Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What lock to get on a budget, please?

    Hello,

    I'm getting a new bike (my first one) (Marin 29" bolinas ridge) and I can't decide what is the right lock to get for security.
    I found TRELOCK BS450 but its quite a lot of money, so is it worth it? Or would you recommend something different?
    Please let me know what your experience or tips are. I shall have the bike on tuesday for my bday

    Thank you guys

  2. #2
    GT4
    GT4 is offline
    Goofy Goober GT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Fuji SL 3.0, Motobecane Track, Specialized Rockhopper FS, low track standard
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard to spend 10% of the price of the bike on a lock. I use the Kryptonite NY standard u-lock. I've used it to lock up my carbon road bike and track bike.

    I bought my roadie for $1000 plus a few upgrades and my track bike for $280 plus $300 wheelset upgrade. Both haven't been stolen... YET.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the most u can spend 4 a lock?

  4. #4
    Senior Member gregjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Georgia
    My Bikes
    K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
    Posts
    1,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got one of these Knog locks:
    http://www.amazon.com/Knog-Bouncer-U...ords=knog+lock

    I wanted something different than the "everyday" U-Lock that the thieves have already defeated a dozen times. It's not the usual "U" that locks into a bar.

    The lock cover/coating is nice. It's a rubber material that I think will be nice to the paint. I don't think that the average crackhead could pick the lock...the key is weird. It's very strong.

    The only drawback is the same as with any other lock....weight.

  5. #5
    Senior Member gregjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Georgia
    My Bikes
    K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
    Posts
    1,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfiber View Post
    What's the most u can spend 4 a lock?
    As much as you have................more than your bike costs??

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For economy, look at a BIG-ass log chain and the biggest padlock the links will take. IMO, the most reliable locking method is a combo, heavy lock/chain (trapezoidal links, hardened), and a U-lock. Although it's easy to cut, heavy-duty, auto-trailer-type cable through the wheels will deter opportunists. (I say auto-trailer because I've seen 9/16" cable in the RV sections....)

    I have the cable, 3/8" thick by 9 feet long, works to hook up multiple bikes; I also have a foot-long Master U-lock, and a 4' Oxford chain/padlock combo with the trapezoidal links. I can take my bike in the building at work, but if I'm going somewhere else for any length of time, 2 locks go if I'm alone, all 3 if my kids are with me -- plus, my daughter has her own U-lock, a 9" Kryptonite. Bike theft is a crime of opportunity here, pure amateur dullards (thankfully!), I've NEVER had a bike stolen under my care.

    ANECDOTE: I had a Schwinn 10-speed back in the 70's; after getting my first car, it basically sat around. My best friend borrowed the Schwinn, and had it stolen & stripped from off of his enclosed back porch. Turned out to be his COUSIN who stole it. The bike cost me $55, my buddy paid me $45 for it, and took it out of his cousin's hide.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford that TRELOCK BS450, you can afford the Kryptonite Evo Mini AND locking skewers to secure the seat and wheels. The locking skewers are a pretty darn good alternative to buying a separate lock or cable to secure both wheels and the seat. Skewers: http://amzn.to/11vKMS4

    I've used the Evo Mini combined with skewers for over a year now and nothing has been stolen. I often lock up outside, including sometimes overnight. There are plenty of bikes locked up in my neighborhood with missing wheels, seats, handlebar grips, brakes, etc.

  8. #8
    Senior Member FlatSix911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    1,596
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,044
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you afford to replace the bike when the budget lock is defeated?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys so far for the advice. I think my budget is max 70EUR which is almost $100.
    The problem I have is that I have no clue what is secure and what is not. So, I want to get something that is not easily defeated and the thief would have to come prepared specifically with the intention to steal MY bike. I dont' want a thief with a random clippers to be able to just come and take it.
    I am aware that if a thief sets his eyes on my bike then he will steal it anyway as he will first observe what types of locks I have and then maybe next day he will come and steal it. Unfortunately, that is something one cannot stop as those thieves will always have something to break your security if they have time to prepare for it.

    I was adviced to use the U lock + a cable that would go through the U lock and would secure the wheels.

    So my question is, what is good to use and what to look for or perhaps pls tell me which ones are enough. Lock is something that I do not want to pay for a brand but rather for a quality (or effectiveness).

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloor View Post
    Thank you guys so far for the advice. I think my budget is max 70EUR which is almost $100.
    The problem I have is that I have no clue what is secure and what is not. So, I want to get something that is not easily defeated and the thief would have to come prepared specifically with the intention to steal MY bike. I dont' want a thief with a random clippers to be able to just come and take it.
    I am aware that if a thief sets his eyes on my bike then he will steal it anyway as he will first observe what types of locks I have and then maybe next day he will come and steal it. Unfortunately, that is something one cannot stop as those thieves will always have something to break your security if they have time to prepare for it.

    I was adviced to use the U lock + a cable that would go through the U lock and would secure the wheels.

    So my question is, what is good to use and what to look for or perhaps pls tell me which ones are enough. Lock is something that I do not want to pay for a brand but rather for a quality (or effectiveness).
    Watch this video:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZDq1vkiZwA

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is cool, thanks.

    Now, what is the difference between Trelock and the Cutter one? The price difference is huge so I wonder what is the price/performance value in there?
    What do you guys use and what would u suggest for a bike that is 650EUR, please?
    My budget is 70EUR as I mentioned earlier

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys think or know about this? Some people recommend it but in the shop the owner told me that there is a risk that it can break in those joints. Any feedback on it?

    http://www.amazon.de/ABUS-Faltschlos.../dp/B00495ZE9E

  14. #14
    Senior Member SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,389
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloor View Post
    What do you guys think or know about this? Some people recommend it but in the shop the owner told me that there is a risk that it can break in those joints. Any feedback on it?

    http://www.amazon.de/ABUS-Faltschlos.../dp/B00495ZE9E
    I think before I got something like that, I'd get something like this...
    http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Kry...=IP5LDU9MAZUKR
    Hey guys, lets go play bikes!

    Strava

  15. #15
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    can you afford to replace the bike when the budget lock is defeated?
    The cheapest lock that you can get for your bike will be about 90% effective because it forces the thief to have some kind of tool to defeat it. As you progress from 90% effective to 99% effective you engage in a progressively more high tech and more expensive game of one-up-man-ship with the thief. There is no 100% safe. If the thief has the time and technology you will ultimately always lose.

    Where do you plan to lock up your bike? Check out what other bikes are parked there and try always to park near a nicer bike that has a less secure locking system.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend a Kryptonite New York Forget-about-it (don't remember the spelling) or the Kryptonite Evolution Mini (5 or 7). I bought the Mini 7, and like it - it isn't as heavy as the NY locks, but is supposed to have good protection nevertheless.

    Another factor I looked at was key-stuck-in-lock situations. I wanted to buy the Onguard equivalent of the Evo Mini, but read a lot of accounts of keys getting in locks. Evo Mini users seemed to have less issues of those sort to report.
    http://treadrightly.blogspot.com/

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello guys,

    thank you for your help so far. I've managed to find a nice offer for the TRELOCK BS450 but can't decide if I need 300mm or if 230mm is enough. Unfortunately, I can't see it in person so do you think its ok to go for 230 or is it too short?
    My bike is http://www.marinbikes.de/bikes/#ht29...nas_ridge_29er

    Thank you very much for your suggestions

  18. #18
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloor View Post
    Hello guys,

    thank you for your help so far. I've managed to find a nice offer for the TRELOCK BS450 but can't decide if I need 300mm or if 230mm is enough. Unfortunately, I can't see it in person so do you think its ok to go for 230 or is it too short?
    My bike is http://www.marinbikes.de/bikes/#ht29...nas_ridge_29er

    Thank you very much for your suggestions
    Longer makes it easier to wrap the lock around a pole or something substantial.

    It's better to fill up the loop of a U-lock so that a thief can't fit a car jack into it. Shorter is better for that.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treadtread View Post
    I'd recommend a Kryptonite New York Forget-about-it (don't remember the spelling) or the Kryptonite Evolution Mini (5 or 7). I bought the Mini 7, and like it - it isn't as heavy as the NY locks, but is supposed to have good protection nevertheless.

    Another factor I looked at was key-stuck-in-lock situations. I wanted to buy the Onguard equivalent of the Evo Mini, but read a lot of accounts of keys getting in locks. Evo Mini users seemed to have less issues of those sort to report.
    Someone else posted a video of a "Fahgettaboutit" lock being defeated in about 10 seconds; they used a 3' bolt cutter.

  20. #20
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To OP: Happy birthday!

    Quote Originally Posted by FlatSix911 View Post
    Do you know the length & width of this lock? Is the low price a reflection of the quality?

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    6367 km away from the center of the Earth
    Posts
    1,065
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  22. #22
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,252
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a "Keep it simple stupid" fan so this lock will protect as well as any other since if a thief want's your bike their gonna get it.

    http://www.amazon.com/MASTERLOCK-719...ike+lock+cable

    http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-81...ike+lock+cable
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arghhhhh....... now that I have ordered the Trelock BS450 you post the extensive test. )) So unlucky. ))
    Well, I can't cancel now but I hope it was a good purchase. After all its quite expensive so hope it was money well spent. It's not in the test so lets hope I won't get unlucky
    Thank you all for chipping in with suggestions. I'm sure it will be helpful to others also
    Thanks

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    6367 km away from the center of the Earth
    Posts
    1,065
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I'm a "Keep it simple stupid" fan so this lock will protect as well as any other since if a thief want's your bike their gonna get it.

    http://www.amazon.com/MASTERLOCK-719...ike+lock+cable

    http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-81...ike+lock+cable
    It doesn't work like that.
    With a good lock you can stop most of the thieves who haven't the proper tools with them. A lock stopping 90% of the thieves is a hell of a lot better than a lock stopping only 5% of them. For instance, the fact that you don't have the flu all year long (i hope) or you don't get sick from drinking water every day are good examples. With those locks above you're preventing only the most opportunistic thieves from steeling your bike as nearly all the tools available and a simple bolt cutter in particular will defeat those cable locks in a few seconds or minutes. The stronger the lock the lesser options and time are available for the thief.
    Last edited by erig007; 05-13-13 at 01:42 PM.

  25. #25
    apocryphal sobriquet J.C. Koto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Star City, NE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "Bichael Velosteem"
    Posts
    647
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I wouldn't trust any Master brand dial-type combination lock (or any other brand for that matter) since a good kick or tap with a rock will open them right up in less then 5 seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •