Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Schwinn Point Beach the best bike in its price range?

    Hi everyone. I made the mistake of jumping back into cycling after 10 years of not riding and decided to go straight for a pretty off the shelf bike in the store for $130. I should've done my research. 2 weeks after getting that bike the pedals broke completely off and I feel like the bike may fall apart randomly. I learned about Schwinn and found a Schwinn bike called the Point Beach that looks surprisingly good for a bike less than $200. It has a lot more that my bike such as a basket rail on the back, tire guards and a chain guard. Before I jump into a purchase, I wanted to get some feedback on it. How good of a bike is the Point Beach from Schwinn? I assume it is better than the Mantis Ghost I purchased.

    http://www.schwinnbikes.com/catalog/.../category/145/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casey86 View Post
    Hi everyone. I made the mistake of jumping back into cycling after 10 years of not riding and decided to go straight for a pretty off the shelf bike in the store for $130. I should've done my research. 2 weeks after getting that bike the pedals broke completely off and I feel like the bike may fall apart randomly. I learned about Schwinn and found a Schwinn bike called the Point Beach that looks surprisingly good for a bike less than $200. It has a lot more that my bike such as a basket rail on the back, tire guards and a chain guard. Before I jump into a purchase, I wanted to get some feedback on it. How good of a bike is the Point Beach from Schwinn? I assume it is better than the Mantis Ghost I purchased.

    http://www.schwinnbikes.com/catalog/.../category/145/
    It's junk too. All department store bikes are almost always junk. Take it back and get a refund. Be persistent, even if its obviously well used they will still often take it back (this is standard ghetto practice, believe it or not). If nothing else get store credit.

    ------

    Go to a bike shop and look at the lower-end bikes they have there. Cost will be $350-$400 (in the USA) but overall quality will be much better. If you can't get any refund on the fist bike, consider it a learning experience and move on.

    Independent bike shops won't sell junk because they don't want people coming back complaining about everything that broke.

    Department stores don't get to choose the bikes they sell,,,,,,,, so if you go back and complain, the people don't really give a s*** beyond getting you to leave since almost everything about the entire situation (of crappy merchandise) is out of their control anyway.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Doug5150. Go to a LBS and plan on spending a little more. If funds are tight, maybe ask if they have any closeouts from the previous year, or maybe trade ins. Some LBS will sell used bikes, some will not.

    Alternately, hang out here or at other bike forums and do your homework. Learn the difference between a decent entry level bike and crap. Then go look for something used on Craigslist. Recently, I bought a used Bianchi Milano for my wife locally on Craigslist for $250. New, this bike cost $600 just a few years ago. Took it to the LBS and put a rear rack on it. the mechanic who put the rack on said everything is pretty much good to go on it, which was pretty much my opinion after test riding it. Years ago, I bought a used but refurbished Trek mountain bike from a LBS for about $200. Not as cheap as might have gotten had I searched Craigslist, but they did replace the brakes, chain, cassette, rear derailleur, and tires. I bought it for my son, and I guarantee he got way more than $200 of enjoyment out of it the last 2 1/2 years, and way more than he would have out of a $150 or $200 Wal Mart or Target special.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to know if the Schwinn Point Beach is better (in any way) than the Mantis Ghost I currently have. I'm not looking for a tank or war machine. Just something that won't fall apart a few days after getting it. And Schwinn is a good name brand. Its hard to imagine they would make a piece of junk and put it out there.

  5. #5
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casey86 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to know if the Schwinn Point Beach is better (in any way) than the Mantis Ghost I currently have. I'm not looking for a tank or war machine. Just something that won't fall apart a few days after getting it. And Schwinn is a good name brand. Its hard to imagine they would make a piece of junk and put it out there.
    Correction. Schwinn was a good name brand. Now they have bikes they sell at bike shops that are pretty decent, and bikes they sell at big box stores that are not.

  6. #6
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,569
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schwinn has two lines. My wife has a Schwinn LeTour. This is the bottom of Schwinns good bike line. I think it went for about $600 new 5-6 years ago. This bike is probably nicer than similarly priced entry level brands in some ways, largely because Schwinn destroyed their good name brand by putting junk out there. Any Schwinn in Dicks or Walmart, or Target is going to be junk. This doesn't mean that you need to pay6 bills for a decent bike (I paid a bit over $200 for my wifes a year or to ago with very low mileage on it) but it's gonna take a little bit of work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    Schwinn has two lines. My wife has a Schwinn LeTour. This is the bottom of Schwinns good bike line. I think it went for about $600 new 5-6 years ago. This bike is probably nicer than similarly priced entry level brands in some ways, largely because Schwinn destroyed their good name brand by putting junk out there. Any Schwinn in Dicks or Walmart, or Target is going to be junk. This doesn't mean that you need to pay6 bills for a decent bike (I paid a bit over $200 for my wifes a year or to ago with very low mileage on it) but it's gonna take a little bit of work.
    It really is a shame. Schwinn was one of those iconic American names. I remember as a kid, if you got a Schwinn that was really something. Unfortunately, not anymore.

  8. #8
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,569
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    It really is a shame. Schwinn was one of those iconic American names. I remember as a kid, if you got a Schwinn that was really something. Unfortunately, not anymore.
    True, but I will tell you that for $200, with virtually no miles for what was at the time a 3-4 year old bike, I got a hell of a deal. I would imagine if Schwinn hadn't destroyed their reputation, that bike could have cost me another $100...

  9. #9
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    True, but I will tell you that for $200, with virtually no miles for what was at the time a 3-4 year old bike, I got a hell of a deal. I would imagine if Schwinn hadn't destroyed their reputation, that bike could have cost me another $100...
    Don't disagree and I meant no disrespect. I own a vintage mid 80s era Schwinn LeTour, so I have nothing against Schwinn.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the above mentioned Schwinn, isn't there an original 1955 model that is far superior than the redesign in the link above? I saw this same model at an antique shop and just noticed the name and I thought it was just a today model but going by the pictures there are a few different things than the one shown in the link above. Perhaps some bike experts here can tell me if the one in this pic is an original model.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 1955 bike would not have a unicrown fork or a twist grip shifter for the IGH- that one is modern, just badly cared for.
    Last edited by demoncyclist; 07-17-12 at 01:00 PM. Reason: adding to answer
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  12. #12
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,569
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    Don't disagree and I meant no disrespect. I own a vintage mid 80s era Schwinn LeTour, so I have nothing against Schwinn.
    Oh, I didn't take it wrong.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demoncyclist View Post
    A 1955 bike would not have a unicrown fork or a twist grip shifter for the IGH- that one is modern, just badly cared for.
    On the one in the pic I showed in my last reply you can notice it has white stripes on the chain guard. The one in the link does not. The one in the pic also has chrome tire guards whereas the one in the link does not. There are also several noticeable paint differences between the 2 leading me to believe that the one in the pic above is an original 1955 model.

  14. #14
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the question is, what are you looking to do. Just general riding around the neighborhood? Some road biking? dirt, gravel, or crushed limestone trails?

  15. #15
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casey86 View Post
    On the one in the pic I showed in my last reply you can notice it has white stripes on the chain guard. The one in the link does not. The one in the pic also has chrome tire guards whereas the one in the link does not. There are also several noticeable paint differences between the 2 leading me to believe that the one in the pic above is an original 1955 model.
    Fenders can be switched out. On the other hand, you would never find grip shifters on any bike from the 50s. I am a little confused. Are you looking for a bike to actually ride, or are you looking to become a vintage Schwinn collector?
    Last edited by MRT2; 07-17-12 at 01:48 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,569
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casey86 View Post
    On the one in the pic I showed in my last reply you can notice it has white stripes on the chain guard. The one in the link does not. The one in the pic also has chrome tire guards whereas the one in the link does not. There are also several noticeable paint differences between the 2 leading me to believe that the one in the pic above is an original 1955 model.
    You are definitely right.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    I guess the question is, what are you looking to do. Just general riding around the neighborhood? Some road biking? dirt, gravel, or crushed limestone trails?
    Just a decent road bike.

  18. #18
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casey86 View Post
    Just a decent road bike.
    So, why are you wasting time looking at slow, heavy cruisers with fat tires? If you want a road bike, your LBS probably has something for you to check out. Of course, you will have to up your budget quite a bit, how much really depends on whether you will be satisfied with one of the newer "flat bar" road bikes, or whether you need a true road bike.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    So, why are you wasting time looking at slow, heavy cruisers with fat tires? If you want a road bike, your LBS probably has something for you to check out. Of course, you will have to up your budget quite a bit, how much really depends on whether you will be satisfied with one of the newer "flat bar" road bikes, or whether you need a true road bike.
    We don't have a local bike shop here as far as I know. If I want a good road bike I'll have to order it online. So what am I looking for? I guess something light and more than $150. I don't want to drop a lot of money on a bike unless it will be a good invest in the sense of last a long time. So what are the good name brands of today? I guess I'm looking for light weight and not fat tires. What else?

  20. #20
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My Bikes
    CCM Torino 76
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    You are definitely right.

    Maybe different model years (like 2006 vs 2009) but neither is a 1955 bike. I am 100% certain of this. THe trend among box-store bike manufacturers has been for a couple decades to make 1950's style inspired cruisers. They are probably slightly better than the old ones in that manufaturing and welding techniques have imrpoved, and just about any bike over $100 has aluminum wheels. And more than 1 gear.

    I actually thingk the Schwinn would be a little better than the Ghost. Buying a sub 200 dollar full suspension bike is a nightmare. A bike with a 5 speed derailleur and o suspension has the advantage of simplicity... less to go wrong, less money spend on useless things like suspension forks and pivots and front derailleurs. Don't get me wrong - I don't think it is likely to be to good of a bike, but just not as bad as a $120 full suspension bike. Also the gear range will be limited and so if you have any hills where you live it might not be the best choice... they are called beach cruisers because it is impractical to ride them away from the beach where you might have to go up a hill.
    Last edited by DCB0; 07-18-12 at 11:35 AM.

  21. #21
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,569
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are wrong. The OP, despite knowing virtually nothing about bikes was able to ferret out the truth. I know this must be hard for you to handle, but apparently he just has a knack for these matters.

  22. #22
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My Bikes
    CCM Torino 76
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    You are wrong. The OP, despite knowing virtually nothing about bikes was able to ferret out the truth. I know this must be hard for you to handle, but apparently he just has a knack for these matters.
    Funny

    Unicrown forks, grip-shifters, gel saddles, and V-brakes were not too common on 1950s bikes, IIRC.

  23. #23
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    35,792
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice cruisers , lots of color schemes http://www.nirve.com/

  24. #24
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casey86 View Post
    We don't have a local bike shop here as far as I know. If I want a good road bike I'll have to order it online. So what am I looking for? I guess something light and more than $150. I don't want to drop a lot of money on a bike unless it will be a good invest in the sense of last a long time. So what are the good name brands of today? I guess I'm looking for light weight and not fat tires. What else?
    No LBS? Are you in the US?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •