Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-12, 11:12 AM   #1
Surfer34
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how much do you rest on a ride ?

My average ride is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours long for overall time. On my last ride my overall time was 2:22 and my moving time was 2:14 so I "rested" for 8 minutes which was actually stopping 4 times for 2 minutes each.

My friend just did a ride that 101 miles and his moving time was 8:40 and overall time was 10:05.
Surfer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 11:20 AM   #2
WickedThump
Senior Member
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stop at least once per hour to check my blood sugar levels. Thats about a 5 minute break.
WickedThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 11:28 AM   #3
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depends...

I can ride for 2 hours straight with no stops. Or I can ride from the house to the grocery store which is a 15 minute ride and have to stop at least 3 times.

When riding longer distances I usually ride for 45 minutes to an hour then take a short stretch break. If something catches my attention, like a brew pub, desert store or ice cream shop all bets are off.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 11:43 AM   #4
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't stop to rest. I stop to get food or drink or to relieve myself, but I get back on the bike before I've had a chance to cool down. And, of course, I'll get stopped by red lights or traffic at intersections, but they are pauses rather than stops.

To give an accurate answer I've looked at the data from an organised century I do most years. I spent 6 hours 30 minutes on the bike, and my overall ride time was 6:45, so in all I spent about fifteen minutes at the feed stations. That's slightly longer than I would have expected.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 01:06 PM   #5
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Up to about a metric, a pee break every 2 hours or so gives me all the rest I need. On anything longer, I'll take 5 minutes or so off the bike to have some solid food, like a PB&J sandwich.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 05:35 PM   #6
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,736
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer34 View Post
My average ride is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours long for overall time. On my last ride my overall time was 2:22 and my moving time was 2:14 so I "rested" for 8 minutes which was actually stopping 4 times for 2 minutes each.

My friend just did a ride that 101 miles and his moving time was 8:40 and overall time was 10:05.
As you've discovered ... it depends.

It depends on what kind of ride I want to do. It depends on how I'm feeling. It depends on how long the ride is. It depends on what I need in the way of supplies and facilities.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 02:01 AM   #7
a1penguin
Senior Member
 
a1penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Where do you find rides that long that don't have stop lights/stop signs? I rest as much as I need to rest, but my rides are usually 40 miles or less. I almost always stop for an iced latte 6 miles from home :-)
a1penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 02:06 AM   #8
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,736
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1penguin View Post
Where do you find rides that long that don't have stop lights/stop signs?
You'd have to cycle about 75 km to find a stop light around here.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 10:52 AM   #9
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I generally don't rest at all. Most rides up to 60 miles I don't stop except as necessary for traffic or when cold to pee, or hot to refill bottles. On organized centuries etc with aid stops, I'll stop no longer than necessary to grab a bite, refill bottles and pee maybe at 35 miles and 70 miles. I find that anything more than 10-15 minutes out of the saddle makes my legs get sluggish.

Of course there are some rides that are more social, sightseeing, or touring oriented where stopping is more common and of longer duration.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 02:06 PM   #10
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
I generally don't rest at all. Most rides up to 60 miles I don't stop except as necessary for traffic or when cold to pee, or hot to refill bottles. On organized centuries etc with aid stops, I'll stop no longer than necessary to grab a bite, refill bottles and pee maybe at 35 miles and 70 miles. I find that anything more than 10-15 minutes out of the saddle makes my legs get sluggish.

Of course there are some rides that are more social, sightseeing, or touring oriented where stopping is more common and of longer duration.
Yup. If I'm off the bike for even 5 minutes, I find that it takes me a little time to get my legs working right again. Some of it may be age related. I'm closing in on 60.

On an organized century, depending on how far apart the rest stops are, I might only hit every other one. But it's usually grab whatever they're serving for food, stuff it in the jersey to eat enroute, re-fill the liquids, and back on the bike.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 02:11 PM   #11
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,606
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depends...

I can ride for 2 hours straight with no stops. Or I can ride from the house to the grocery store which is a 15 minute ride and have to stop at least 3 times.

When riding longer distances I usually ride for 45 minutes to an hour then take a short stretch break. If something catches my attention, like a brew pub, desert store or ice cream shop all bets are off.

Aaron
If I were wearing Depends I wouldn't have to stop at all.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 03:10 PM   #12
TomCat_Ford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually stop about every hour or so to eat a banana or a protein bar (for less than 5 minutes). Because of my high metabolism, I have to eat something more often than your average cyclist from what I can tell on this forum. I once made the mistake of not eating enough during a ride and I barely made it home--the last five miles were absolutely horrendous.

As an aside, I only stop because I don't feel confident enough to peal a banana while riding.
TomCat_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 03:33 PM   #13
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anything under 30 miles and I stop only to drink. On a 90 mile ride I won't stop at all on the first half (other than to drink or refill the bottle from the supply in the backpack. On the second half I get hungry so I stop every 30 minutes or so to drink and eat some rice crackers.

If there is something interesting to see I'll go and check it out. Its not a race and the routes I choose to ride are always very pretty so for 5 hours riding I'll end up with about an hour off the bike. I usually stop for 20 minutes or so at the midpoint and eat a few sandwiches and fruit. Once I get to the last few miles bets are off. If there happens to be a good icecream shop on the way I'll usually go there. If I can't eat an icecream after 85 miles whats the point?
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 03:44 PM   #14
alexaschwanden
Bike rider
 
alexaschwanden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: san jose
Bikes: 2015 Raleigh Revenio 1.0
Posts: 3,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I stop if needed for food or drink.
alexaschwanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 03:46 PM   #15
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
Anything under 30 miles and I stop only to drink. On a 90 mile ride I won't stop at all on the first half (other than to drink or refill the bottle from the supply in the backpack. On the second half I get hungry so I stop every 30 minutes or so to drink and eat some rice crackers.
Why do you need to stop to drink? Or to eat, for that matter?
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 04:06 PM   #16
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,606
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat_Ford View Post
I usually stop about every hour or so to eat a banana or a protein bar (for less than 5 minutes). Because of my high metabolism, I have to eat something more often than your average cyclist from what I can tell on this forum. I once made the mistake of not eating enough during a ride and I barely made it home--the last five miles were absolutely horrendous.

As an aside, I only stop because I don't feel confident enough to peal a banana while riding.
If you can peal a banana, it is probably not ripe enough to eat.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 06:28 PM   #17
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
If you can peal a banana, it is probably not ripe enough to eat.
Mine only peal when they're frozen.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 07:59 PM   #18
TomCat_Ford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
If you can peal a banana, it is probably not ripe enough to eat.
Fair enough, but you know what I meant. (It's no wonder threads on this forum get derailed so easily...)
TomCat_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 08:57 PM   #19
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rarely unless I am riding with a group.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 09:33 PM   #20
GamblerGORD53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Elevation 666m Edmonton Canada
Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm like the OP friend then. 95 /110 mile ride days are 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hours moving and 10 to 13 hours total.
I'm 58 and i'm lucky if my non-weenie bike is less than 43 lbs. with 3 water bottles, tools, extra clothes,etc. I take all day on purpose and choose towns to visit along the way. After carefull consideration of avoiding head winds, If I'm tired I will putter in the small towns and or stop and snack. I go about 25 miles and have a burger lunch. DQ mmmm Where I want supper (an hour +)dictates how far/ fast I go in the afternoon.
My biggest problem is how sore my bum gets, and I do have a newer brooks flyer. So usually an early supper and head for home with likely 1 stop for pie and then 10+ miles in my big city. It's mostly downhill and downwind on the way home. Some of these rides I barely see anyone else on a bicycle down the highway.

This year I UP- graded to a SA XL-RD5w.
It puts my hybrid 3x8 derailer to shame.
GamblerGORD53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 01:24 AM   #21
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Why do you need to stop to drink? Or to eat, for that matter?
Because I have a bottle that requires removal of the cap and I haven't figured out a safe way to twist it off and ride at the same time. All my food is stashed in my backpack and removing that while riding would be foolish. Also I always choose scenic spots to stop at and usually take photos. If it takes longer I don't care. Who am I racing with? I suppose I could ride no hands, but I don't enjoy doing that.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 02:21 AM   #22
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
Because I have a bottle that requires removal of the cap and I haven't figured out a safe way to twist it off and ride at the same time. All my food is stashed in my backpack and removing that while riding would be foolish. Also I always choose scenic spots to stop at and usually take photos. If it takes longer I don't care. Who am I racing with? I suppose I could ride no hands, but I don't enjoy doing that.
That must be a pain. Buy a bottle that you can drink from through the nozzle. Most of them are dirt cheap. And ditch the backpack, you'll be amazed how much nicer it is to ride without one. You can get ample food for a longish ride in the rear pockets of a jersey.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 07:09 AM   #23
The Chemist
Senior Member
 
The Chemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China
Bikes: Giant FCR3500
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I rode my first (and so far only) imperial Century last summer, my riding time was about 6.5 hours, but my total time was nearly 9 hours. I tend to stop every 15-20km or so to eat a banana and drink some Gatorade on summer rides when the humidity is high and I'm sweating like crazy. In the winter/spring/autumn I can go a lot further without stopping, though.
The Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 10:39 AM   #24
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,606
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat_Ford View Post
Fair enough, but you know what I meant. (It's no wonder threads on this forum get derailed so easily...)
Sorry. I'd just finished editing a report when I read this and my typo glasses were still on.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 AM.