Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-12, 03:02 PM   #1
yonekura
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good steel frames with 1" head tube (question)

Does anyone know of good steel frames with cantilever posts or disc tabs 700c wheel size. In the 3.5 Lb ish weight range. I am having trouble finding one. I do not know where to look and custom frames are too expensive. New frames all have 1 1/8" head tubes. I do not suppose anyone knows of frame that meets those requirements?
yonekura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 04:35 PM   #2
lungimsam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This looks like it might fit the bill in 58cm size an up for 700c wheels:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/f-atlantis.htm

Takes a 1" quill stem, looks like it has the canti braze ons. But don't know the weight. Give them a call.

Look at their other bikes, too.
lungimsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 04:52 PM   #3
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,308
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonekura View Post
Does anyone know of good steel frames with cantilever posts or disc tabs 700c wheel size. In the 3.5 Lb ish weight range. I am having trouble finding one. I do not know where to look and custom frames are too expensive. New frames all have 1 1/8" head tubes. I do not suppose anyone knows of frame that meets those requirements?
What's the problem with 1 1/8" head tubes? If you buy a frame with a 1" head tube, you may find trouble finding stems further down the road. It's certainly difficult to find a 1" threadless stem and there aren't a lot of good quality 1" threaded stems on the market. If you happen to need a fork...it happens...finding one in a 1" size is next to impossible.

1" stems are also more flexible because they are thinner. Hard effort out of the saddle can cause handlebars attached to 1" threaded stem to flex as much as an inch at the ends of the bars, depending on quality of the stem. A 1 1/8" threaded stem is stiffer (a good thing) and a 1 1/8" threadless is even stiffer. With a 1 1/8" threadless, the bars themselves are more flexible than the stem/steer tube is.

The larger diameter headtube will also make for a stronger frame that will track better. A 1 1/8" steel tube is stiff enough to resist all kinds of frame flex and that makes for a better handling bike. If you want disc tabs, forget about the 1" entirely. I don't think anyone would make such a beast.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 06:33 PM   #4
IthaDan 
Senior Member
 
IthaDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Bikes: Click on the #YOLO
Posts: 4,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonekura View Post
Does anyone know of good steel frames with cantilever posts or disc tabs 700c wheel size. In the 3.5 Lb ish weight range. I am having trouble finding one. I do not know where to look and custom frames are too expensive. New frames all have 1 1/8" head tubes. I do not suppose anyone knows of frame that meets those requirements?
Any one of the gazillion used touring or 'cross bikes out there?

Why are you so stuck on the 1" headtube? Do you have an heirloom cinelli 1A or something?
__________________

Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang
IthaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 06:48 PM   #5
yonekura
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IthaDan View Post
Any one of the gazillion used touring or 'cross bikes out there?

Why are you so stuck on the 1" headtube? Do you have an heirloom cinelli 1A or something?
Kinda, I have some expensive parts that are new specifically for a 1 inch head-tube. Although they are thread-less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
Should be 1,000,001 out there used.




Tom

Yes, I know there is lots of used bikes out there, but ones are known to have a good frame worth time and money to build up. I am not as familiar with older bikes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
What's the problem with 1 1/8" head tubes? If you buy a frame with a 1" head tube, you may find trouble finding stems further down the road. It's certainly difficult to find a 1" threadless stem and there aren't a lot of good quality 1" threaded stems on the market. If you happen to need a fork...it happens...finding one in a 1" size is next to impossible.

1" stems are also more flexible because they are thinner. Hard effort out of the saddle can cause handlebars attached to 1" threaded stem to flex as much as an inch at the ends of the bars, depending on quality of the stem. A 1 1/8" threaded stem is stiffer (a good thing) and a 1 1/8" threadless is even stiffer. With a 1 1/8" threadless, the bars themselves are more flexible than the stem/steer tube is.

The larger diameter headtube will also make for a stronger frame that will track better. A 1 1/8" steel tube is stiff enough to resist all kinds of frame flex and that makes for a better handling bike. If you want disc tabs, forget about the 1" entirely. I don't think anyone would make such a beast.
While I have nothing against the 1 1/8" standard used today as the defacto standard. I doubt that an 1/8" of inch makes much of a difference in steer tube strength. So I would say there factor of safety is pretty much equivalent. I could understand the difference though in strength with thread-less style stem vs thread stem. A threaded stem must fit into the steer tube making it much smaller while a thread-less fits over the steer tube making it larger, yet you still can do a 1" thread-less stem. They make the forks and headsets still and if you have trouble finding a stem I can always shim it anyways. I am just looking for suggestions for what I specified I do not need to evangelized. I have my reasons. I am just having trouble finding a reasonably priced frame.
yonekura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 07:12 PM   #6
IthaDan 
Senior Member
 
IthaDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Bikes: Click on the #YOLO
Posts: 4,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonekura View Post
Kinda, I have some expensive parts that are new specifically for a 1 inch head-tube. Although they are thread-less.
http://problemsolversbike.com/produc...dtube_reducers

Part# HD9901
__________________

Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang
IthaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 07:48 PM   #7
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 20,039
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
Should be 1,000,001 out there used.


Tom
Cantilevers or disk tabs would probably make that number a lot lower.

Maybe the Touring or C & V forums ?
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike
Homebrew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 08:42 AM   #8
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,308
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonekura View Post
I am just having trouble finding a reasonably priced frame.
And you will continue to have problems finding a reasonably priced new frame with a 1" headset. They just aren't made. There are a couple of new frames made that have threaded headset like the Rivendell but you can't get them with threadless forks. In the used market, you can probably find the frame but the fork isn't going to be threadless, either.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 PM.