Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CC Texas
    My Bikes
    Trek fx 7.1
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Invisible bike helmet!

    Saw this video today. It seems like a cool concept that might apply to the market of people that are to hard headed to wear a traditional helmet.

    enjoy!
    http://vimeo.com/43038579

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hoshnasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cerritos, Ca.
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might have just been me, but when I watched all the way to the point that they put that bulky scarf on and saw the slow-mo deployment I actually laughed out loud. The blonde said helmets are bulky too.

    Right... In comparison to this battery operated pneumatic scarf thing.

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...E4T/weight.png

    Quote Originally Posted by crushkilldstroy View Post
    This is the best thing you can do to prevent a hangover.
    21. Buy more meth.
    22. Shoot up more meth.
    23. Don't go to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I built a self-trepanning rig that I use after bike wrecks in which my helmet splits and I can't remember how I got home.
    I'll sell you plans for five dollars.

  3. #3
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,451
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have laughed for 2 minutes. Are we sure that isn't a joke video?

    But why stop with the head, why not deploy an entire cocoon and turn you into a inflated pod on impact?

    See!; Men just have better ideas.

  4. #4
    Senior Member AndreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "news" about this self-inflating helmet have been posted here (and on other cycling forums) almost monthly for the last 3-5 years.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    But why stop with the head, why not deploy an entire cocoon and turn you into a inflated pod on impact?

    See!; Men just have better ideas.
    Might be a good idea for motorcyclists.

    I think I will just continue using a regular helmet for bicycling.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue01 View Post
    Might be a good idea for motorcyclists.

    I think I will just continue using a regular helmet for bicycling.
    s'been done

    http://www.myspace.com/video/nanamx-...-coat/21646384
    Wanted: A new bicycle!
    My birthday is next week. Send monies to the address below!

  7. #7
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,398
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    The "news" about this self-inflating helmet have been posted here (and on other cycling forums) almost monthly for the last 3-5 years.
    This.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want one. However, I think the first time one doesn't open, these women are facing a serious lawsuit! I hope they make it perfect regardless.

  9. #9
    I need a user title.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    My Bikes
    Black Trek 820
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit it's a neat idea, but I'm not sure I would trust it, even though it has passed safety tests...

    And anyways, I did the conversions, and it would cost you about $605 USD. Just saying.

  10. #10
    Senior Member devianb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a person that doesn't wear a helmet I like the concept, but I don't see it being competitive alternative to a standard bike helmet. I'm guessing you would have to buy another one after the bag deploys.

  11. #11
    Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad Rx Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Front Range
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they even plan on producing this thing, sounds like they're looking for investors to scam. a 3 1/2 minute long video and 15 seconds of the the thing being deployed in slooooow motion. it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. not just if it doesn't work but what if you sneeze and the "gyroscope" thinks you've fallen? then you wreck because this thing attacks your head while you're trying to ride.
    Now an airbag that protects your ribs, sign me up!

  12. #12
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,035
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Rider View Post
    I don't think they even plan on producing this thing, sounds like they're looking for investors to scam. a 3 1/2 minute long video and 15 seconds of the the thing being deployed in slooooow motion. it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. not just if it doesn't work but what if you sneeze and the "gyroscope" thinks you've fallen? then you wreck because this thing attacks your head while you're trying to ride.
    Now an airbag that protects your ribs, sign me up!
    A scam? Wouldn't a scam entail suckering investors and taking their money even more quickly? I disagree with the scam point of view since the product they are trying to produce raise way too many questions and doubts about investment returns.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  13. #13
    Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad Rx Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Front Range
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
    A scam? Wouldn't a scam entail suckering investors and taking their money even more quickly? I disagree with the scam point of view since the product they are trying to produce raise way too many questions and doubts about investment returns.
    why would a scam need to be a quick one? there are many examples of a failing company making more money than a successful one. they've spent how many years and how many millions developing this thing? sounds like a steady paycheck to me.

  14. #14
    Kitten Legion Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I a good laugh, thanks!

  15. #15
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,035
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Rider View Post
    why would a scam need to be a quick one? there are many examples of a failing company making more money than a successful one. they've spent how many years and how many millions developing this thing? sounds like a steady paycheck to me.
    Agreed, but those companies were built on a premise and a potential for making money for investors and they were sold on an idea that capitalized on greed. That is how a successfull scam works...sell the idea of making gobs of money and almost zero risk of failure.

    This helmet venture has more potential for failure than success.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  16. #16
    I need a user title.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    My Bikes
    Black Trek 820
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are producing these. This is where I got my $605 USD price tag from. Only available in Europe at the moment, but that's fine with me.

    http://www.hovding.com/en/hovding

  17. #17
    Kitten Legion Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by narwalrus View Post
    They are producing these. This is where I got my $605 USD price tag from. Only available in Europe at the moment, but that's fine with me.

    http://www.hovding.com/en/hovding
    Good gawd!

    ...And looks like it is to appeal to women only.

  18. #18
    I need a user title.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    My Bikes
    Black Trek 820
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4345 View Post
    Good gawd!

    ...And looks like it is to appeal to women only.
    Yeah... but there is a picture of a guy wearing it.

  19. #19
    Kitten Legion Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by narwalrus View Post
    Yeah... but there is a picture of a guy wearing it.
    There are photos of guys using purses too, but that doesn't make it any manlier.

  20. #20
    I need a user title.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    My Bikes
    Black Trek 820
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4345 View Post
    There are photos of guys using purses too, but that doesn't make it any manlier.
    Point taken. You'd never catch me wearing one.

  21. #21
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    The "news" about this self-inflating helmet have been posted here (and on other cycling forums) almost monthly for the last 3-5 years.

    Is this true? I've never seen it...





    *also, this thread is SEXIST!!!!
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

  22. #22
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    7,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4345 View Post
    There are photos of guys using purses too, but that doesn't make it any manlier.
    Wow. Gender stereotyping much?

    This product has been made the subject of numerous threads on BF alone, does nobody know how to use the search function? Dullards.

    FWIW, it looks expensive and potentially uncomfortable, but also plausibly more useful than conventional bicycle helmets, which appear to have been remarkably ineffective in preventing deaths and serious head injuries. BUt please don't take up that debate here, contribute to the discussion in Advocacy and Safety.

  23. #23
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Wow. Gender stereotyping much?

    This product has been made the subject of numerous threads on BF alone, does nobody know how to use the search function? Dullards.

    FWIW, it looks expensive and potentially uncomfortable, but also plausibly more useful than conventional bicycle helmets, which appear to have been remarkably ineffective in preventing deaths and serious head injuries. BUt please don't take up that debate here, contribute to the discussion in Advocacy and Safety.
    Dullard??? Cheeky git, wot !!!
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

  24. #24
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    Is this true? I've never seen it...
    The latest thread is in A&S, where most sane people fear to tread.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  25. #25
    Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad Rx Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Front Range
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    The latest thread is in A&S, where most sane people fear to tread.
    nope, the helmet thread has officially been been turned into the what is a doctor thread, quite compelling stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •