Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   I used to be a bike nut, but I fell off the saddle. How can I get back on? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/884909-i-used-bike-nut-but-i-fell-off-saddle-how-can-i-get-back.html)

SurlyLaika 04-18-13 10:27 PM

I used to be a bike nut, but I fell off the saddle. How can I get back on?
 
I used to really love riding bikes. I would ride everywhere, near and far. I'd ride in the rain sometimes. I'd religiously check my PSI and lubricate the chain. I did a 2,000 mile tour up and down California. I used to volunteer at a bicycle kitchen where I really enjoyed learning how bikes worked. I used to spend hours on bike forums and looking up reviews on components and reading bicycling blogs. Bicycling was my life. Back then I was a college student with a part time job and I lived in the suburbs of Los Angeles. Today I have a full time job as an English teacher in Korea and I still ride, but I don't feel the same passion for it as I did before. Maybe it's because of the craptastic weather here (frigid winters/hot and humid summers with no real middle ground) or maybe it's because the insane drivers and rough roads here drive me crazy, but I really wish I still had that old feeling. Don't get me wrong. I still ride but I kind of have to force myself to go. Before it was just such a integral part of my life that I didn't even think about it. How can I rekindle the old fire? Really, I need ideas. I want to get back into it before winter comes back.

onbike 1939 04-19-13 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurlyLaika (Post 15527794)
How can I rekindle the old fire? Really, I need ideas. I want to get back into it before winter comes back.

Simple really.

Grow your hair in a pony tail, though this works better if you're balding.

Find an eighteen year-old girl-friend.

I'm having the same problem as you are but I'm seventy-three and ailing.

Being bald, I'm having trouble with the pony-tail bit but I'm not giving up hope.

krobinson103 04-19-13 05:40 AM

I too live in Korea and teach English. Motorcycles distracted me, I sold them and my car so the ONLY way I have to get around is on my bikes. Given that I despise public transport my only option is to ride. I also ride 130-200km+ on the weekend for fun and do all my shopping and kid carrying by bike.

cplager 04-19-13 06:04 AM

Go out for short, fun rides. Go out for a picnic lunch. Find somebody you like being with and ride with them.

Riding should be fun. Don't push it.

hyhuu 04-19-13 06:49 AM

Take a bike vacation. Go to places with fantastic rides. Most of them are very scenic/mountainous so even if you still don't want to ride, there are other things to do there. My first passion is climbing rock or mountain. Now aday with family and kids I don't get to climb much that I don't even think too much about it but every now and then when I get to go, the trip just lighted up the fire in me just like the old day. For me that's not always necessary good because I don't get go again until God knows when so I have to find away to supress the fire. Luckily, that's where cycling comes in. Good luck.

wahoonc 04-19-13 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onbike 1939 (Post 15528097)
Simple really.

Grow your hair in a pony tail, though this works better if you're balding.

Find an eighteen year-old girl-friend.

I'm having the same problem as you are but I'm seventy-three and ailing.

Being bald, I'm having trouble with the pony-tail bit but I'm not giving up hope.

Here is what you need... :D

Aaron :)

http://www.villagehatshop.com/media/....jpg&width=375

Yo Spiff 04-19-13 08:47 AM

I agree with the idea of just going for short casual rides. Don't worry about making any goals, just have fun. Maybe some casual group rides if you have anything like that where you are. I ride with a group that goes does pub crawls by bike. I don't drink much, but it's a fun group.

SurlyLaika 04-19-13 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krobinson103 (Post 15528237)
I too live in Korea and teach English. Motorcycles distracted me, I sold them and my car so the ONLY way I have to get around is on my bikes. Given that I despise public transport my only option is to ride. I also ride 130-200km+ on the weekend for fun and do all my shopping and kid carrying by bike.

sup, Kelly? It's Albert. You're a beast. As far as biking vs Gbus, you're right Gbus is terrible. Packed beyond what is possible. Jerky starts and stops, needing to hold on to the bars for dear life or risk falling. Subways can be useful to get me and my bike somewhere far. Inter-city buses, too, will sometimes takes bikes but city buses? NO. Anyway, I do ride my to get around to work, to the grocery store, etc but everything is so damned close I could just walk. I prefer to ride but back in California going to Target was actually a 45 minute round trip if not longer. I just wish I had more opportunities to ride.

Velo Dog 04-19-13 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cplager (Post 15528285)
Go out for short, fun rides. Go out for a picnic lunch. Find somebody you like being with and ride with them.
Riding should be fun. Don't push it.

This. We're not talking rocket surgery here. Just go ride until you're half done, then ride home. Do it again tomorrow. It's spring; the girls are out running inn halter tops, what's not to like.

SurlyLaika 04-19-13 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyhuu (Post 15528381)
Take a bike vacation. Go to places with fantastic rides. Most of them are very scenic/mountainous so even if you still don't want to ride, there are other things to do there. My first passion is climbing rock or mountain. Now aday with family and kids I don't get to climb much that I don't even think too much about it but every now and then when I get to go, the trip just lighted up the fire in me just like the old day. For me that's not always necessary good because I don't get go again until God knows when so I have to find away to supress the fire. Luckily, that's where cycling comes in. Good luck.

So pretty much explore new places by bike. That's a good idea. I just wish I had a better layout of the land. I know 3km east, maybe 7km north, and 15 km west. Nothing south. It's kind of tough being unable to read maps or street signs and no GPS either. I do like exploring, though. Last week I found some farms to the east, got a little lost. Then it got dark and I had to find my way home fast, being without lights.

SurlyLaika 04-19-13 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velo Dog (Post 15530605)
This. We're not talking rocket surgery here. Just go ride until you're half done, then ride home. Do it again tomorrow. It's spring; the girls are out running inn halter tops, what's not to like.

You're right. It's spring. Winter was misery. I should be taking advantage of this rideable weather, but I have not been so I feel guilty. I don't want to associate guilt with riding, though. I just want to ride for fun. I go to the grocery store to work, but everything I need is within 20 minutes walking, so biking is only 10 minutes max to anywhere. In short, bicycle commuting is not where to get the good rides in.

krobinson103 04-19-13 09:13 PM

Quote:

sup, Kelly? It's Albert. You're a beast. As far as biking vs Gbus, you're right Gbus is terrible. Packed beyond what is possible. Jerky starts and stops, needing to hold on to the bars for dear life or risk falling. Subways can be useful to get me and my bike somewhere far. Inter-city buses, too, will sometimes takes bikes but city buses? NO. Anyway, I do ride my to get around to work, to the grocery store, etc but everything is so damned close I could just walk. I prefer to ride but back in California going to Target was actually a 45 minute round trip if not longer. I just wish I had more opportunities to ride.
Make em. Heck I just rode 140km starting at 4am this morning. VERY cold.... the rain really cooled things down. Time is there, you just have to use it. Also you could ride in the wrong direction for your shopping trip. Who says you have to go the closest place? I go to costco which is 15km away from my house simply because its further than the closer ones.

wahoonc 04-20-13 09:40 AM

It is 1.5 miles from my house to the grocery store...my wife still doesn't understand why it takes 4 hours.:roflmao2: :D

Aaron :)

krobinson103 04-22-13 07:21 AM

Because it can! Why else ride all day if not for no reason? :)

Nightshade 04-22-13 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurlyLaika (Post 15527794)
I used to really love riding bikes. I would ride everywhere, near and far. I'd ride in the rain sometimes. I'd religiously check my PSI and lubricate the chain. I did a 2,000 mile tour up and down California. I used to volunteer at a bicycle kitchen where I really enjoyed learning how bikes worked. I used to spend hours on bike forums and looking up reviews on components and reading bicycling blogs. Bicycling was my life. Back then I was a college student with a part time job and I lived in the suburbs of Los Angeles. Today I have a full time job as an English teacher in Korea and I still ride, but I don't feel the same passion for it as I did before. Maybe it's because of the craptastic weather here (frigid winters/hot and humid summers with no real middle ground) or maybe it's because the insane drivers and rough roads here drive me crazy, but I really wish I still had that old feeling. Don't get me wrong. I still ride but I kind of have to force myself to go. Before it was just such a integral part of my life that I didn't even think about it. How can I rekindle the old fire? Really, I need ideas. I want to get back into it before winter comes back.


Move back to the U.S. or forget about it.

kccommuter 04-22-13 12:35 PM

This worked for me www.nationalbikechallenge.org Its free and it starts next week. What I like about it is that it rewards you any day you bike at least 1 mile. It goes for 5 months and I have found it to be effective to keep me in the game. Good luck and hope things work out for you.

Artkansas 04-23-13 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurlyLaika (Post 15527794)
How can I rekindle the old fire? Really, I need ideas.

I suspect that the weather has an effect. L.A. is hard to beat bicycle weather wise. In part, it may also be because you are not in the bike culture you used to be, and not getting the same strokes from it as you did when young. Do you have any real-world biking friends in Korea who give you the same kinds of feedback as you got in your youth? Is there a bike kitchen there?

krobinson103 04-23-13 07:54 AM

Quote:

Is there a bike kitchen there?
Not in Korea. That sort of thing is uncommon. I lucked out with a bike shop that lets me use the tools as long I buy the parts from him. Also the bike culture is more about gear and less about riding - at least on the Korean side. There are some good facebook groups with real people to meet and ride with. As for the weather... its not that bad. Hot in summer, rains for a month during monsoon season, and is VERY cold in winter. All of it ridable... ice is so much fun but I managed.

knobster 04-23-13 12:16 PM

I was in Korea for a couple years when I was in the military and what my roommate and I use to do all the time was just jump on our bikes and go exploring. We'd get lost each and every time, but it was a lot of fun. We'd sometimes jump on the train and just point at something on the sign and go. No idea where we were heading but that made it all the more fun.

SurlyLaika 04-24-13 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onbike 1939 (Post 15528097)
Simple really.

Grow your hair in a pony tail, though this works better if you're balding.

Find an eighteen year-old girl-friend.

I'm having the same problem as you are but I'm seventy-three and ailing.

Being bald, I'm having trouble with the pony-tail bit but I'm not giving up hope.

I have a 21 year old girlfriend. Is that close enough? :innocent:

SurlyLaika 04-24-13 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 15542532)
I suspect that the weather has an effect. L.A. is hard to beat bicycle weather wise. In part, it may also be because you are not in the bike culture you used to be, and not getting the same strokes from it as you did when young. Do you have any real-world biking friends in Korea who give you the same kinds of feedback as you got in your youth? Is there a bike kitchen there?

um, not real world haha. Well, I know a few people. I did a short tour with some last fall. I'm gonna do a weekend tour with about 5 expats in May, but yea...L.A.weather is really tough to beat. I tell my girlfriend how pleasant and mild it is there all the time and she doesn't believe me. I also miss being able to go to any bike shop, just even to chat. There are bike shops here but I have to special order anything I want. I think if I just start riding more, I'll get back into the swing of it but my first benched winter really beat my cycling spirit down.

SurlyLaika 04-24-13 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knobster (Post 15543779)
I was in Korea for a couple years when I was in the military and what my roommate and I use to do all the time was just jump on our bikes and go exploring. We'd get lost each and every time, but it was a lot of fun. We'd sometimes jump on the train and just point at something on the sign and go. No idea where we were heading but that made it all the more fun.

That's actually a really good idea. I've done it before but there's always pressure to get back home before the sun goes down when nothing looks the same and the Korean landscape tends to lack character and looks almost exactly the same everywhere. I mean, it's easy to get lost. Did you usually do this in the day time? How many hours would a getting lost adventure take you?

SurlyLaika 04-24-13 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krobinson103 (Post 15542618)
Not in Korea. That sort of thing is uncommon. I lucked out with a bike shop that lets me use the tools as long I buy the parts from him. Also the bike culture is more about gear and less about riding - at least on the Korean side. There are some good facebook groups with real people to meet and ride with. As for the weather... its not that bad. Hot in summer, rains for a month during monsoon season, and is VERY cold in winter. All of it ridable... ice is so much fun but I managed.

haha, imagine a Korean riding a frankenbike of mismatched, used, and repaired parts. I noticed the other day this guy on a really nice bike was going really fast on the river path. I had trouble keeping up with him and suddenly he stopped at a bench and had a cigarette. I couldn't have been tailing him for much more than a kilometer. Just because someone has a blinging bike does not indicate that they use it to its full potential. Krobinson, where are you originally from?

SurlyLaika 04-24-13 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccommuter (Post 15539311)
This worked for me www.nationalbikechallenge.org Its free and it starts next week. What I like about it is that it rewards you any day you bike at least 1 mile. It goes for 5 months and I have found it to be effective to keep me in the game. Good luck and hope things work out for you.

Thanks, that definitely looks cool.

knobster 04-24-13 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurlyLaika (Post 15549465)
That's actually a really good idea. I've done it before but there's always pressure to get back home before the sun goes down when nothing looks the same and the Korean landscape tends to lack character and looks almost exactly the same everywhere. I mean, it's easy to get lost. Did you usually do this in the day time? How many hours would a getting lost adventure take you?

Usually on the weekend. Sometimes it would end up as an overnight but not always. Depends on what kind of trouble we found. :-)

How many hours depended on how interesting the new place we ended in was. Typically it would be at least 3-4 hours. Sometimes a couple days.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 PM.