Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-12, 09:13 PM   #1
nonlinear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Best way to lock a seat on the cheap?

For the lat couple of months, I've been commuting to a new job and locking my bike in a high theft area. I've been taking my quick release seat with me, but I'm growing tired of this and would like to lock my seat to my bike. Can anyone recommend a good secure method for cheap?

I'm considering a cable lock that I can secure with my u-lock. These go for as cheap as $3 on amazon, but I'm not sure if those are easily broken or not. Is there a minimum diameter I should look for?

Also, what is the cheapest place to find something like that. If anyone can recommend a specific model, that would be great!

Thanks!
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 09:25 PM   #2
revolator
ROAD enthusiast
 
revolator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bat Cave
Bikes:
Posts: 708
Cables are easy to cut. Switch to an allen bolt seat clamp, and use old chain to secure the seat. If it's an expensive seat, it will only slow them down. Read comments from this link
Get the cheapest seat that works for you, and that should hopefully solve your problems, and if it's stolen, it's not a big loss.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg saddle1[1].jpg (99.6 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by revolator; 10-10-12 at 09:35 PM. Reason: adding additional information
revolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 10:21 PM   #3
nonlinear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 62
It's just a stock Trek seat, but I live in an area with a huge bike theft problem. I'm 60 miles from Mexico, and there are organized bike theft rings that steal anything and everything from bikes. The bikes and parts are sent to Mexico, where they are used for illegal border crossings and drug smuggling. I'm not kidding, they'll steal bikes or even just parts that would be considered worthless by the normal person.
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 11:45 PM   #4
catonec 
Senior Member
 
catonec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: burlington VT.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,472
$20 ebay, gets you a set of locking wheel skewers and seat post binder. they use a specialty key to open

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOCK-N-ROLL-...item5895d1d122
__________________
2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac
catonec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 07:52 AM   #5
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlinear View Post
It's just a stock Trek seat.
Every bike shop in the world has a box of those things that they'll sell for around $5.00 or $10.00.

Ever hear of a "rabbit garden"? Buy a junk seat and a cheap Kalloy seatpost and keep it at work. That way, if the thieves steal your saddle, they may be happy to escape with just that and you can plug in your spare and cycle on home. If you totally frustrate the thieves, they may decide to stomp one of your wheels just to show you who's boss.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 01:59 PM   #6
RobertL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 557
Any chance of bringing the bike into your work place office or shop?
RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 02:01 PM   #7
nonlinear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertL View Post
Any chance of bringing the bike into your work place office or shop?
unfortunately no - we actually have safety people who do random checks for this, and issue $250 tickets for having bikes inside.
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 08:09 PM   #8
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlinear View Post
unfortunately no - we actually have safety people who do random checks for this, and issue $250 tickets for having bikes inside.
Unfair and illegal labor practice. I call shinagins on this one.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 08:18 PM   #9
nonlinear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
Unfair and illegal labor practice. I call shinagins on this one.
Lol now we have a lawyer in ths house. Seriously, do you think I'd make something like that up just to lie on an Internet forum? Get a life buddy.
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 10:58 AM   #10
Wolfwerx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
Unfair and illegal labor practice. I call shinagins on this one.


Agree. Who the hell would pay that "ticket"? What happens if they don't? Do they go to jail?
Oooh, would a 3-strike repeat offender get a life-sentence for illegally parking a bike?

HAHAHAHAHA.
Wolfwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 02:57 PM   #11
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,639
I can't remember who first suggested this. Assuming you have a chain tool and have (or can get from your LBS) an old chain, break the chain into an appropriately sized piece. Loop the chain through the seat rail, then down under the seat tube/seat stay junction, and reassemble. Chances a prospective thief will have a chain tool are vanishingly small, and chains are tough to saw or cut. If you're worried about the frame, run the chain through a piece of old inner tube first.
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 03:31 PM   #12
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,082
A bolt and nut, if it spins, then you need 2 wrenches to remove it.

+ get another saddle Naugahyde/Pleather will be better in the wet..

Of course if you got a Brompton and the cover bag,
you can park it under your desk in that cubicle..

Bike parking Ticket? You work for the Maricopa Co. Sheriff?

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-12-12 at 03:35 PM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 05:05 PM   #13
nonlinear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwerx View Post
Agree. Who the hell would pay that "ticket"? What happens if they don't? Do they go to jail?
Oooh, would a 3-strike repeat offender get a life-sentence for illegally parking a bike?

HAHAHAHAHA.
I work at at large university with 40,000 undergraduates. The campus operates much like a city, and if you don't pay the fine your bike can be impounded. If you are a student, you will also be prevented form registering and/or graduating until the fines are paid.

Last edited by nonlinear; 10-12-12 at 05:31 PM.
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 11:20 PM   #14
Closed Office
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Bikes:
Posts: 679
Personally I don't like quick release anything. I replaced my seat qr with a quarter inch bolt that happened to take a 10 mm wrench That should be a very safe combination anywhere in the States.

Fortunately my bikes get locked in rather safe areas. I haven't needed anything else for the seat.
Closed Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 03:02 PM   #15
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,859
DieselDan has a point. How does a having a bicycle inside violate any kind of laws or safety practices. If your employer is using this as a ruse and there is no actual rule about bicycles, and the $250 fine refers to any safety violation, you may want to look further. It's not that we think you are lying, but rather that you are being lied to.

In any case, I find it hard to believe that there isn't a place that the bike won't fit into, unless the employer just doesn't like them and is using the safety inspections as a pretext. But there you can get stuck, because it is their business and they can set the rules.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 10-13-12 at 03:06 PM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 03:14 PM   #16
nonlinear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
DieselDan has a point. How does a having a bicycle inside violate any kind of laws or safety practices. If your employer is using this as a ruse and there is no actual rule about bicycles, and the $250 fine refers to any safety violation, you may want to look further. It's not that we think you are lying, but rather that you are being lied to.

In any case, I find it hard to believe that there isn't a place that the bike won't fit into, unless the employer just doesn't like them and is using the safety inspections as a pretext. But there you can get stuck, because it is their business and they can set the rules.
Did you read my post? It's the UNiversity of Arizona. Google it if you don't believe me. This forum, more than any other, Is filled with jerks. I can't believe there are like 5 people arguing with me about s university regulation, instead of answering my question about a seat lock. Get a ****ing life, Jesus!
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 03:40 PM   #17
IthaDan 
Senior Member
 
IthaDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Bikes: Click on the #YOLO
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
I can't remember who first suggested this. Assuming you have a chain tool and have (or can get from your LBS) an old chain, break the chain into an appropriately sized piece. Loop the chain through the seat rail, then down under the seat tube/seat stay junction, and reassemble. Chances a prospective thief will have a chain tool are vanishingly small, and chains are tough to saw or cut. If you're worried about the frame, run the chain through a piece of old inner tube first.
This is what I was going to post. Do this.
__________________

Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang
IthaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 03:42 PM   #18
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlinear View Post
Did you read my post? It's the UNiversity of Arizona. Google it if you don't believe me. This forum, more than any other, Is filled with jerks. I can't believe there are like 5 people arguing with me about s university regulation, instead of answering my question about a seat lock. Get a ****ing life, Jesus!
Relax. We are trying to help, and bringing your bike with indoors is one of the best ways to prevent seat theft, so it's a valid thread of inquiry. You are right, I did miss post #15, my apologies. Even so, that does not automatically preclude being able to park your bike indoors.

As for other ways to deal with the subject, it seems like most of your possible options are being laid out. Cheaper seat, cable locks, bolts, bicycle chains, bring it indoors. You've got a variety of options. DieselDan had no way of knowing where you work, so I think his comments are justified.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 10-13-12 at 10:01 PM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 04:21 PM   #19
AlabamaCommuter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 36
https://parking.arizona.edu/citation...s_nonmotor.php

Looks like it is a $20 fine, not $250.
AlabamaCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 01:44 PM   #20
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
The best solution is to use an allen-head bolt and a nut, and use a drill with a diameter slightly larger than the size of the allen key required to remove the flats from the bolt, and use a grinder to file the flats on the nut down to a smooth cone shape. Make sure you have your seat height exactly where you want it before you damage the fasteners because you will have to drill out the remainder of the bolt to remove it for adjustment.
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 07:16 PM   #21
nonlinear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
The best solution is to use an allen-head bolt and a nut, and use a drill with a diameter slightly larger than the size of the allen key required to remove the flats from the bolt, and use a grinder to file the flats on the nut down to a smooth cone shape. Make sure you have your seat height exactly where you want it before you damage the fasteners because you will have to drill out the remainder of the bolt to remove it for adjustment.
great idea, thanks!
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 07:37 PM   #22
Wolfvegas
Senior Member
 
Wolfvegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, CANADA
Bikes: CCM 21 speed big box special.....
Posts: 237
check out my thread on boardrunners
Wolfvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 07:44 PM   #23
erig007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 6367 km away from the center of the Earth
Bikes:
Posts: 1,664
You have 2 bolt to take care of.
The one between the saddle and the seatpost.
The one between the seatpost and the frame.
Solder or glue them with epoxy.
Soldering as the advantage that you can remove them easily with heat

Last edited by erig007; 10-21-12 at 07:58 PM.
erig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 08:01 PM   #24
Digital_Cowboy
Senior Member
 
Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997
Posts: 9,302
Would it be possible to bring your bike inside where you work?

On my Hardrock I iceman OnGuard cable to secure my saddle to my bike. You can replace the quick release with either a locking or allen key clamp. Or you can continue to simply remove the saddle and carrying it inside with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlinear View Post
For the lat couple of months, I've been commuting to a new job and locking my bike in a high theft area. I've been taking my quick release seat with me, but I'm growing tired of this and would like to lock my seat to my bike. Can anyone recommend a good secure method for cheap?

I'm considering a cable lock that I can secure with my u-lock. These go for as cheap as $3 on amazon, but I'm not sure if those are easily broken or not. Is there a minimum diameter I should look for?

Also, what is the cheapest place to find something like that. If anyone can recommend a specific model, that would be great!

Thanks!
Digital_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 08:06 PM   #25
Digital_Cowboy
Senior Member
 
Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997
Posts: 9,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlinear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
Unfair and illegal labor practice. I call shinagins on this one.
Lol now we have a lawyer in ths house. Seriously, do you think I'd make something like that up just to lie on an Internet forum? Get a life buddy.
I suggest that you contact your local labor board to learn the truth on this. You'd be surprise at how many companies do things like this, cause they know that they aren't going to be challenged on it.
Digital_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.