, yes. Bleeding? See a doctor.

I'm not sure padded shorts help, but moving around, standing, etc do help. I generally don't have any issues for the first 20 miles.
a1penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 04:01 AM   #22
TurbineBlade
Kid A
 
TurbineBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You're only new here. You have to be here several months before the female mods will contact you about it.
It's pretty pathetic that women have to have their own forum to ask questions because many males are such idiots that they'd "locust" all of the threads with stupid comments. That's really pretty sad, and I'm a male.
TurbineBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 04:07 AM   #23
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,007
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade View Post
It's pretty pathetic that women have to have their own forum to ask questions because many males are such idiots that they'd "locust" all of the threads with stupid comments. That's really pretty sad, and I'm a male.
Yes, but some women just feel uncomfortable talking about women-specific cycling-related issues in a mixed forum. Some of our issues can get pretty personal.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 06:54 AM   #24
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,794
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garethzbarker View Post
I'm glad my nads entertain you so much Chaad but this isn't a new topic or a joke. There has been a lot of debate on cycling and men's sexual health for a long time. but a recent study at Yale concluded cycling decreases women’s sexual sensation. It's an actual problem... I 'ventilate my junk' for the same reason I wear a helmet or a baseball catcher wears a mask, for protection.
Alright, never minding your humorless state, aside from doing what you can to ensure your wife's bike is properly setup, that she has good equipment, and that she's exercising best-practices while on the bike (e.g. varying her seated position, standing, changing hand position, etc.), you might want to consider some professional therapy for her, because she should not be "really worried" or thinking about it "all the time" as you say she is. That's the real problem.
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:46 AM   #25
garethzbarker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garethzbarker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kimpo, S. Korea
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
awww come on. We aren't going to go wife bashing are we haha? She just doesn't know about bikes and believes what she reads in the paper. Also her vag is more important to her than cycling . She was happy to read Machka's post though. I think she doubts my knowledge on the matter a bit.

If I seemed humorless sorry, I'm usually quite loose.
garethzbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.