Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Cycling addict (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/844394-cycling-addict.html)

Aeolis 09-05-12 08:45 PM

Cycling addict
 
Today my girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me citing my cycling addiction as the main reason. I tried to explain to her that it's better than smoking crack or cheating but she doesn't see it that way. Anyway now I have more time to ride before winter.

Anyone else have a similar experience of cycling getting in the way of a social life?

GrandaddyBiker 09-05-12 09:57 PM

A good woman (I am putting emphasis on the word good) is worth more than all the bikes on the face of the earth. If she was a good woman, I am glad she found out that she came second to your cycling before she married you.

Mr. Beanz 09-05-12 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker (Post 14696844)
A good woman (I am putting emphasis on the word good) is worth more than all the bikes on the face of the earth.


A good woman would be happy that you found a passion for such a hobby. An even better woman would hop on the bike and say, "Wait for me!"::D



Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker (Post 14696844)
I am glad she found out that she came second to your cycling before she married you.

I had a goal that begged me to marry her before I met Gina. Oh she loved me so!:p But she hated the fact that I enjoyed my active life style. She felt that my hobbies were childish and wanted me to quit playing sports. I never felt that enjoying a hobby put a woman second to anything, that's immaturity.

Couple years later I met Gina. She never asked me to quit anything. Matter of fact, she hopped on the bike too and it's been a wonderful life. If I had married that other gal, she would have been an old crabby useless bat by now! I've run into her a couple of times and yeah, I was right, she's is a lonesome old bat still blaming men for her unhappiness. ;)

I say move on and find something better! :thumb:

Flying Merkel 09-05-12 11:18 PM

Beanz, a good women is gold. A good women on a bicycle is platinum. You're the envy of many.

Mr. Beanz 09-05-12 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Merkel (Post 14697057)
Beanz, a good women is gold. A good women on a bicycle is platinum. You're the envy of many.

Thanks! :thumb:...See, if I had married that first chick, I wouldn't have ever been allowed to post on cycling forums. :roflmao:

iheartbacon 09-05-12 11:50 PM

The last few girls I dated were so bad I'm considering a vow of chastity. :lol: :roflmao2:

Machka 09-06-12 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeolis (Post 14696587)
Today my girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me citing my cycling addiction as the main reason. I tried to explain to her that it's better than smoking crack or cheating but she doesn't see it that way. Anyway now I have more time to ride before winter.

Anyone else have a similar experience of cycling getting in the way of a social life?

Speaking from the perspective of a woman ...

One of my "requirements" in a man was that he had to be active ... and preferably a cyclist.

If she was giving you trouble about your cycling, it's a good thing you've been set free to cycle. Go and enjoy life now. :)

MRT2 09-06-12 06:29 AM

There is some detail missing from the picture. Did you ignore your girlfriend because of your committment to cycling?

Coop500 09-06-12 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRT2 (Post 14697481)
There is some detail missing from the picture. Did you ignore your girlfriend because of your committment to cycling?

I have dated women in the past that considered riding even once a week as ignoring them. Twenty years ago I met a girl (now my wife) that understood that couples don't need to spend every waking second together and having some personal space can be a good thing in a relationship. Especially if you have different hobbies.

Of course if your other half can enjoy your hobbies with you it's even better. I know because in the last 5-6 years my wife started riding her own motorcycle and enjoys cycling too.

GrandaddyBiker 09-06-12 07:28 AM

When I go to bed at night, I have never had a desire to cuddle up to my bicycle but my woman, yes. When things are going wrong my bike has never whispered in my ear, “it ok sweetheart, everything is going to be ok”.

I am fortunate in that my wife has followed me in most all my hobbies. When I started flying my wife wanted to take flying lessons too so I got her into my flying club. When I got into scuba my wife made many a trip to Florida to do cave diving right alongside me. When I went deer hunting, I would be in my tree stand with my 270 Win and she would be in another stand with her 243 Win. If I were ever faced with the situation of having to make a choice between any of my hobbies or my wife, I would choose her.

The fact that my wife does not discourage me from pursuing what I want to do is not what makes her a good woman. My definition of a “good” woman is someone who knows the real me with all my faults and loves me anyway. You can’t put a price on that, at least I can’t.

hyhuu 09-06-12 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker (Post 14697636)
When I go to bed at night, I have never had a desire to cuddle up to my bicycle but my woman, yes. When things are going wrong my bike has never whispered in my ear, “it ok sweetheart, everything is going to be ok”.

I am fortunate in that my wife has followed me in most all my hobbies. When I started flying my wife wanted to take flying lessons too so I got her into my flying club. When I got into scuba my wife made many a trip to Florida to do cave diving right alongside me. When I went deer hunting, I would be in my tree stand with my 270 Win and she would be in another stand with her 243 Win. If I were ever faced with the situation of having to make a choice between any of my hobbies or my wife, I would choose her.

The fact that my wife does not discourage me from pursuing what I want to do is not what makes her a good woman. My definition of a “good” woman is someone who knows the real me with all my faults and loves me anyway. You can’t put a price on that, at least I can’t.

It's great to hear you got yourself a good woman. But your last paragrapgh is self-contradictory.

Machka 09-06-12 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker (Post 14696844)
A good woman (I am putting emphasis on the word good) is worth more than all the bikes on the face of the earth. If she was a good woman, I am glad she found out that she came second to your cycling before she married you.

But a garage full of bicycles and the freedom to cycle whenever you want is worth so much more than a partner who doesn't support you.

Aeolis 09-06-12 09:10 AM

When we first met she was enthusiastic about riding wwith me, I even bought her a good fitting bike. As time went on however she was more interested in partying and gettin messed up all the time. We're younger so it's different but I still wasn't cool with it and just prefered to do my own thing most of the time(ride mmy bike).

Some people like to stay in shshape and go to bed at 11pm and some want to smoke weed everyday and get wasted. I admit that I need to make more of an effort to have a normal 23 year old life but
im happy with what I'm doing right now. Looks like I'll have to sstart hitting the MUP again looking for a gal on a roadie ;)

Machka 09-06-12 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeolis (Post 14698063)
When we first met she was enthusiastic about riding wwith me, I even bought her a good fitting bike. As time went on however she was more interested in partying and gettin messed up all the time. We're younger so it's different but I still wasn't cool with it and just prefered to do my own thing most of the time(ride mmy bike).

Some people like to stay in shshape and go to bed at 11pm and some want to smoke weed everyday and get wasted. I admit that I need to make more of an effort to have a normal 23 year old life but
im happy with what I'm doing right now. Looks like I'll have to sstart hitting the MUP again looking for a gal on a roadie ;)


At least you'll be keeping your brain cells. Sounds like she's already done irreparable damage to hers.


http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoo...ry?id=12152238

lsberrios1 09-06-12 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeolis (Post 14698063)
When we first met she was enthusiastic about riding wwith me, I even bought her a good fitting bike. As time went on however she was more interested in partying and gettin messed up all the time. We're younger so it's different but I still wasn't cool with it and just prefered to do my own thing most of the time(ride mmy bike).

Some people like to stay in shshape and go to bed at 11pm and some want to smoke weed everyday and get wasted. I admit that I need to make more of an effort to have a normal 23 year old life but
im happy with what I'm doing right now. Looks like I'll have to sstart hitting the MUP again looking for a gal on a roadie ;)

Not wanting to sound like a total A hole but good thing you parted ways. Even though the "normal" 23 life nowadays is actualy smoking weed and drinking every day it is better to leave that behind as soon as possible. I am speaking for myself being 24yo so we are the same age. Been there done that and still paying for my mistakes thanks to my own stupid self and some not so good friends and exgf who drove me in that "normal life direction". Nowadays my life has changed for better but my friends decided to stay there and therefore I dont tend to hang out with them anymore. My life consists of three things, my fiancee, my motorcycle and my bicycle. If my fiancee didnt accept my life as it is with my hobbies, doesnt matter how good she was, I would probably kick her to the curb because she really loves you if she sees that are happy doing what you like to do. I couldnt live with myself and would probably had a crappy relationship if I wasnt able to do what I do. I get accused of neglect as well sometimes but whenever I can I dedicate time and do something really nice for her so she forgets about it. Good luck and keep on riding, you will find a better one that will actually get to go riding with you.

MightyLegnano 09-06-12 10:06 AM

The first real love of my sister was a crazy cyclist. He loooved bicycles. Actually he's the reason that I cycle today because he used to take me with him on spectacular mountain rides. After 3 years they started to have serious fights and the cause was the bicycle most of the times. At the end he dumped her and pursued his dream. Now he's a head mechanic in a very big bicycle shop in Athens and my sister married a crazy motocross biker from Australia and she's living the dream.

Sometimes two people are not meant to be together, because of bicycle or because of something else.

tagaproject6 09-06-12 10:22 AM

Just keep on riding and enjoy your freedom. You may someday find someone who will enjoy that freedom with you. :beer:

Flying Merkel 09-06-12 11:03 AM

I dated a gal who demanded constant attention. She didn't want me around all the time, but she expected me to stay at home by the phone at all times just in case. I was not to ask questions about her whereabouts.

Had sex with another women in her car. It was great. We broke up for some reason, can't remember why............

nashvillwill 09-06-12 11:10 AM

My wife doesn't like riding with me one bit, but she never questions me about why I do. She likes to run and I can't stand it. We are happily married, love our time together and our time apart.

Some couples live and breath each other, some dont. As long as there is mutual respect, either one can work.

The only thing (in my experience) that can't work, is two completely different directions in life. In your case, one person leading a healthy lifestyle, and the other slowly killing themself.

Rekless1 09-06-12 11:21 AM

Obviously that wasnt the reason. But it was nice that she let you down easy. ;)

danmc 09-06-12 12:34 PM

There is a compromise solution:


spinbackle 09-06-12 01:06 PM

danmc^^^^^^^

Does she have a sister?

danmc 09-06-12 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinbackle (Post 14698959)
danmc^^^^^^^

Does she have a sister?

A few. And if you're racist, there's even a white one :p

MRT2 09-06-12 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeolis (Post 14698063)
Some people like to stay in shshape and go to bed at 11pm and some want to smoke weed everyday and get wasted. I admit that I need to make more of an effort to have a normal 23 year old life but
im happy with what I'm doing right now. Looks like I'll have to sstart hitting the MUP again looking for a gal on a roadie ;)

OK, it sounds like you just had a natural parting of ways. Getting wasted every night, or even every weekend isn't much of a basis for a relationship.

I thought maybe you were truly obsessed with cycling to the detriment of everything else. In the future, you might find a girl who likes cycling but wants to do other things, too. And that is fine so long as there is give and take. If she goes riding with you, you might have to, occasionally, see a movie, a play, or catch an art opening with her.

GrandaddyBiker 09-06-12 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmc (Post 14698847)
There is a compromise solution:

Well if Dan ever gets to marry the bicycle, it won’t cost him a fortune it get a divorce. I had a friend once who had been married several times and was real bitter when it comes to women. He said to me one day, “James, if I ever decide to get married again, I will just find me a woman that I don’t like and buy her a house.”


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 AM.