Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need some advice off people experienced with delivering newspapers on a bike..

    Hey guys! Well about a week ago i started a paper round delivering about 150 newspapers a day. However i do know which way i have to go so getting around isn't the problem but it always seems to take longer than it should really need to. I need to be done before 7am and i start at about 5, i don't seem to finish until like 7:45 though. Why is it taking me so damn long??

    I use a bike pretty much and here is what i do.
    I take the list out of my pocket, read what paper is needed, cycle there, get off my bike, take out the paper and deliver it, then get back on my bike again and carry on.

    Is the getting off my bike/looking at list the thing slowing me down? I have considered leaving my bike somewhere and running/jogging from address to address, keeping a few papers in a satchel.. However i'm afraid that this will only serve to slow me down even further.

    I want to be a good reliable delivery worker but i just can't seem to gain any extra time...

    Do any of you have any advice on how i could maybe do things differently? Perhaps not keep the list in my pocket but in my hand at all times? Jog/run from address to address with a few papers in my satchel?

    I don't live in America so throwing the paper at the front door step just isn't an option at all, each one must be delivered through the letterbox..

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memorize the route ASAP, if you have a bunch together then using a satchel might be quicker than running back and forth to the bike. When I delivered papers I had a couple of apartment complexes, I would park the bike and grab a bag to walk the complex. Then back to the bike and down the road to the next one. Roughly 1/3 of my papers went to apartments the rest to single family homes, most were delivered to the doorstep, some could be thrown. Don't recall how long my route took...it was a long time ago.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    Memorize the route ASAP, if you have a bunch together then using a satchel might be quicker than running back and forth to the bike. When I delivered papers I had a couple of apartment complexes, I would park the bike and grab a bag to walk the complex. Then back to the bike and down the road to the next one. Roughly 1/3 of my papers went to apartments the rest to single family homes, most were delivered to the doorstep, some could be thrown. Don't recall how long my route took...it was a long time ago.

    Aaron
    I pretty much have the route memorized and a lot of the houses are close together so i guess a satchel would be the best idea...

  4. #4
    Crispy Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Open the Bag and Eat Me.
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,975
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oOCaptainCrazyO View Post
    I pretty much have the route memorized and a lot of the houses are close together so i guess a satchel would be the best idea...
    As long as it doesn't clash with your shoes? Who cares, sweety.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Porteur bikes, were the Paris solution, for wholesale bundles carriied on the front rack..

    maybe add a cue sheet holder on the bars.and a good K stand
    & front Spring to hold the front centered.

  6. #6
    Senior Member bud16415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Erie Penna.
    Posts
    1,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an old newsie let’s take a look at how you are doing. 150 papers in 2 hours 45 minutes now or 165 minutes. That’s 165/150=1.1 papers per minute or 66 seconds per paper. Your goal is two hours or 120 minutes 120/150=.8 papers per minute or 48 seconds per paper. So you are faced with improving each delivery by 18 seconds is all. That sounds easy enough until you figure that’s about a 25% improvement over what you now feel is giving it your best effort.

    In this type of problem you have to take into account the time you expend that is fixed and can’t be changed easily things like riding your bike from point A to point B and things that can be improved like memory vs list etc. To get 25% out of the total time by shortening or eliminating these little short times will help but you will need a lot of them to get to 18 seconds per house.

    Then there is the option of route modification. We don’t know your route so that’s hard to help with. The US postal service in city delivery gives each worker a vehicle but they do their delivery mostly on foot. They carefully choose a starting point and have mail sorted for a small area where their foot route starts and ends at the same point or close to it. They then move and reload the next section into a hand carry bag and repeat. If your route is stretched out and you park grab a series of papers ending a great distance from your bike having to run back only to retrace those steps on the bike I doubt you will save much time. Getting a good map and reviewing it thinking about your foot speed vs bike speed you could model your 150 stops and on paper find the savings in time and then try it out and see how badly it beats you up.

    IMHO I think you are doing very well at the 1.1 papers per minute and maybe set a goal for 1.0 per minute. For now I would start at 4:15 am.
    What's not in your legs needs to be in your gears.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
    As an old newsie letís take a look at how you are doing. 150 papers in 2 hours 45 minutes now or 165 minutes. Thatís 165/150=1.1 papers per minute or 66 seconds per paper. Your goal is two hours or 120 minutes 120/150=.8 papers per minute or 48 seconds per paper. So you are faced with improving each delivery by 18 seconds is all. That sounds easy enough until you figure thatís about a 25% improvement over what you now feel is giving it your best effort.

    In this type of problem you have to take into account the time you expend that is fixed and canít be changed easily things like riding your bike from point A to point B and things that can be improved like memory vs list etc. To get 25% out of the total time by shortening or eliminating these little short times will help but you will need a lot of them to get to 18 seconds per house.

    Then there is the option of route modification. We donít know your route so thatís hard to help with. The US postal service in city delivery gives each worker a vehicle but they do their delivery mostly on foot. They carefully choose a starting point and have mail sorted for a small area where their foot route starts and ends at the same point or close to it. They then move and reload the next section into a hand carry bag and repeat. If your route is stretched out and you park grab a series of papers ending a great distance from your bike having to run back only to retrace those steps on the bike I doubt you will save much time. Getting a good map and reviewing it thinking about your foot speed vs bike speed you could model your 150 stops and on paper find the savings in time and then try it out and see how badly it beats you up.

    IMHO I think you are doing very well at the 1.1 papers per minute and maybe set a goal for 1.0 per minute. For now I would start at 4:15 am.

    Thanks for the reply! Well my round is pretty much laid out in order which means i can go from street to street. It's split into two parts, i started the first week doing the first route, to get used to the round.. I now know that route pretty darn well, i can go to a street and i instantly know which numbers i need to go to on them streets without hesitation.

    The second half (which i have to now do first..) is pretty much intertwined into the second part but the list says i need to do the second part first, THEN go and start at the first part. Yet i'm asking myself, if the streets are so damn closed together why can't i just combine the two together? I really want to do it but i'm afraid that it'll be even more time consuming. Like sometimes on the second route i'll see a street i need papers delivered to on the first route and i think "If i just quickly peddled down there i could deliver them and save time later..." Pretty much there's a long street that i have to deliver to as well and the streets of my second route are branched off from that street in intervals of about 100ft spacing. It does mean i'd have to mark each address off if i were top pursue this method.

    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    maybe add a cue sheet holder on the bars
    I really have considered that but i don't know where to find the damn things! lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    As long as it doesn't clash with your shoes? Who cares, sweety.
    Thanks for the fashion tips, Vera Wang! I wear steel toe capped boots so if anybody out there doesn't take your fashion advice seriously i'll give 'em a couple of swift kicks!

  8. #8
    Senior Member bud16415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Erie Penna.
    Posts
    1,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your list is governed by some people saying I will take a paper if you can get it to me by such and such a time. People like to take paper with them to work etc.

    There is no penalty for getting someone’s paper to them too soon but a huge penalty for not getting the early run on time. The answer again may be starting early, giving yourself time to grab those close second runs while close without putting your early run late.

    Don’t waste your time on the list holder because I’m getting the feeling you will have it down without it soon.
    What's not in your legs needs to be in your gears.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
    Sounds like your list is governed by some people saying I will take a paper if you can get it to me by such and such a time. People like to take paper with them to work etc.

    There is no penalty for getting someoneís paper to them too soon but a huge penalty for not getting the early run on time. The answer again may be starting early, giving yourself time to grab those close second runs while close without putting your early run late.

    Donít waste your time on the list holder because Iím getting the feeling you will have it down without it soon.
    The problem is i get up at 3:30 every morning and i'm at "the office" by 4.. However the guy in charge takes it upon himself to count the papers and give them to me and he doesn't get there until 4:15 which really sucks. Yesterday i tried quickly counting my own papers but he still ended up doing the other ones for me! Problem is i've noticed that he makes mistakes, i end up with addresses and no papers because he didn't put enough in and then, in turn, this results in him checking "my work" from the previous day to see if anybody complained.

  10. #10
    The Fat Guy In The Back Tundra_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My Bikes
    '02 Giant Boulder, '08 Felt S32
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No good advice for you, but the thread brought back memories of when I was a paperboy. A few years ago I wrote up my musings on the subject for my website: http://tundraman.com/Other/PaperRoute/index.php
    '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork

    Visit me at the Tundra Man Workshop

  11. #11
    Senior Member bigbadwullf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West, Tn.
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys don't have newspapers on internet? Sorry. Had to go there.

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

    2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

  12. #12
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grid Reference, SK
    My Bikes
    I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
    Posts
    3,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
    As an old newsie let’s take a look at how you are doing. 150 papers in 2 hours 45 minutes now or 165 minutes. That’s 165/150=1.1 papers per minute or 66 seconds per paper. Your goal is two hours or 120 minutes 120/150=.8 papers per minute or 48 seconds per paper. So you are faced with improving each delivery by 18 seconds is all. That sounds easy enough until you figure that’s about a 25% improvement over what you now feel is giving it your best effort.

    In this type of problem you have to take into account the time you expend that is fixed and can’t be changed easily things like riding your bike from point A to point B and things that can be improved like memory vs list etc. To get 25% out of the total time by shortening or eliminating these little short times will help but you will need a lot of them to get to 18 seconds per house.

    Then there is the option of route modification. We don’t know your route so that’s hard to help with. The US postal service in city delivery gives each worker a vehicle but they do their delivery mostly on foot. They carefully choose a starting point and have mail sorted for a small area where their foot route starts and ends at the same point or close to it. They then move and reload the next section into a hand carry bag and repeat. If your route is stretched out and you park grab a series of papers ending a great distance from your bike having to run back only to retrace those steps on the bike I doubt you will save much time. Getting a good map and reviewing it thinking about your foot speed vs bike speed you could model your 150 stops and on paper find the savings in time and then try it out and see how badly it beats you up.

    IMHO I think you are doing very well at the 1.1 papers per minute and maybe set a goal for 1.0 per minute. For now I would start at 4:15 am.
    Your math is all backwards.

  13. #13
    Senior Member bud16415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Erie Penna.
    Posts
    1,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
    Your math is all backwards.
    Backward math is very commonly used in the federal government.

    The most common example is the well-known fact that 9 women can have a baby in one month.

    I know, I know it’s hard to believe but the math will back me up.
    What's not in your legs needs to be in your gears.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •