Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-13, 10:27 PM   #1
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to be a bike nut, but I fell off the saddle. How can I get back on?

I used to really love riding bikes. I would ride everywhere, near and far. I'd ride in the rain sometimes. I'd religiously check my PSI and lubricate the chain. I did a 2,000 mile tour up and down California. I used to volunteer at a bicycle kitchen where I really enjoyed learning how bikes worked. I used to spend hours on bike forums and looking up reviews on components and reading bicycling blogs. Bicycling was my life. Back then I was a college student with a part time job and I lived in the suburbs of Los Angeles. Today I have a full time job as an English teacher in Korea and I still ride, but I don't feel the same passion for it as I did before. Maybe it's because of the craptastic weather here (frigid winters/hot and humid summers with no real middle ground) or maybe it's because the insane drivers and rough roads here drive me crazy, but I really wish I still had that old feeling. Don't get me wrong. I still ride but I kind of have to force myself to go. Before it was just such a integral part of my life that I didn't even think about it. How can I rekindle the old fire? Really, I need ideas. I want to get back into it before winter comes back.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 03:32 AM   #2
onbike 1939
Senior Member
 
onbike 1939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fife Scotland
Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit
Posts: 2,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
How can I rekindle the old fire? Really, I need ideas. I want to get back into it before winter comes back.
Simple really.

Grow your hair in a pony tail, though this works better if you're balding.

Find an eighteen year-old girl-friend.

I'm having the same problem as you are but I'm seventy-three and ailing.

Being bald, I'm having trouble with the pony-tail bit but I'm not giving up hope.
onbike 1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 05:40 AM   #3
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too live in Korea and teach English. Motorcycles distracted me, I sold them and my car so the ONLY way I have to get around is on my bikes. Given that I despise public transport my only option is to ride. I also ride 130-200km+ on the weekend for fun and do all my shopping and kid carrying by bike.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 06:04 AM   #4
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go out for short, fun rides. Go out for a picnic lunch. Find somebody you like being with and ride with them.

Riding should be fun. Don't push it.
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 06:49 AM   #5
hyhuu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NoVA
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take a bike vacation. Go to places with fantastic rides. Most of them are very scenic/mountainous so even if you still don't want to ride, there are other things to do there. My first passion is climbing rock or mountain. Now aday with family and kids I don't get to climb much that I don't even think too much about it but every now and then when I get to go, the trip just lighted up the fire in me just like the old day. For me that's not always necessary good because I don't get go again until God knows when so I have to find away to supress the fire. Luckily, that's where cycling comes in. Good luck.
hyhuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 08:43 AM   #6
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onbike 1939 View Post
Simple really.

Grow your hair in a pony tail, though this works better if you're balding.

Find an eighteen year-old girl-friend.

I'm having the same problem as you are but I'm seventy-three and ailing.

Being bald, I'm having trouble with the pony-tail bit but I'm not giving up hope.
Here is what you need...

Aaron

__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 08:47 AM   #7
Yo Spiff 
Carpe Velo
 
Yo Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
Posts: 2,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with the idea of just going for short casual rides. Don't worry about making any goals, just have fun. Maybe some casual group rides if you have anything like that where you are. I ride with a group that goes does pub crawls by bike. I don't drink much, but it's a fun group.
__________________
2000 Bianchi Veloce, 199x Bianchi Volpe, 199x Bianchi Boardwalk, 2010 Bianchi Milano, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, 198x Benotto Triathlon. '88 Schwinn Crosscut
Yo Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 05:13 PM   #8
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
I too live in Korea and teach English. Motorcycles distracted me, I sold them and my car so the ONLY way I have to get around is on my bikes. Given that I despise public transport my only option is to ride. I also ride 130-200km+ on the weekend for fun and do all my shopping and kid carrying by bike.
sup, Kelly? It's Albert. You're a beast. As far as biking vs Gbus, you're right Gbus is terrible. Packed beyond what is possible. Jerky starts and stops, needing to hold on to the bars for dear life or risk falling. Subways can be useful to get me and my bike somewhere far. Inter-city buses, too, will sometimes takes bikes but city buses? NO. Anyway, I do ride my to get around to work, to the grocery store, etc but everything is so damned close I could just walk. I prefer to ride but back in California going to Target was actually a 45 minute round trip if not longer. I just wish I had more opportunities to ride.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 05:23 PM   #9
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplager View Post
Go out for short, fun rides. Go out for a picnic lunch. Find somebody you like being with and ride with them.
Riding should be fun. Don't push it.
This. We're not talking rocket surgery here. Just go ride until you're half done, then ride home. Do it again tomorrow. It's spring; the girls are out running inn halter tops, what's not to like.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 05:26 PM   #10
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyhuu View Post
Take a bike vacation. Go to places with fantastic rides. Most of them are very scenic/mountainous so even if you still don't want to ride, there are other things to do there. My first passion is climbing rock or mountain. Now aday with family and kids I don't get to climb much that I don't even think too much about it but every now and then when I get to go, the trip just lighted up the fire in me just like the old day. For me that's not always necessary good because I don't get go again until God knows when so I have to find away to supress the fire. Luckily, that's where cycling comes in. Good luck.
So pretty much explore new places by bike. That's a good idea. I just wish I had a better layout of the land. I know 3km east, maybe 7km north, and 15 km west. Nothing south. It's kind of tough being unable to read maps or street signs and no GPS either. I do like exploring, though. Last week I found some farms to the east, got a little lost. Then it got dark and I had to find my way home fast, being without lights.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 05:28 PM   #11
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
This. We're not talking rocket surgery here. Just go ride until you're half done, then ride home. Do it again tomorrow. It's spring; the girls are out running inn halter tops, what's not to like.
You're right. It's spring. Winter was misery. I should be taking advantage of this rideable weather, but I have not been so I feel guilty. I don't want to associate guilt with riding, though. I just want to ride for fun. I go to the grocery store to work, but everything I need is within 20 minutes walking, so biking is only 10 minutes max to anywhere. In short, bicycle commuting is not where to get the good rides in.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 09:13 PM   #12
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
sup, Kelly? It's Albert. You're a beast. As far as biking vs Gbus, you're right Gbus is terrible. Packed beyond what is possible. Jerky starts and stops, needing to hold on to the bars for dear life or risk falling. Subways can be useful to get me and my bike somewhere far. Inter-city buses, too, will sometimes takes bikes but city buses? NO. Anyway, I do ride my to get around to work, to the grocery store, etc but everything is so damned close I could just walk. I prefer to ride but back in California going to Target was actually a 45 minute round trip if not longer. I just wish I had more opportunities to ride.
Make em. Heck I just rode 140km starting at 4am this morning. VERY cold.... the rain really cooled things down. Time is there, you just have to use it. Also you could ride in the wrong direction for your shopping trip. Who says you have to go the closest place? I go to costco which is 15km away from my house simply because its further than the closer ones.

Last edited by krobinson103; 04-19-13 at 09:17 PM.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 09:40 AM   #13
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is 1.5 miles from my house to the grocery store...my wife still doesn't understand why it takes 4 hours.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 07:21 AM   #14
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because it can! Why else ride all day if not for no reason?
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 08:28 AM   #15
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
I used to really love riding bikes. I would ride everywhere, near and far. I'd ride in the rain sometimes. I'd religiously check my PSI and lubricate the chain. I did a 2,000 mile tour up and down California. I used to volunteer at a bicycle kitchen where I really enjoyed learning how bikes worked. I used to spend hours on bike forums and looking up reviews on components and reading bicycling blogs. Bicycling was my life. Back then I was a college student with a part time job and I lived in the suburbs of Los Angeles. Today I have a full time job as an English teacher in Korea and I still ride, but I don't feel the same passion for it as I did before. Maybe it's because of the craptastic weather here (frigid winters/hot and humid summers with no real middle ground) or maybe it's because the insane drivers and rough roads here drive me crazy, but I really wish I still had that old feeling. Don't get me wrong. I still ride but I kind of have to force myself to go. Before it was just such a integral part of my life that I didn't even think about it. How can I rekindle the old fire? Really, I need ideas. I want to get back into it before winter comes back.

Move back to the U.S. or forget about it.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 12:35 PM   #16
kccommuter
Senior Member
 
kccommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Appleton, WI
Bikes: '10 Trek Soho
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This worked for me www.nationalbikechallenge.org Its free and it starts next week. What I like about it is that it rewards you any day you bike at least 1 mile. It goes for 5 months and I have found it to be effective to keep me in the game. Good luck and hope things work out for you.
kccommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 07:35 AM   #17
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
How can I rekindle the old fire? Really, I need ideas.
I suspect that the weather has an effect. L.A. is hard to beat bicycle weather wise. In part, it may also be because you are not in the bike culture you used to be, and not getting the same strokes from it as you did when young. Do you have any real-world biking friends in Korea who give you the same kinds of feedback as you got in your youth? Is there a bike kitchen there?
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 07:54 AM   #18
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Is there a bike kitchen there?
Not in Korea. That sort of thing is uncommon. I lucked out with a bike shop that lets me use the tools as long I buy the parts from him. Also the bike culture is more about gear and less about riding - at least on the Korean side. There are some good facebook groups with real people to meet and ride with. As for the weather... its not that bad. Hot in summer, rains for a month during monsoon season, and is VERY cold in winter. All of it ridable... ice is so much fun but I managed.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 12:16 PM   #19
knobster
.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in Korea for a couple years when I was in the military and what my roommate and I use to do all the time was just jump on our bikes and go exploring. We'd get lost each and every time, but it was a lot of fun. We'd sometimes jump on the train and just point at something on the sign and go. No idea where we were heading but that made it all the more fun.
__________________
Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.
knobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 06:24 PM   #20
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onbike 1939 View Post
Simple really.

Grow your hair in a pony tail, though this works better if you're balding.

Find an eighteen year-old girl-friend.

I'm having the same problem as you are but I'm seventy-three and ailing.

Being bald, I'm having trouble with the pony-tail bit but I'm not giving up hope.
I have a 21 year old girlfriend. Is that close enough?
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 06:29 PM   #21
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
I suspect that the weather has an effect. L.A. is hard to beat bicycle weather wise. In part, it may also be because you are not in the bike culture you used to be, and not getting the same strokes from it as you did when young. Do you have any real-world biking friends in Korea who give you the same kinds of feedback as you got in your youth? Is there a bike kitchen there?
um, not real world haha. Well, I know a few people. I did a short tour with some last fall. I'm gonna do a weekend tour with about 5 expats in May, but yea...L.A.weather is really tough to beat. I tell my girlfriend how pleasant and mild it is there all the time and she doesn't believe me. I also miss being able to go to any bike shop, just even to chat. There are bike shops here but I have to special order anything I want. I think if I just start riding more, I'll get back into the swing of it but my first benched winter really beat my cycling spirit down.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 06:32 PM   #22
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobster View Post
I was in Korea for a couple years when I was in the military and what my roommate and I use to do all the time was just jump on our bikes and go exploring. We'd get lost each and every time, but it was a lot of fun. We'd sometimes jump on the train and just point at something on the sign and go. No idea where we were heading but that made it all the more fun.
That's actually a really good idea. I've done it before but there's always pressure to get back home before the sun goes down when nothing looks the same and the Korean landscape tends to lack character and looks almost exactly the same everywhere. I mean, it's easy to get lost. Did you usually do this in the day time? How many hours would a getting lost adventure take you?
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 06:35 PM   #23
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
Not in Korea. That sort of thing is uncommon. I lucked out with a bike shop that lets me use the tools as long I buy the parts from him. Also the bike culture is more about gear and less about riding - at least on the Korean side. There are some good facebook groups with real people to meet and ride with. As for the weather... its not that bad. Hot in summer, rains for a month during monsoon season, and is VERY cold in winter. All of it ridable... ice is so much fun but I managed.
haha, imagine a Korean riding a frankenbike of mismatched, used, and repaired parts. I noticed the other day this guy on a really nice bike was going really fast on the river path. I had trouble keeping up with him and suddenly he stopped at a bench and had a cigarette. I couldn't have been tailing him for much more than a kilometer. Just because someone has a blinging bike does not indicate that they use it to its full potential. Krobinson, where are you originally from?
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 06:39 PM   #24
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kccommuter View Post
This worked for me www.nationalbikechallenge.org Its free and it starts next week. What I like about it is that it rewards you any day you bike at least 1 mile. It goes for 5 months and I have found it to be effective to keep me in the game. Good luck and hope things work out for you.
Thanks, that definitely looks cool.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 08:03 PM   #25
knobster
.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
That's actually a really good idea. I've done it before but there's always pressure to get back home before the sun goes down when nothing looks the same and the Korean landscape tends to lack character and looks almost exactly the same everywhere. I mean, it's easy to get lost. Did you usually do this in the day time? How many hours would a getting lost adventure take you?
Usually on the weekend. Sometimes it would end up as an overnight but not always. Depends on what kind of trouble we found. :-)

How many hours depended on how interesting the new place we ended in was. Typically it would be at least 3-4 hours. Sometimes a couple days.
__________________
Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.
knobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 PM.