Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    DOH! Black ice got me.

    So I'm standing up and hammering away and I went over a patch of slush, well voila, beneath was ice so off I went on my left knee. It was just a tiny fall, I didn't even fall, I caught myself with my hand and my knee just skimmed the ground, here's what happened.

    I'm just worried cause that dark lump in the middle? That's the result of 2 older accidents, the same piece of flesh keeps getting ripped off and the lump gets bigger. Anyone know a way to get rid of it?

  2. #2
    Guest
    Guest
    Alternating ice and heat, combined with no more accidents.

    It looks like it's just blood and cells that congregate to the site of an infection that are trapped under the skin. You may have to see a doctor to get some aggressive treatment if it isn't going away, though.

    Koffee

  3. #3
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,945
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shin guards.

  4. #4
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown
    It looks like it's just blood and cells that congregate to the site of an infection that are trapped under the skin. You may have to see a doctor to get some aggressive treatment if it isn't going away, though.

    Koffee
    Wait, aggressive treatment?
    Can I leave that alone? Its just like a dark lump in my skin, it's been there for over 6 months and I haven't noticed anything bad from it. Do I need to get it removed? I'm not sure if it was infected but I don't think it was the last 2 times I had it.

  5. #5
    Guest
    Guest
    Dammit Jim, I'm not a doctor! If it's been 6 months, I'd go to the doctor. But that's just me. I don't like to have lumps and stuff growing under my skin. It could be anything... I just assume it's probably a mass of blood and dead cells trapped under the skin, but you never know.

    Koffee

  6. #6
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown
    Dammit Jim, I'm not a doctor! If it's been 6 months, I'd go to the doctor. But that's just me. I don't like to have lumps and stuff growing under my skin. It could be anything... I just assume it's probably a mass of blood and dead cells trapped under the skin, but you never know.

    Koffee
    Affirmative. McCoy. Your medical. Advice is. Always. Welcomed. On the. Enterprise.

  7. #7
    Almost Immortal The Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 7500FX
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably nothing to worry about. Probably. Would someone who has a degree in medicine say that? It would be a pity if, after a year, a physician peered with brows furrowed at your injury and said "Tsk! Did it never occur to you to have this looked at after it happened? Oh dear, oh dear...".
    "Ignorance begets confidence more frequently than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin


    http://blog.myspace.com/robcatg

    http://therob.wordpress.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GO TO A DOCTOR AND GET IT TREATED PROPERLY!!!! I'm recovering from a similar injury from a month ago and I'm still putting silverdine cream on it. I've also got some serious pain medication for it.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  9. #9
    Guest
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Affirmative. McCoy. Your medical. Advice is. Always. Welcomed. On the. Enterprise.
    Nanu nanu....

    Seek. Medical. Attention.



    Koffee

  10. #10
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Wait, aggressive treatment?
    Can I leave that alone? Its just like a dark lump in my skin, it's been there for over 6 months and I haven't noticed anything bad from it. Do I need to get it removed? I'm not sure if it was infected but I don't think it was the last 2 times I had it.
    It's most probably scar tissue if you've torn that particular spot up before. Back in the day when I raced motorcycles, I crashed hard on my left elbow several times over a period of a few years. Each time, I'd take a patch of skin off. Now, my elbow has permanent darker spots where I've formed scar tissue, but then tore it up again on the same spot. You really wouldn't notice if you weren't looking for it, but I notice it as it reminds me of every crash!

    That's my GUESS for what it's worth, which isn't much. If you are worried, as stated above many times, please go see your doc!

  11. #11
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,307
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDan
    GO TO A DOCTOR AND GET IT TREATED PROPERLY!!!! I'm recovering from a similar injury from a month ago and I'm still putting silverdine cream on it. I've also got some serious pain medication for it.
    For crying out loud!!!! Stop being a he-man and get thee to a doctor before you really
    "F" up your knee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #12
    Guest
    Guest
    Since skin usually isn't blue, that would be odd, wouldn't you say?



    Koffee

  13. #13
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MERTON
    could be a blood clot waiting to go to yer brain and kill ya.
    .... as stupid as that sounds, I actually worried about that...

  14. #14
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,945
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    .... as stupid as that sounds, I actually worried about that...
    It's not stupid at all, it happens. Please go see a doctor? Something similar has happened to someone I know.

  15. #15
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it's not a rock cought up in there

  16. #16
    I couldn't car less. jeff williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
    Posts
    4,404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmckenna
    Are you sure it's not a rock cought up in there
    I 'removed' a large bb sized ball from my leg -2 years ago. It had floated all over, for a while it was on the roof of my mouth.
    I cut it open and discovered it was a rock coated in calcium and fibreous tissue.
    I guess I didn't clean a wound when young, skateboarding and stacking.

    It had been in me more than 10 years, I doubt it would have ever caused any medical problems.

  17. #17
    switching to guns ch0mb0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    kings county, nyc
    My Bikes
    allez fuji tracku nishiki TT GT KHS arrow Miner 29'er CIOCC Corsair and now a f*cking awesome waterford skeet velo
    Posts
    1,968
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    I'm just worried cause that dark lump in the middle? That's the result of 2 older accidents, the same piece of flesh keeps getting ripped off and the lump gets bigger. Anyone know a way to get rid of it?


    Go to DR. ZIZMOR!
    You know, that skin doctor what's got those tacky ads plastered up all over this city.

    Seriously tho, hope you recover soon
    It's definitely still sketchy out on them streets...esp. after dark.
    Fate is the Hunter
    http://ch0mb0.net/images/Ploesti2.jpg
    http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8...turesiggp8.jpg
    What are they doing? Why do they come here? Some kind of instinct. Memory, of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives.
    http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/8074/dodcm.jpg

  18. #18
    Canon fiend MadMan2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    old peugot frankenbike
    Posts
    3,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff williams
    I 'removed' a large bb sized ball from my leg -2 years ago. It had floated all over, for a while it was on the roof of my mouth.
    I cut it open and discovered it was a rock coated in calcium and fibreous tissue.
    I guess I didn't clean a wound when young, skateboarding and stacking.

    It had been in me more than 10 years, I doubt it would have ever caused any medical problems.
    Holy crap, that's so awesome. Did you save it?

  19. #19
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ch0mb0
    Go to DR. ZIZMOR!
    You know, that skin doctor what's got those tacky ads plastered up all over this city.
    Hehe, you know subway ads are designed that way because they think riders represent a "target audience". Which means according to the ads, most riders:

    a) have bad skin.
    b) are ugly.
    c) are stupid.
    d) are underemployed.
    e) are crippled.
    f) are sue happy.
    g) are poor.

  20. #20
    I couldn't car less. jeff williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
    Posts
    4,404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMan2k
    Holy crap, that's so awesome. Did you save it?
    Eeeewwww! Now you're grossing me out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •