Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-12, 10:47 PM   #1
redeyedtreefr0g
Mrs. Hop-along
Thread Starter
 
redeyedtreefr0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seville, FL
Bikes: Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apartment Parking Annoyance

Is it wrong to be annoyed? Here is the situation:

My husband and I use our bicycles right now for our sole transportation. I sent an email to the office asking for permission to use the space in our breezeway to park our bikes. This way come wintertime they would be protected from the elements and not covered in snow or frozen to the other bikes locked up out there. There are plenty of bicycle racks provided, however. The two racks outside our building see very little use- only 3 bikes divided between them at a given time while some others in the complex have bikes literally piled on top of each other.

There is a small boy with a cute Jeep bicycle with training wheels who locked the small bike up to the railing one day about a month after our bikes had their new home. My husband happened to be out to work and the small bike was in the way. I was annoyed. It didn't take long for me to find out that it belongs to the family right above us. I asked nicely one day and they agreed to lock it up to the top rail rather than the corner where it was blocking my husband's bike. On the top rail, the bike can be slid out of the way. I suppose I was happy with that.

The bike very rarely moves at all- the boy almost never rides it. I had my trailer folded up and under the first few steps where is the least vertical room. Today I got it out, dusted it off and added a floor to it. I found out the flaw in my design because it no longer folds flat. So, I slid the boy's bike close under the stairs and took the wheels off the trailer to scoot it under the railing, replaced the wheels and the trailer was now parked closest within the railing space to our bicycles, with the boy's bike still easily accessible.

Well, I came back from walking the dogs and my trailer had been shoved closer to the stairs with the top of it nearly rubbing the concrete, and the boy's bike was back closest to our bicycles. There is plenty of room, so this really annoys me. Not only did they move my stuff (which I had done, I understand) but they could have damaged the trailer. That fabric is very easily ripped and the thing is practically new. I was very careful moving the little boys bike even though he obviously bangs it around plenty. I don't want to have to move his bike every time I need the trailer.


Should I be annoyed that the kid is locking his bike up to a place I specifically requested for our use? In our previous apartments the office did not allow bikes parked there and claimed it a fire hazard, but we are extremely careful not to have anything sticking out in a walkway to trip anyone. Being that there are plenty of other places to park, I feel the boy's bike shouldn't be locked up there, or the thing is light enough to carry it upstairs. He barely uses it at all, and my bike is used every single weekday. I feel that I am entitled to the space because I asked very nicely for it. I'm worried that if I say anything to the office, they might say that no one can park there anymore, though. I'm also nearly certain that if I say anything to the boy's dad, that he will get antagonistic about it.

What should I do? Move the trailer back and use the corner to lock it, so that it cannot be slid back under those lowest steps? Speak nicely to the office and explain exactly what I've written here?


The blue and green bikes represent my husband's and mine. The light green is obviously my trailer, and the red bike is the little boy's. That's how I had it arranged this morning since I could no longer fold the trailer down flat. I hope to fix that eventually, but at the same time, I'll be trying to use it more to take my dogs to the park, so I don't want it hard to get to. As it was, I had to move the boy's bike just to have space to maneuver the trailer out this morning without running it over. The black section is representative of the space under the stair which has a railing around it, while the gray shows how the tallest steps are above us.

Attached Images
File Type: png APT.png (16.1 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by redeyedtreefr0g; 11-05-12 at 07:41 PM. Reason: removed irrelevant details
redeyedtreefr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 02:41 AM   #2
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I do not see any reason for you to be annoyed. Seems the area should be first come.

Since you do not use the cars much, I would park the trailer and and maybe even a bicycle in them. I would go so far as trading one car in for a cargo van that could hold both bicycles and the trailer.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 09:06 AM   #3
rogerstg
Fred-ish
 
rogerstg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Bikes:
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
I feel that I am entitled to the space
Even though you are hogging so much space compared with one little kid's bike? That's how the neighbors probably see it.

You might get more cooperation from the neighbors if you take the attitude that they are entitled to the space. My strategy would be to open a discussion by apologizing to them for having to move the kid's bike, and wanting to know what they think might be the best set up for parking and storing the bikes and trailers.

This should lead to a dialog of each others needs and possibly lead to a better accommodation.

People are usually more cooperative when they are told they are right than when told they are wrong (even though they may have been wrong all along).

Good luck.

Last edited by rogerstg; 11-05-12 at 09:09 AM.
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 10:25 AM   #4
clarkbre
Senior Member
 
clarkbre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
Being that there are plenty of other places to park, I feel the boy's bike shouldn't be locked up there, or the thing is light enough to carry it upstairs.
The boy (and his parents) have just as equal rights as you and your husband to freely park his bike wherever they want on an unassigned bike parking rack.


You feel you are "entitled" to the spots? What made you and your husband such high and mighty renters to be above a 5 year old with training wheels? My guess is that they have the same lease and rent that you have with access to whatever bike parking is available. If I were them, I would be questioning why a couple is harassing my 5 year old about his small bike when the couple is parking 3 times as much on the same rack. Why not take your own suggestion and you guys haul your bikes into your apartment so you're not hogging the bike rack for the other renters to use?

Realistically, you need to get over it and learn to share (sounds like something I'd say to a 5 year old...). What is sounds like is that you are parking 3 of the 4 items locked to the bike rack and you're still *****ing about a small bike with training wheels.

No offense, but I would re-evaluate the situation long and hard. You're starting a battle and losing a war. When all this pans out, you and your husband will look like A$$HOLES (actually kind of already do)!. Why...because you are preparing to hassle a 5 year old about a bike that is legally parked and that you have moved for your convenience. However, you and your husband are taking up 2 spots in the parking lot cars that don't operate.
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 11:00 AM   #5
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,766
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Sounds to me that it is a public area. Other people saw your bicycles etc. there, and figured that everyone was allowed to park their bicycles etc. there. If you make a fuss about it, the building manager will very likely tell you that no one will be allowed to park bicycles there.

CBHI has a good idea ... park your stuff in your cars (or in front of your cars along the parking lot fence, under a tarp). Or take the bicycles up to your apartment.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 11:05 AM   #6
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I drive a school bus. This sounds like the kind of thing I deal with every day.

My elementary kids are constantly jockeying over the seating arrangements. I tell them to find a way to work it out for themselves because, if I have to work it out, they're all going to hate it. They believe me and they make it work. Nobody gets their own way all of the time but that's part of growing up.

If he parks his bike the way that you'd like, what's in it for the boy? Find something to make it worth his while. One thing I'd definitely avoid would be getting the apartment management involved because you're almost surely going to hate their solution.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 06:09 PM   #7
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'
 
Jaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukie, OR
Bikes: Surly LHT
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you presented this to me and I was a) The apartment manager or B) the boys parent I would tell you to get on your high horse and ride off a cliff. The boys bike is not blocking your access to anything, and as was already said if you don't like sharing the space then take your stuff inside. I garuntee the boy won't park his bike in your apartment.
Jaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 07:52 PM   #8
Stomper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you don't want to damage the trailer and you don't have sufficient room in your apartment for it or the bikes, why not rent a small storage unit? This would alleviate the problem and would reduce the likelihood of weather damage or vandalism of your trailer. You're lucky that nobody else has decided to use your bike parking spot, especially since other bike racks "in the complex have bikes literally piled on top of each other."
Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 08:03 PM   #9
redeyedtreefr0g
Mrs. Hop-along
Thread Starter
 
redeyedtreefr0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seville, FL
Bikes: Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow.

I honestly did not expect such hostility here, of all places. Is it because I said the other bike belonged to a small boy? Would I be getting this reaction if the other bike belonged to some delinquent gangster?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Since you do not use the cars much, I would park the trailer and and maybe even a bicycle in them. I would go so far as trading one car in for a cargo van that could hold both bicycles and the trailer.
You have enough space in your car that you'd willingly lug two bikes in and out of those confines 4 times daily?? No, I do not have a van and never plan to get one, frankly I'd like one less car than we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
CBHI has a good idea ... park your stuff in your cars (or in front of your cars along the parking lot fence, under a tarp). Or take the bicycles up to your apartment.
There is no fence, and my cars are not fit to store bikes in when I need to access them so often. Also, there ARE bike racks. The reason I requested the space under the stairs is to protect the object of my daily transportation from rain and snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
The boy (and his parents) have just as equal rights as you and your husband to freely park his bike wherever they want on an unassigned bike parking rack.
Yes, if this was one of the two bike racks outside our building, I would agree wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Öhassle a 5 year old about a bike that is legally parked and that you have moved for your convenience. However, you and your husband are taking up 2 spots in the parking lot cars that don't operate.
The bike is NOT legally parked as that is not a space designed for bicycles. The cars have nothing to do with the discussion, Iím sorry Iíll remove the irrelevant background information. I am not hassling anyone at all, in fact I believe I am the one being hassled at the moment by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Sounds to me that it is a public area. Other people saw your bicycles etc. there, and figured that everyone was allowed to park their bicycles etc. there.
I understand that this may be true, this is why I have no problem sharing the space with that one small bike. He didnít know that I got permission to use that space, rather than it being a designated area to park a bike. My issue is that I donít want to continuously have to move the small bike when it is perfectly fine and easy to reach where I had it. Iím annoyed at the lack of care shown to my own belongings which were moved for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
If he parks his bike the way that you'd like, what's in it for the boy? Find something to make it worth his while. One thing I'd definitely avoid would be getting the apartment management involved because you're almost surely going to hate their solution.
I also drive a school bus (ok currently Iím still only an assistant in my new district waiting for a route opening) and I understand about petty squabbling. Thatís not what Iím doing at the moment. I honestly feel that what I did is fair to everyone. My stuff is all together and accessible, and his bike still has plenty of room and is accessible quite easily, even for a shorter weaker child. I made sure of this.
Also, you shouldnít need an incentive to be polite to people.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
The boys bike is not blocking your access to anything
I stated that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
I garuntee the boy won't park his bike in your apartment.
Why would I want his bike in MY apartment? This was never suggested by me, I said that the thing was light enough to carry it upstairs.
redeyedtreefr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 08:22 PM   #10
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You've already spent more time thinking about this than it's worth, reduced yourself to bickering with a 5-year-old and irritated everybody on the forum. You live in an apartment. Part of that deal is sharing the public spaces.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 08:25 PM   #11
rebel1916
Senior Member
 
rebel1916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The joys of communal living. If you can't take it, you're gonna have to buy a house.
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 08:43 PM   #12
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,766
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
I honestly did not expect such hostility here, of all places. Is it because I said the other bike belonged to a small boy? Would I be getting this reaction if the other bike belonged to some delinquent gangster?
We're not the hostile ones here. Reread your first post.


It's a public area. If you don't want your things touched or moved, put them in a private area (your car, your apartment). It's quite simple.



I'll bet that within another month's time, you and your husband will come home from a ride only to discover that someone else has parked his/her bicycle there ... that person will have seen your bicycles there, will figure that's a legit bicycle parking place, and will park there too. What are you going to do then?

Last edited by Machka; 11-05-12 at 10:15 PM.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 11:35 PM   #13
tergal
Senior Member
 
tergal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Logan, QLD ,Australia
Bikes: Trek 4300
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
Wow.

I honestly did not expect such hostility here, of all places. Is it because I said the other bike belonged to a small boy? Would I be getting this reaction if the other bike belonged to some delinquent gangster?

Most of the hostility would have been avoided if you had named your thread "i am unsure what to do "

As it stands it reads more like " should i declare war on this family because their 5 year old son does not want his Birthday present covered in snow"

anyway , back to being constructive. If you want to get this resolve with out starting WWIII you are going to have to comprise on something, can you just leave your trailer and carry your bike to you apartment ?
tergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 02:37 AM   #14
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quick question- Has the notion of parking your bikes in your apartment ever occur to you?

I had some friends who used to share a 2 bedroom apartment that's not too far from where I currently live. One of them rode a motorcycle and he parked it outside with all the other cars. He woke up one morning to find someone had messed with it. He couldn't park it in the breezeway, but he wasn't going to leave on the lot anymore, either. He started parking it in the dining room of the apartment. Ground level, vinyl flooring, and he pushed it into and out of the apartment- he always started or killed the engine in the parking lot. Not one of his neighbors had an issue with that.
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 03:44 AM   #15
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
You have enough space in your car that you'd willingly lug two bikes in and out of those confines 4 times daily?? No, I do not have a van and never plan to get one, frankly I'd like one less car than we have now.
You could just put the trailer in the car. Well, I tried to be nice at least. With some, I guess such effort is pointless. Have a great day *****ing about the kids bicycle.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 03:53 AM   #16
GettinMyLanceOn
NotGettinMyLanceOn
 
GettinMyLanceOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PA, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe bring your trailer in. Looks like you are taking up half the rack from that image.
GettinMyLanceOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 04:39 AM   #17
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
If you make a fuss about it, the building manager will very likely tell you that no one will be allowed to park bicycles there.
that's what i would do

I keep all of my bikes and my trailer inside of my apartment because i don't want my neighbors messing with them.

Quote:
. He didnít know that I got permission to use that space, rather than it being a designated area to park a bike.
you could try to explain that but honestly I don't feel like any one person should be entitled to a space just because they asked. you want to claim a certain part of the common area as "your space". you could contact the manager but the potential to lose any special bike parking privilege exists.

i wasn't totally clear on if these people have already compromised and moved the bike once.. just work around it if so. or keep your bikes in your apt.. there are many storage devices you can use to get them out of the way

Last edited by frantik; 11-06-12 at 04:47 AM.
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 08:29 AM   #18
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As others have mentioned you are not ENTITLED to any of the common areas for your own personal dedicated use... That should be obvious, but clearly isn't. I suggest that you purchase a small home and then you will be entitled to store your bikes in whatever manner you choose...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 08:45 AM   #19
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
Also, you shouldn’t need an incentive to be polite to people.
That's probably what the boy's parents are thinking too.

I don't see it as being polite so much as negotiating. You're asking for something from him (parking his bike in a certain way because it's more convenient for you) but are willing to offer absolutely nothing in return.

Uh - would you behave the same way, moving a "delinquent gangster's" bike without his permission? Picking on somebody smaller because you think he can't or won't retialiate is bullying.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 09:51 AM   #20
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I guess I am odd man out here!!

Shame on ya for leaving a bike outside.. Shame..
__________________
2001 Raleigh R700
1996 Litespeed Classic
1995 Klein Quantum
1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
1989 Centurion Master Ironman
1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Btr)
1985 Raleigh Prestige
1985 Raleigh Competition
1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1
19? Raleigh M50 MTB
19? Cannondale F300 MTB

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K
http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
75,Old,Dirty,&Fast
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:02 AM   #21
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardGS View Post
I guess I am odd man out here!!

Shame on ya for leaving a bike outside.. Shame..
Hey now.. my aluminum bikes like the outdoors.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:02 AM   #22
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
Wow.

I honestly did not expect such hostility here, of all places. Is it because I said the other bike belonged to a small boy? Would I be getting this reaction if the other bike belonged to some delinquent gangster?
I'm thinking that you would have gotten the same reaction if, instead of a kid's bike with training wheels,the other bike had been a Trek Madone owned by another adult who thought they were entitled to use the spot. It's a common area; be glad the manager lets you park there at all. I agree you should talk it over with the kid's parents to find a solution that works for everyone. So far they seem willing to accommodate you, and that will probably continue as long as they don't think you're becoming unreasonable (from their point of view.)
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:40 AM   #23
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 9,647
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
...
There is no fence, and my cars are not fit to store bikes in when I need to access them so often. Also, there ARE bike racks. The reason I requested the space under the stairs is to protect the object of my daily transportation from rain and snow.

(snip)

I don't know about your local area, but here it would be a violation of fire code to store the bike under the common area stairs. You could research it here http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...2009/index.htm since apparently your community adopts these international fire codes. It may be a violation, and your management isn't aware of it or made a judgment call for your convenience.

It's something to think about, before getting into push comes to shove with the neighbors or management. Any one person complaining and you may lose your parking special privilege.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:57 AM   #24
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,661
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
We're talking about a five-year-old child who has a new bike and wants to be like a grown up. Just as well he's not behaving like a grown-up on a bike forum...

OP, either park your bikes in the properly designated area, put them in a vehicle, get rid of one of the cars and put a shed on your designated parking space to lock the bikes in, or take the bikes and your other crap up to your apartment.

Stop carrying on about what a little kid does. And do us all a favour and stop using that rubbishy green type.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 11:09 AM   #25
clarkbre
Senior Member
 
clarkbre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
The cars have nothing to do with the discussion, I’m sorry I’ll remove the irrelevant background information. I am not hassling anyone at all, in fact I believe I am the one being hassled at the moment by you.
Your cars have something to do with it (and actually relevant). In part of your original post (conveniently deleted) you said that your bikes were your sole transportation because your cars are both not operational. So, your bikes are a little more "entitled" now because they aren't just recreational anymore?

Flip this one step up the food chain...

If there are limited parking spots in the parking lot (very common with communal living), why should an operational vehicle have to potentially park on the road or off the premises while your 2 heeps take up valued parking spots? You are lucky the other tenants aren't requesting your vehicles be towed.!

In reality, you're bikes are under violation of the fire code. And, your cars are most likely in violation of your lease (stating your cars must be operational or move within a certain time frame...very common).

Judge yourself before you start judging others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
I am not hassling anyone at all,
I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
in fact I believe I am the one being hassled at the moment by you.
Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you!
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.