Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    comparing a few bikes

    So I was looking at a few bikes (relatively new to biking and all the parts and stuff leave me generally clueless to quality) and they all seem similar to me with my basic research I've attempted on my own...but I'm not really sure! Is there any sort of ranking or anything or is one of these things not like the other? Money is an object! So I would probably lean away from the Treck and towards one of the others if all else is essentially equal. Of course there is also testing them by riding them once I figure this out!

    Fuji ABSOLUTE 2.1 - STEP OVER - $479
    http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute_21

    Treck - 7.2 FX - $549.99
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ness/fx/7_2_fx

    Cannondale- QUICK 6 - $510
    http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes...ick-sl/quick-6

    Giant- ESCAPE 2 - $500
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...specifications

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank You

    My first post ever, how thrilling.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums.

    Now down to business. Since we kinda have an idea of your budget, how about your intended use for the bike? Fitness, transportation, fun? Going to be riding on roads only or wanting to do a little dirt/gravel riding as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.

    Now down to business. Since we kinda have an idea of your budget, how about your intended use for the bike? Fitness, transportation, fun? Going to be riding on roads only or wanting to do a little dirt/gravel riding as well?
    Hi,

    Basically fitness and fun. I will be mainly on roads, but possibly slight gravel on a bike path. As far as a little dirt I'm not sure exactly what that means unless its equal to the little gravel then maybe if theres dirt on the road! Haha, but nothing like mountain biking or anything of that nature.

    Sorry for the delay I was walking my dog.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On paper, I really like the Giant Escape line. However, the geometry is just a bit 'off' for me, which I discovered after getting my hands on one at the LBS.

    If all of the bikes that you listed are available locally to you, I'd suggest taking each for a test spin. That should help you narrow down the list a bit. You might also want to poke around in the Hybrid forum, as most of these models are talked about quite frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    On paper, I really like the Giant Escape line. However, the geometry is just a bit 'off' for me, which I discovered after getting my hands on one at the LBS.

    If all of the bikes that you listed are available locally to you, I'd suggest taking each for a test spin. That should help you narrow down the list a bit. You might also want to poke around in the Hybrid forum, as most of these models are talked about quite frequently.
    Okay, I will check things out over there tomorrow as it's so late where I am now.

    Thank you for your opinion and help!

  6. #6
    Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Posts
    2,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Yup. Ride as many candidates as you can. The one that feels most comfortable to you - and the one where the bike shop takes the time to listen, adjust things, and help - that's probably the one to get. These are all pretty close pricewise.

    I've only seen the Giant Escape in person, while at a shop on other business (waiting) and I commented to the bike store how well equipped it was at its price point. I just recommended it to a friend for his college graduate daughter to try.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy from the dealer you like the best or is the closest those are a 6 of one half a dozen of the other. The shop that clicks with you gets the sale IMHO

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    40,063
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got local Dealers for all those ?. go do some test rides..

    +1) shop for the Dealer you like, then select a bike they sell..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •