Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-12, 05:16 AM   #1
PotBelliedMale
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any male got high Estrogen from serious cycling?

I have a very high estrogen of 132 pg/ml (max for men is 42 pg/ml) and I'm a die hard stationary cyclist. There was one study at UCLA http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...en-levels.html that found serious cyclists have very high estrogen in their blood. It is hard to believe and no explanation has been discoverd, but I'm afraid to cycle anymore because I wonder if it has been causing my very high estrogen. Has any other male here with high estrogen here read about that UCLA finding before and wondered the same?
I wanted to give up cycling for a month and try treadmilling instead and check the estrogen levels at the end of it, but I'm finding it very difficult because my body is cycling-fit and not running-fit so my joints and muscles get sore first before I reach the peak aerobic limits of my heart and lungs.
PotBelliedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 06:09 AM   #2
umazuki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes: Crossrip Elite, Bikesdirect tarck bike custom build
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clearly, we should stop cycling because we might all turn into girls !!!

Helpful response: what does your doctor say?
umazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 07:27 AM   #3
Rootman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Bikes: 2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your testosterone level? If the T level is OK does the high E level matter?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 07:34 AM   #4
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,944
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Make the best of the situation and see if you can get into Team Estrogen?

I've never heard of such a thing happening because of riding too much. I think it's more likely to be some unsuspected dietary factor or maybe getting something mixed up with your wife's menopause pills.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 07:45 AM   #5
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too much BPA in your water bottles? You may have a medical problem unrelated to your cycling.(From the OB/GYN nurse looking over my shoulder)
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 08:23 AM   #6
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Paraben in chamois cream! I knew there was a reason I didn't use the stuff...Knock off the tofu too.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 08:57 AM   #7
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
It's interesting how the study cites this possible problem only among cyclists and not triathletes, who do have considerable time on a bike, but they're also heavily involved in other activities.

Personally I'm skeptical, but in a sense it doesn't really matter to me, other than being a modest academic curiosity. And that's because I believe it's bad for the body to participate too much in one activity, not because of a concern a some chemical imbalance, rather muscular imbalance.

You say you spend a lot of time on a stationary bike, but how much time? I ride a bike on the roads every day between 20-30 miles per day and I have no problems with testosterone levels. However, I also do other things such as run, hike, lift weights, play frisbee.... But like I said, I don't believe that has anything to do with my chemical well-being.

There is no silver bullet to health; simply riding a bike, whether stationary or the real McCoy may lead to short term health, but in the long term it will break the body down. The problem with this approach is that you're exercising one particular batch of muscles and connective tissues in one manner, but other batches of muscles and connective tissue is not being equally exercised, which leads to an imbalance.

You say you can't run far enough, because of pain, that means you need to build up your body, it doesn't mean that you should STOP those activities. Contrary to popular belief, running is not bad for you. Incorrect running, yes, but when correctly done running is very good for the body. True health is not just a cardio issue, it also involves the skeletal system. Look at all the old people with joint problems, that's a big reason I exercise, to preclude many of those health issues, in addition to cardio health.
work4bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 09:28 AM   #8
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotBelliedMale View Post
I'm a die hard stationary cyclist.
I'm guessing your "T" problem predated your current choice of exercise.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 09:36 AM   #9
Datsun Nut
Member
 
Datsun Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Riverside -SoCAL
Bikes: My fun bike is my 2011 Diamondback Outlook, Mountain Bike with Hybird tires (26x1.5) I also have a 1965 Sears 3 Speed Cruiser in great condition, my wife has a Huffy - My +1 is a 26" Shimano Folding Bicycle Mountain Bike
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well that explains where my Big Boobs came from. I just wish it would have targeted my head and given me hair instead!
Datsun Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 09:58 AM   #10
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Fun fact: the other 4 of this troll's posts are about cycling-related impotency and knee pain caused by "real" bikes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 10:04 AM   #11
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,436
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
And the base line levels that were taken before ever cycling are...?

give me a break , it ain't science

isn't the Daily Mail a tabloid, just no page 3 girls like the Sun?

now if quoting the Lancet, a medical journal, that is different.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-03-12 at 10:07 AM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 10:06 AM   #12
dramiscram
ouate de phoque
 
dramiscram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St-CÚsaire, Qc, Canada
Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You eat too much mass-produced chicken
dramiscram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 01:26 PM   #13
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't mind growing a nice pair!
ben4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 07:41 PM   #14
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Fun fact: the other 4 of this troll's posts are about cycling-related impotency and knee pain caused by "real" bikes.
Glad someone is paying attention.
Seems to be an infrequent troll.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 12:39 AM   #15
commo_soulja
Senior Member
 
commo_soulja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: C-Ville
Bikes: are fun to ride
Posts: 1,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"I'm a die hard stationary cyclist"

wait, whuuut? WTF does that even mean?
commo_soulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 03:01 AM   #16
PotBelliedMale
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Glad someone is paying attention.
Seems to be an infrequent troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Fun fact: the other 4 of this troll's posts are about cycling-related impotency and knee pain caused by "real" bikes.
There can't be an infrequent troll. Yes I did make posts about fear of impotence from riding narrow saddled bikes, and knee pain from riding real cycle. I took actions - I switched to recumbent bike and stayed with it ever since, and raised the saddle height of the real cycle (which I use only for short distance travel and not for exercise purpose), and didn't bother coming back all these years because I don't have all the time in the world to be a keyboard jockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
And the base line levels that were taken before ever cycling are...?
give me a break , it ain't science
isn't the Daily Mail a tabloid, just no page 3 girls like the Sun?
now if quoting the Lancet, a medical journal, that is different.
It don't matter what their levels before cycling were, nor is it possible because they must have been cycling since their teenage. Comparison with recreational cyclists or non-cyclists is quite a valid comparison. Not only the dailymail but many other websites are quoting the UCLA study independently. Google for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
What is your testosterone level? If the T level is OK does the high E level matter?
I have normal total T of around 600 ng/dl but very very low free T of 3 pg/ml. Now Estradiol is 132 measued in the same pg/ml, so obviously the free T will be suppressed by this E2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I'm guessing your "T" problem predated your current choice of exercise.
Possible, but not sure. I have been cycling since 5 years. However I did have man boobs before that period and surgically removed it (unfortunately lost the hormone records of that time), but the ED problem is a recent development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umazuki View Post
Helpful response: what does your doctor say?
I don't respect Endocrine doctors and don't consult them anymore, I just go to the lab and order blood tests myself. Them Endos will call anything within the reference range as normal while reference ranges cover people of all ages and without regards to standard deviations. Now in my case the E2 is many times above the reference range, and they might actually prescribe Arimidex, but I don't need them for that either - I have placed order for Arimidex at the Chemist myself. Before it arrives I wanted to give up cycling for a while and find out if that was the culprit or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john gault View Post
. . .
You say you spend a lot of time on a stationary bike, but how much time? I ride a bike on the roads every day between 20-30 miles per day and I have no problems with testosterone levels. However, I also do other things such as run, hike, lift weights, play frisbee....
There is no silver bullet to health; simply riding a bike, whether stationary or the real McCoy may lead to short term health, but in the long term it will break the body down. The problem with this approach is that you're exercising one particular batch of muscles and connective tissues in one manner, but other batches of muscles and connective tissue is not being equally exercised, which leads to an imbalance.

You say you can't run far enough, because of pain, that means you need to build up your body, it doesn't mean that you should STOP those activities. Contrary to popular belief, running is not bad for you. Incorrect running, yes, but when correctly done running is very good for the body. True health is not just a cardio issue, it also involves the skeletal system. Look at all the old people with joint problems, that's a big reason I exercise, to preclude many of those health issues, in addition to cardio health.
I only ride stationary cycle, with a endurance setting of 10, so that is more tightness than a real cycle on the road. I do the boring 45 minute workout alternating with 14 minute ultra intense HIIT on alternate days. I agree one should alternate between a choice of cardio exercises (I do moderate weights as well), but only to shock the body and break the plateaue. Other than that I don't see how running is superior to cycling, because even running targets only the calf muscles which are smaller than the thigh muscles that cycling targets and builds. Cycling is far superior to running due to its non-impactness, and it is easier to do cutting edge stuff like HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on a cycle rather than while running (unless you are as sprint-fit as Bolt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun Nut View Post
Well that explains where my Big Boobs came from. I just wish it would have targeted my head and given me hair instead!
Can you get a E2 test and update me?

Last edited by PotBelliedMale; 10-04-12 at 04:23 AM.
PotBelliedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 05:31 AM   #17
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun Nut View Post
Well that explains where my Big Boobs came from. I just wish it would have targeted my head and given me hair instead!
This thread is useless without pictures.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 09:25 AM   #18
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotBelliedMale View Post
I only ride stationary cycle, with a endurance setting of 10, so that is more tightness than a real cycle on the road. I do the boring 45 minute workout alternating with 14 minute ultra intense HIIT on alternate days. I agree one should alternate between a choice of cardio exercises (I do moderate weights as well), but only to shock the body and break the plateaue. Other than that I don't see how running is superior to cycling, because even running targets only the calf muscles which are smaller than the thigh muscles that cycling targets and builds. Cycling is far superior to running due to its non-impactness, and it is easier to do cutting edge stuff like HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on a cycle rather than while running (unless you are as sprint-fit as Bolt)
I didn't say running is better than cycling; I don't really get into those discussions about which is better, to me it's a dog chasing his tail-type of discussion. However, the idea that running is bad for you is BS. That's just a marketing idea to get people to buy various types of exercise equipment. I've had knee pain in all the activities I've participated in, but my worse knee pain has been when cycling through the mountains on a loaded bike. Fact is most knee pain has nothing to do with impact, matter of fact, even today when my bad knee gives me problems, I reduce my cycling and run more, and that actually helps.

The fact that you can't run far enough to get a good aerobic workout proves that your body is in need of more running. Don't be afraid of impact that's part of life and our body has evolved to condition itself to deal with gravity. And unless you push your body to deal with it (gravity's effect on the body) it will only break you down with time, just look at all the old people who have problems with gravity.
work4bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 10:39 AM   #19
treadtread
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotBelliedMale View Post
I don't respect Endocrine doctors and don't consult them anymore, I just go to the lab and order blood tests myself. Them Endos will call anything within the reference range as normal while reference ranges cover people of all ages and without regards to standard deviations. Now in my case the E2 is many times above the reference range, and they might actually prescribe Arimidex, but I don't need them for that either - I have placed order for Arimidex at the Chemist myself. Before it arrives I wanted to give up cycling for a while and find out if that was the culprit or not.
You don't respect doctors about medical issues and ask on a bike forum for medical advice/opinions?
treadtread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 02:55 PM   #20
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Since you're writing the presciptions, why would you want to use Arimidex instead of Clomid?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 10:20 AM   #21
bikebreak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Do some weight lifting to increase testosterone

Also quit eating soy (estrogen source and in many industrial foods) and eat red meat
bikebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 11:05 AM   #22
TampaRaleigh
Senior Member
 
TampaRaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadtread View Post
You don't respect doctors about medical issues and ask on a bike forum for medical advice/opinions?
+1
TampaRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 04:37 PM   #23
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
Posts: 4,170
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Are you a vegeterian ?? If you are then stop being a vegeterian and start eating meat and other animal products, also do some resistence training such as lifting weights/bodyweight excercises. Lifting heavy weights stimulates testestorone production.
wolfchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 07:39 PM   #24
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly
 
Myosmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Minnesota
Bikes:
Posts: 2,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So they allow just anyone to order aromatase reuptake inhibitors over the counter at the local chemist (pharmacy to those of us in the USA)? I takes a prescription here.
Myosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 09:19 PM   #25
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,934
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Hmmm... he's also ordering his own blood tests at the local lab. He might have a career in the making as Lance Armstrong.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 PM.