Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member TwoFourOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which bike is better? Nashbar Steel Road Bike vs Raleigh Technium

    Just wondering if anyone with more knowledge can help me out here.

    I've been riding a cheap singlespeed from BD for almost a year now, and I want to upgrade to a multi-speed bike. I use my bike for general transportation (everywhere), and also just to ride for fun. I've looked at a lot of bikes and decided on this one:

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...11_-1___202339

    It's around $330-350 shipped. I like it because it's steel and has rack eyelets. I think I'll be okay with the DT shifters.

    On the other hand, this was recently posted on my local Craigslist. The used market here sucks because it's such a small town, but this looks decent. It's a Raleigh Technium

    http://treasure.craigslist.org/bik/3278730900.html

    He's asking $250, and it IS my size. The only bad parts are that it's aluminum (I've never ridden an aluminum bike and I'm not sure how harsh the ride is), and there are no rack eyelets. I'm assuming I can just order those P-clamps from online (or get them at a hardware store in my town), so that won't be a big problem, right?

    Assuming the Raleigh Technium is in decent mechanical shape, is it a better deal than the Steel Road Bike from Nashbar?

  2. #2
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,718
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it fits I'd say get the Raleigh. Great bike.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  3. #3
    Senior Member TwoFourOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    If it fits I'd say get the Raleigh. Great bike.
    Thanks for the post! Any particular reason why you say this? I can't find any sites where it lists the components.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very happy with my Raleigh Revenio. Try it and see if you like it.
    The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No telling until you see it what components will be on the Technium. There were many very different bikes sold under that model name. A friend has an old (late 80s) Aluminum Technium that he bought new and it's still going strong. The price is a bit high - that's maybe a $150 bike in a lot of markets - but I'd still personally have a modest preference for that one over the Nashbar. But I ride an old Raleigh, so I'm biased.

  6. #6
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,718
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFourOne View Post
    Thanks for the post! Any particular reason why you say this? I can't find any sites where it lists the components.
    The Raleigh Technium was a great bike. Its still a much sought after bike for those wanting a quality vintage bike.
    Check with the folks in the C&V forum for more detailed info.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  7. #7
    Senior Member TwoFourOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called and set up a test ride for Saturday!

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    633
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Cannot assume condition without really seeing it in front of me ..
    toss a coin../

  9. #9
    Gouge Away kaliayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    BFOH
    Posts
    951
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    The Raleigh Technium was a great bike. Its still a much sought after bike for those wanting a quality vintage bike.
    Check with the folks in the C&V forum for more detailed info.
    Not really to either. It's an ok bike that's not really sought after.
    2003 Stevenson Custom Cycles Sportive
    1978 Trek TX700
    1990 Trek 750
    All are frame/frame set builds.

  10. #10
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,279
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFourOne View Post
    Just wondering if anyone with more knowledge can help me out here.

    I've been riding a cheap singlespeed from BD for almost a year now, and I want to upgrade to a multi-speed bike. I use my bike for general transportation (everywhere), and also just to ride for fun. I've looked at a lot of bikes and decided on this one:

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...11_-1___202339

    It's around $330-350 shipped. I like it because it's steel and has rack eyelets. I think I'll be okay with the DT shifters.

    On the other hand, this was recently posted on my local Craigslist. The used market here sucks because it's such a small town, but this looks decent. It's a Raleigh Technium

    http://treasure.craigslist.org/bik/3278730900.html

    He's asking $250, and it IS my size. The only bad parts are that it's aluminum (I've never ridden an aluminum bike and I'm not sure how harsh the ride is), and there are no rack eyelets. I'm assuming I can just order those P-clamps from online (or get them at a hardware store in my town), so that won't be a big problem, right?

    Assuming the Raleigh Technium is in decent mechanical shape, is it a better deal than the Steel Road Bike from Nashbar?
    Always count on having to fix/repair anything you buy used so that cost will add in the purchase price.

    If it were me I'd buy the Nashbar bike and not worry about fixing someone else's problems. Besides, it a steel bike for a smoother ride.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  11. #11
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaliayev View Post
    Not really to either. It's an ok bike that's not really sought after.
    I used to say the same thing. Surprisingly the road bike Techniums are starting to catch on. Most people I know are buying the MTB Techniums as donor bikes. It's a shame because they're really a competent bike. Good luck on the search.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up my Technium for $30.00 at the local Goodwill. After some clean up and minor updating, it was good to go and is a pleasure to ride. Granted, I have no clue about the bike the OP asked about (can't make out the model number) but my understanding is that the Technium name meant steel forks and steel head tubes and chain stays bonded to the aluminum frame, making the bike light but keeping the quality of a steel frame ride. It's not quite as nice as an all steel bike, but it's close, IMO, and I love mine.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Always count on having to fix/repair anything you buy used so that cost will add in the purchase price.

    If it were me I'd buy the Nashbar bike and not worry about fixing someone else's problems.
    That's what I think too.

    The Technium is likely to have a Suntour drivetrain. That's fine for as long as everything works but, when one part wears out, you may find yourself chasing parts to find a combination that works together.

    Also - $250.00 for a 20+ year old so-so road bike?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •