Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-13, 03:36 PM   #1
bikenh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Cassetteable fixed hub

Is there such a thing? A fixed gear hub except you can run a cassette on it. With all the broken ankle biking I've been doing here over the past month plus now it would have been grand to have a fixed gear hub but to still be able to switch gears since I live in a hilly environment. Having the rotating wheel helping you pedal would make it much easier and keep a higher speed up. I would have need the capability of being able to switch gears for climbing or descending.

Is their a hub where you can 'lock' the the hub and still be able to switch gears?

Is there a way to lock/convert a regular hub so it functions as a fixed gear hub?
bikenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 03:56 PM   #2
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
You could always mount a freewheel on it. There's no running fixed sprockets with a derailleur or chain tensioner -- they'd break as soon as you applied backpressure to the pedals.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 05:38 PM   #3
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,569
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
yea, the rear derailleur is going to snap if you try to skid.
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 07:19 PM   #4
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
You wouldn't consider running a freehub?
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 11:01 PM   #5
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Bikes:
Posts: 7,977
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The only fixed, multiple gear arrangement you'll find is an internal hub, like the Sturmey S3X: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2713
As others said, running a fixed gear with a derailleur will likely snap your rear derailleur off. I had a rear cassette seize up one day, and I was barely able to limp to the next sag stop (on a supported tour).
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 10:34 AM   #6
bikenh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Okay I have to plead stupidity here...BIG TIME!! Before I ask a couple of questions let me exam what I have experienced and try to compare it with terms, terms and more terms.

My first multi gear bike was a Huffy Omni 10 speed(back when 10 speed meant 5 on the rear not 10 on the rear...yes early to mid 1980s). I remember my sister not liking to bike and she talked about having stripped out the gears on her bike. As I come more to understand what she was talking about I come to realize that I couldn't do that on my 10 speed. The Huffy had what I liked to call NOPEGECH(No Pedal Gear Change)...err as I learnt much later, I believe the correct name is front freewheel. The chainring was 'locked' in place. As long as the wheel was spinning the chainring/chain was also always moving. The pedals weren't 'locked' in place though. It wasn't like I was riding a fixed gear bike.

Okay, now for where I currently stand in understanding of everything between the freewheel concept and fixed gear concept...I wish I knew.

What is the difference between freewheel and fixed gear? From what I thought I understood(just did some looking online and saw I was right but I still don't understand it fully and I don't have the old Huffy handy, it's at my moms about 800 miles from here) about the old 10 speed was their was a freewheel put in place between the chainring and the cranks(still don't understand the freewheel concept though). It wasn't something that was done back in the hub.

Is the freewheel always applied up front/bottom bracket/crank while the fixed hub is naturally applied to the hub/wheel?

Why would back pedalling with the a fixed gear cause you to break the derailleur but with a freewheel/hub it wouldn't?

Like I said I'm thoroughly confused right now. I haven't ridden a fixed gear as of yet to have possibly been able to see what the real differences are in the way a fixed gear bike 'behaves'.

I have thought about changing my road bike over to true single speed or all the way to fixed gear since I have been pretty much riding single speed on a multi gear bike since August last year. I've mostly been waiting to get over this darn broken ankle and get the bum leg strengthed back up before I do it though.
bikenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 02:28 PM   #7
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,518
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenh View Post
What is the difference between freewheel and fixed gear?
With a freewheel you can coast. With a fixed gear you can't -- whenever the wheels are moving, the pedals are also.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 03:58 PM   #8
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Is their a hub where you can 'lock' the the hub and still be able to switch gears?
Sturmey S3X has a spline fitting for its fixed cog, A Shimano established BMX hub pattern.

But that's just 1 cog.... the 3 internal gears offer the other ratios. .75. .63 ..


Quote:
Is there a way to lock/convert a regular hub so it functions as a fixed gear hub?
By welding the moving parts together.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-16-13 at 11:38 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 04:02 PM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
SRAM Current Torpedo is able to be fixed/unlocked, via several turns with a screwdriver ..

One Gear.. old 3 speed cogs have a different spline pattern. But cheap and common.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-16-13 at 11:39 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 05:24 PM   #10
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,569
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
take a bike with rear derailleur. hold the pedal in place (don't let it move), and pull on the bottom part of the chain away from the rear derailleur.... On a fixie, that's exactly what would happen. Now imagine the full force of friction acting upon that little guy...
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 05:37 PM   #11
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenh View Post
Okay I have to plead stupidity here...BIG TIME!! Before I ask a couple of questions let me exam what I have experienced and try to compare it with terms, terms and more terms.

My first multi gear bike was a Huffy Omni 10 speed(back when 10 speed meant 5 on the rear not 10 on the rear...yes early to mid 1980s). I remember my sister not liking to bike and she talked about having stripped out the gears on her bike. As I come more to understand what she was talking about I come to realize that I couldn't do that on my 10 speed. The Huffy had what I liked to call NOPEGECH(No Pedal Gear Change)...err as I learnt much later, I believe the correct name is front freewheel. The chainring was 'locked' in place. As long as the wheel was spinning the chainring/chain was also always moving. The pedals weren't 'locked' in place though. It wasn't like I was riding a fixed gear bike.

Okay, now for where I currently stand in understanding of everything between the freewheel concept and fixed gear concept...I wish I knew.

What is the difference between freewheel and fixed gear? From what I thought I understood(just did some looking online and saw I was right but I still don't understand it fully and I don't have the old Huffy handy, it's at my moms about 800 miles from here) about the old 10 speed was their was a freewheel put in place between the chainring and the cranks(still don't understand the freewheel concept though). It wasn't something that was done back in the hub.

Is the freewheel always applied up front/bottom bracket/crank while the fixed hub is naturally applied to the hub/wheel?

Why would back pedalling with the a fixed gear cause you to break the derailleur but with a freewheel/hub it wouldn't?

Like I said I'm thoroughly confused right now. I haven't ridden a fixed gear as of yet to have possibly been able to see what the real differences are in the way a fixed gear bike 'behaves'.

I have thought about changing my road bike over to true single speed or all the way to fixed gear since I have been pretty much riding single speed on a multi gear bike since August last year. I've mostly been waiting to get over this darn broken ankle and get the bum leg strengthed back up before I do it though.
What you are referring to is the Shimano Front Freewheeling System. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_freewheel
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 08:00 PM   #12
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay I have to plead stupidity here...BIG TIME!!
comes with the fixie territory for many youngsters..
'but all the cool kids do it', is another common phrase.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 08:56 PM   #13
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Bikes:
Posts: 7,977
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenh View Post
Why would back pedalling with the a fixed gear cause you to break the derailleur but with a freewheel/hub it wouldn't?
As others have pointed out, a "fixed" gear does not allow coasting. If you were to back pedal on a fixie, you would go backwards.

On a fixie, you can put back pressure while going forwards and slow yourself down. This is why fixie riders claim they don't need brakes. (That's a political argument on fixie forums. You are warned.)
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 10:26 AM   #14
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,518
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Sturmey S3X has a spline fitting for its fixed cog, A Shimano established BMX hub pattern.
Curiously, Shimano splined cogs don't fit without a fight, but Sutrmey-Archer cogs from as far back as the 1950s work fine.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 04-17-13 at 10:32 AM.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 10:33 AM   #15
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Bikes: 7⃥ 9 road bikes
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's possible to "fix" a freehub by removing the bearings and replacing them with a metal ring of some sort (a nail bent in a circle, for instance) with the proper dimensions. a couple of turns of the freewheel with a small cog is enough to friction weld it in place. i'm referring to the bearings for the freewheel, not the drive-side axle bearings.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 04-17-13 at 02:31 PM.
hueyhoolihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 10:41 AM   #16
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
I havent tried , But IM curious if anyone had had a Shimano Single speed BMX hub

and is there any comparison between the Pre Hyperglide spline.. that are all the same width..

as Opposed to the current ones which key on in common by having a wider and narrow spline
cut, so all the shift features line up..


S3X Threads the tips of their splines , making a screw on Freewheel a practicality ,
if you get tired of your feet being pushed around going down hills..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 06:15 PM   #17
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Bikes:
Posts: 7,977
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I havent tried , But IM curious if anyone had had a Shimano Single speed BMX hub

and is there any comparison between the Pre Hyperglide spline.. that are all the same width..
The latest DXR freehub or the original DX hub? (The DX hub used a 3-spline cog, similar to the old Sturmay-Archer and Bendix.)
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 09:10 AM   #18
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,518
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
S3X Threads the tips of their splines , making a screw on Freewheel a practicality, if you get tired of your feet being pushed around going down hills..
You can also thread a standard track cog and BB lockring onto the S3X, and if you use one of the splined spacers provided with the hub between the cog and the lockring, there's no risk of it being a "suicide hub."
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.