Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Hudson 4600
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Does your State/Country/Providence still (or did it ever) offer bicycle registration?

    As in Police station registration. Ever since I got back into cycling after a decades long break, I noticed that my local Police station here in Mays Landing NJ no longer allows people to register their bike in case of theft. I couldn't help notice that this forum plays host to cyclist all over the world. So I was curious if all of America has "86" the act of documenting your bike sale & ownership?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,025
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buy the bike new, you can register with what ever brand's website. Barring that, a sales receipt acts as proof of purchase in case you have to file a report.

  3. #3
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Hudson 4600
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    If you buy the bike new, you can register with what ever brand's website. Barring that, a sales receipt acts as proof of purchase in case you have to file a report.
    A manufacture's website can do nothing to recover a stolen bike. Example: when my beloved GT was stolen it was registared with Pleasentville Police station. During their rutine shake down of local drug dealers & thugs, they can check the serial numbers of the bikes they are rideing (most pushers don't spend a lot of money on bikes & the high end job always stick out like a sore thumb)

    But still, its not like the Cops have stolen bike (high end or not) on their minds. Sometimes you just need a good cause to stop & detain a suspect. & a reported stolen bike can be just the thing a cop needs to CYOA in the legal dept. So No1mad, I take it that's a no from you & your neck of the woods?

    FYI: I got my GT back! :-)
    Last edited by TOTAL CONTROL; 03-02-13 at 04:40 AM.

  4. #4
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,509
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way back in the 1970s, Saskatchewan had a bicycle registration program ... our bicycles even had little licence plates. But that went out years ago ... probably close to 3 decades ago.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,025
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No registration with LEO or any other civil authority in my neck of the woods is required, nor do I delude myself with the chances of recovering a stolen bike even if it was registered. Then again, I don't have a huge financial or emotional stake in my bike- others may have different views than mine, however.

  6. #6
    Roadmaster Snobbery Club bhtooefr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    My Bikes
    2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still need to get around to registering my cycles - my municipality has mandatory registration, although I've never heard of it being enforced, and wouldn't be surprised if they were unable to register a bike (it involves bolting a license plate to the rear fender, or the seat stays above the tire if there is no fender).
    2011 TerraTrike Path 8
    2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1 (with 1976 F&S R 2110 2-speed kickback hub)

  7. #7
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The town I used to live in did, but not longer does. No one knows what happened to the data base. I keep track of all my serial numbers of everything I own that has them in a spread sheet, also pictures of the stuff.

    There are some places that still mandate cycle registration as a means of harassment against cyclists, IMHO. FWIW I registered everyone of my bicycles back when it was available, and have never had one of the stolen ones recovered. I found two of my stolen ones in pawn shops and was able to ID them by the serial numbers, and yes they had the license sticker on them.

    I have seen registration used on college campuses which makes some sense for tracking down or ticketing someone who can't follow parking rules. I have seen this done on a couple of campuses where someone locked a bike to a railing blocking a handicapped access. The bike was removed and a citation issued to the student who's name was registered to the sticker.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  8. #8
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,434
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTAL CONTROL View Post
    A manufacture's website can do nothing to recover a stolen bike. Example: when my beloved GT was stolen it was registared with Pleasentville Police station. During their rutine shake down of local drug dealers & thugs, they can check the serial numbers of the bikes they are rideing (most pushers don't spend a lot of money on bikes & the high end job always stick out like a sore thumb)

    But still, its not like the Cops have stolen bike (high end or not) on their minds. Sometimes you just need a good cause to stop & detain a suspect. & a reported stolen bike can be just the thing a cop needs to CYOA in the legal dept. So No1mad, I take it that's a no from you & your neck of the woods?
    Sounds like you are looking for a backdoor "justification" for police profiling and "shaking down" and stopping the wrong type of cyclists.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mobile 155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Posts
    2,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Sounds like you are looking for a backdoor "justification" for police profiling and "shaking down" and stopping the wrong type of cyclists.
    My locality allowes for a registration but I am not sure it does anything. The local police or Sherriff do not seem to place bicycle theft very high on their list. But as far as pulling over anyone, wrong or right type of cyclist, they seem to make up a justification as they go along. But what does seem strange to me is there is more of a movement to register and protect our pets than our property like a bicycle. I have to register my dog and I can even get a microchip so the pet can be identified if found. My vet will scan any animal that comes in just to see if the owner is indeed the owner. Cats and exotic birds can get the same microchip service.

    I will admit I am at a quandry on licensing and registering bicycles maybe because of the concern you mentioned in your post. But I also would like to think there was a real effort to recover my stolen bike so that when you come to forums like these the most common advice isn't, "buy a POS bike so if it gets ripped off you haven't lost much." Or "repaint your bike to look like a POS so the bike next to yours get ripped off and yours get passed over."

    As a result I have a good bike that I only ride where I can see it if I am off of it. I have a general bike that I can ride to the coffee shop on the weekend while I visit with friends and read the paper. And I have a general utility bike that I will only ride to stores I feel are somewhat secure to get groceries or whatever I might need that I can haul by bike or bike and trailer. That means I end up driving to places I could easily ride to because I am not sure I wouldn't have to walk home. But I wondered off topic a bit didn't I?
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

  10. #10
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,434
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    But what does seem strange to me is there is more of a movement to register and protect our pets than our property like a bicycle. I have to register my dog and I can even get a microchip so the pet can be identified if found. My vet will scan any animal that comes in just to see if the owner is indeed the owner. Cats and exotic birds can get the same microchip service.
    I don't find it strange. Though a reading of some BF posts might indicate otherwise, I suspect a far higher proportion of the population have a deeper emotional attachment to their pets, than almost any material possession, except perhaps for their home.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Mobile 155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Posts
    2,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    I don't find it strange. Though a reading of some BF posts might indicate otherwise, I suspect a far higher proportion of the population have a deeper emotional attachment to their pets, than almost any material possession, except perhaps for their home.
    Maybe true. However I was thinking along the lines of legal interest rather than emotional. I might be guilty of the later myself. Still in many cases bike theft might be grand theft but It "seems" as if some police departments see a stolen TV or power tools as a higher priority.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

  12. #12
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,434
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    Still in many cases bike theft might be grand theft but It "seems" as if some police departments see a stolen TV or power tools as a higher priority.
    Doubt it as far as $value. I can't imagine that the average value of bikes in the U.S. is over $200. Don't forget most bikes are bought at the big box stores for less than that price and probably can't be resold for 1/2 the price a week later. I suspect most of the more expensive bikes are kept under tighter control and better locking systems than Junior's 10 or 18 speed MTB special sitting unlocked in the driveway or on the sidewalk when Mom calls.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This goes back to 1985 when I bought my Raleigh Olympian new, hopefully it's changed since then.

    I purchased a bike registration for my new Raleigh Olympian, as I recall it was technically required, but later I found out that there was no sharing of information among police departments. If my bike were stolen and recovered in my city, it might do some good, but if it were recovered across the street in a different city it was worthless. Once I learned that I said never again.
    2012 Trek 5.2 Madone
    1985 Raleigh Olympian

  14. #14
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,434
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertL View Post
    but later I found out that there was no sharing of information among police departments. If my bike were stolen and recovered in my city, it might do some good, but if it were recovered across the street in a different city it was worthless. Once I learned that I said never again.
    I learned that about 60 years ago, at about the same time as I learned the real truth about the Tooth Fairy.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my police scanner I hear the police running serial numbers on bikes all the time.

  16. #16
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Hudson 4600
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Sounds like you are looking for a backdoor "justification" for police profiling and "shaking down" and stopping the wrong type of cyclists.
    Yes, that's it.....you've seen right through me LOL. No dude, your reading way to deep into it. I just don't want to see my $1,200.00 bike grow wings. I can't speak for you, but I tend to get "attatched" to my bikes. When one gets stolen, its more the feeling of.......IDK, its just sucks to get ur stuff ripped off.

  17. #17
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,396
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does state college campus registration count?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Mobile 155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Posts
    2,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Doubt it as far as $value. I can't imagine that the average value of bikes in the U.S. is over $200. Don't forget most bikes are bought at the big box stores for less than that price and probably can't be resold for 1/2 the price a week later. I suspect most of the more expensive bikes are kept under tighter control and better locking systems than Junior's 10 or 18 speed MTB special sitting unlocked in the driveway or on the sidewalk when Mom calls.
    Once again you might have a point. But I have found very little differnce in attitude when a report goes to the police about a missing Trek 6.5 with Mavic R-Sys SLs wheels, Ti Speed plays and a SMP Cf race saddle. The police in my area will hardly come take a report. But for a missing TV they will come take a report. You can get a pretty good sized flat screen for a lot less that the Trek. Just my experience in my area. I did see a program about the police running a bait car type sting with high end bikes in LA. But I wondered if that was just for TV because it was on the Bait car program.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

  19. #19
    Roadmaster Snobbery Club bhtooefr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    My Bikes
    2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTAL CONTROL View Post
    Yes, that's it.....you've seen right through me LOL. No dude, your reading way to deep into it. I just don't want to see my $1,200.00 bike grow wings. I can't speak for you, but I tend to get "attatched" to my bikes. When one gets stolen, its more the feeling of.......IDK, its just sucks to get ur stuff ripped off.
    Similarly, though, you don't want every black guy riding a $1200 bike get pulled over for Riding While Black, and you know cops are going to do that in many areas.
    2011 TerraTrike Path 8
    2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1 (with 1976 F&S R 2110 2-speed kickback hub)

  20. #20
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,434
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    Once again you might have a point. But I have found very little differnce in attitude when a report goes to the police about a missing Trek 6.5 with Mavic R-Sys SLs wheels, Ti Speed plays and a SMP Cf race saddle. The police in my area will hardly come take a report. But for a missing TV they will come take a report.
    The big difference might be because stealing a TV usually involves a burglary of a home or establishment and an invasion of one's home, even if uninhabited at the time, is far more disturbing to most people.

  21. #21
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,434
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTAL CONTROL View Post
    Yes, that's it.....you've seen right through me LOL. No dude, your reading way to deep into it.
    No I'm not. You are the one who posted the logic for a justification for routine stopping of anyone who looks "wrong" for riding high-end bikes, "During their rutine shake down of local drug dealers & thugs, they can check the serial numbers of the bikes they are rideing (most pushers don't spend a lot of money on bikes & the high end job always stick out like a sore thumb).

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Trek 1100
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid bikes could be registered(don't remember if it was mandatory). It was cool because you you got a mini license plate, just like a car, it had metal tabs that attached it to your seat stays.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    A city requirement that all bicycles be registered with the traffic section of the police department. Cost is one dollar. You get a bicycle license sticker that goes on the seat post tube. The license paper that you get in return lists the frame number and a description of the bike. Said to be useful in identifying stolen bicycles that are recovered.

    From what I have seen I am probably the only one in the city who has bother to get the stickers for our 4 bicycles. If stolen and you see it on the street it helps you to recover the bike from whoever happens to be riding it at the time. Of course most stolen bikes are quickly repainted. But having the frame number in the traffic dept. computer helps the police determine that it is in fact your bike.

  24. #24
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Hudson 4600
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Similarly, though, you don't want every black guy riding a $1200 bike get pulled over for Riding While Black, and you know cops are going to do that in many areas.
    Who said anything about black people?..........got'cha. I guess its not just cops who profile lol.

  25. #25
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Hudson 4600
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    No I'm not. You are the one who posted the logic for a justification for routine stopping of anyone who looks "wrong" for riding high-end bikes, "During their rutine shake down of local drug dealers & thugs, they can check the serial numbers of the bikes they are rideing (most pushers don't spend a lot of money on bikes & the high end job always stick out like a sore thumb).
    No, that's not what I said. That's what YOU said. If you re-read my post (minus the conspiracy complex), you'll see that what I said or implied was that cops are gonna stop these thugs & known pushers with or with out a bike. Having a registry & an active report of a stolen bike only adds to their ability to stop & detain.

    In other words......its the same concept as a cop running a plate or back ground check during or after a traffic stop. But I get it......the "evil profile plot" is more sexy LMAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •