Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   9 months getting into cycling and what I've learned... (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/825008-9-months-getting-into-cycling-what-ive-learned.html)

rickyhmltn 06-13-12 11:04 AM

9 months getting into cycling and what I've learned...
 
  • Bike shop bike really are that much better than dept store bikes
  • Start at least one level about "Tourney" derailleurs. Not horrible but going forward I'll always at least get one or two levels higher.
  • Tune ups help!
  • Don't use puncture resistant inner tubes at least from Avenir or Sunlit.
  • If you don't have the puncture resistant tires, use puncture resistant liner.
  • Use bar ends on long trips

Any other advice for someone who's still a novice but learning?

PJCB 06-13-12 11:37 AM

Learn to fix the easy stuff yourself. Drink a lot of water. Cars will always be bigger, faster and more aggressive, so act accordingly. Bring your cell phone.

rdtompki 06-13-12 02:03 PM

  • Bike shop bike really are that much better than dept store bikes
    Yes
  • Start at least one level about "Tourney" derailleurs. Not horrible but going forward I'll always at least get one or two levels higher.
    Don't know what these are, but if they are lowest quality you definitely want better if you can afford to do so. Same with shifters.
  • Tune ups help!
    Yes, but DIY
  • Don't use puncture resistant inner tubes at least from Avenir or Sunlit.
  • If you don't have the puncture resistant tires, use puncture resistant liner.
    Just watch where you're going unless you're riding in a thorn and glass-riddled area
  • Use bar ends on long trips
    Are you touring in Mongolia? How long is a long trip?

PJCB 06-13-12 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdtompki (Post 14352080)
  • Bike shop bike really are that much better than dept store bikes
    Yes
  • Start at least one level about "Tourney" derailleurs. Not horrible but going forward I'll always at least get one or two levels higher.
    Don't know what these are, but if they are lowest quality you definitely want better if you can afford to do so. Same with shifters.
  • Tune ups help!
    Yes, but DIY
  • Don't use puncture resistant inner tubes at least from Avenir or Sunlit.
  • If you don't have the puncture resistant tires, use puncture resistant liner.
    Just watch where you're going unless you're riding in a thorn and glass-riddled area
  • Use bar ends on long trips
    Are you touring in Mongolia? How long is a long trip?

+1 you never know, I've taken a few spur of the moments trips through Mongolia :P

caloso 06-13-12 02:10 PM

Bend your elbows.

MRT2 06-13-12 02:13 PM

After 3 or 4 months of riding, you will probably hear the Siren call of a new bike. You will decide that while your trusty old steed was OK for a beginner cyclist, now that you have hundreds of miles under you, it is too heavy/slow/ Fred for your current skill level. If you scratch the itch to "upgrade", the cycle will repeat itself until you run out of room in your garage/apartment/storage shed.

Yo Spiff 06-13-12 02:27 PM

-Someone else is always faster
-The bike isn't what makes you fast
-It is spelled B-R-A-K-E-S
-Everything seems to require a special tool that you don't have yet.
-As far as addictions go, this is a pretty good one to have.

MRT2 06-13-12 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff (Post 14352206)
-
-As far as addictions go, this is a pretty good one to have.

:thumb: True. Cycling can be ridiculously cheap, or somewhat expensive, depending on your need for the latest and greatest gear. But even if you go the expensive route, cycling is still not as expensive as, say, home theater, high end audio, luxury watches, boats, sports cars, motorcycles, or even golf. No need for country club dues, and even if you need to rely on your LBS, the most expensive bike mechanic is nothing compared to, say, what you would pay to maintain/repair an exotic sports car or boat.

bandit1990 06-13-12 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRT2 (Post 14352133)
After 3 or 4 months of riding, you will probably hear the Siren call of a new bike. You will decide that while your trusty old steed was OK for a beginner cyclist, now that you have hundreds of miles under you, it is too heavy/slow/ Fred for your current skill level. If you scratch the itch to "upgrade", the cycle will repeat itself until you run out of room in your garage/apartment/storage shed.

Sir, this is the best reply I've seen, and totally accurate.

ahsposo 06-13-12 05:35 PM

Discover drop bars.

Hoshnasi 06-13-12 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff (Post 14352206)
-Everything seems to require a special tool that you don't have yet.

1000 times, this.

rebel1916 06-13-12 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 14352992)
Discover drop bars.

yep, best advice yet.

jon c. 06-13-12 06:34 PM

I restarted after many years about 9 months ago (initially just to ride around the neighborhood with my wife). Everyone (including several bike shops) said 'don't get drop bars. older guys buy them and discover they're too uncomfortable and hard on the back.' So I started on a bike with straight bars. My hands and wrists were killing me. Within three weeks I bought another bike with drop bars. Felt so much better. If I hadn't done that, I'm not sure I'd have kept riding. As it is, I upgraded again and I'm enjoying more than I ever thought I would.

Flying Merkel 06-13-12 09:00 PM

Spin, don't pound. Shift up, don't flail.

Doohickie 06-13-12 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff (Post 14352206)
-Everyone else is always faster

fixed it for me

GamblerGORD53 06-13-12 10:06 PM

Never ever buy the cheapest anything.

ben4345 06-13-12 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRT2 (Post 14352246)
:thumb: True. Cycling can be ridiculously cheap, or somewhat expensive, depending on your need for the latest and greatest gear. But even if you go the expensive route, cycling is still not as expensive as, say, home theater, high end audio, luxury watches, boats, sports cars, motorcycles, or even golf. No need for country club dues, and even if you need to rely on your LBS, the most expensive bike mechanic is nothing compared to, say, what you would pay to maintain/repair an exotic sports car or boat.

Don't forget photography stuff... :(

Jamesw2 06-14-12 04:37 AM

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Adv..._8th_Dimension

  • Hey, hey, hey — don't be mean. We don't have to be mean. 'Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are.
  • There are times when verbal ingenuity is not enough.
  • Nobody is nobody. Everyone has something to offer.
Make sure bars are at the end of your trip (optional)

Learn to eat PIE

Learn the term Tombay

The N +1 Rule http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6272...boomer-version

Ride safe


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.